What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler withdraws Knights offer

perverse

Referee
to be honest, when i really think about it, i don't think any single party involved in this is 100% in the right with their actions. they've all f**ked up somewhere.

All the board wanted to do after all,when they had a QUICK LOOK at a document reportedly 3 inches thick(4 days to read a DRAFT from the Tinkler group, who WANTED an answer at a MEETING at 2-30PM, 4 days later) was a reply to a few APPARENTLY very sketchy points.

When the board mentioned that they had a few questions they would like cleared up, Tinkler himself (NOT TSG) threw his toys out of the cot, because he realised that he had the wrong ones.

He (Tinkler) didnt know what points were sketchy even.........doesnt that say that he DIDNT even want to discuss anything .

Just give me the money seemed to be his motto, how dare you doubt MY WORD :crazy::crazy:

KempoKnight

Juniors
IT'S on again. Tinkler's offer, lodged yesterday afternoon, prompted the Newcastle board to hastily convene last night - and the warring parties now appear ready to broker a rich new peace.

"Negotiations will continue but it's fair to say there has been a major breakthrough," a source said. But The Daily Telegraph has obtained documents that reveal how close the Tinkler deal came to being derailed by an ugly and hugely expensive legal war that was still being waged yesterday.

The documents show Knights chairman Robert Tew chased Tinkler for $42,675 for his corporate suite at EnergyAustralia Stadium last season.

And a furious Tinkler responded by asserting that the Knights, in fact, owed him $457,000 from an old loan of $500,000 in 2008.

Start of sidebar. http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...kler/story-e6frep5x-1226011035394#sidebar-end

He had given the club until Monday to begin repaying the loan or else he would add more than $100,000 in interest charges.

But with the threats flying both ways, last night it emerged that Tinkler's lawyers had lodged a third bid. It is understood the deal is still for a guarantee of $100 million over 10 years but the structure and wording of the offer has changed.

"If a formal proposal is now

drawn up and presented in the same way it was tonight, the board will support the offer and take it to a meeting of Knights members to be ratified," a source said last night.

It is understood the meeting to decide the future of the club will be held around the end of March.

With board support, the deal appears certain to go through.

Former Knights board member and current NIB chief executive Mark Fitzgibbons has been a key intermediary between the two organisations over the past 48 hours.

The breakthrough came as the members' petition to overthrow the current Knights board reached about 140 signatures - 40 more than was needed to force an extraordinary general meeting.

NRL boss David Gallop also entered the fray yesterday to back the Knights' management over their reluctance to accept Tinkler's offer in its earlier form.

The Knights have been secretly chasing the Tinkler corporate suite money through a series of text messages between chairman Tew and Tinkler. A source close to the club said: "Nathan told Rob Tew several weeks ago he would pay the next day, then sent him a text the next day saying he would pay by the end of that week. No payment has been made."

A series of documents leaked to The Daily Telegraph reveal the details of the squabble between the membership-owned club and one of Australia's richest men. They show that at 10am on November 9 last year, Tinkler personally emailed Tew after his first round of negotiations to buy the Knights had stalled.

"I thought my offer was incredibly generous and would appeal to the community at large but you are too good for me," he wrote.

"I will have Troy [Palmer] work with Steve [Burraston] on the forgiveness of the outstanding loan as my final gesture of supporting the club. There is no more I can do.

"On that basis I rescind the offer [to buy the club] made yesterday and wish you all the best in the future with the club. I now consider this matter closed."

In an apparent backflip, a letter signed by the Tinkler Group's chief financial officer Troy Palmer to the Knights two months later demanded full repayment of the original loan - minus what was owing on the corporate suite.

The Tinkler Group issued the following statement last night:

"We tried to work with Steve on forgiving the loan through a reasonably simple commercial negotiation, but this proved to be too difficult to achieve. We then tried to convert the loan into a sponsorship agreement, which unfortunately didn't occur except for the contra taken up in the 2010 box, as shown by an email from the club. Everything we have done over the last few years has been directed at supporting the club, including our offer to privatise it."

So looks like the offers back on. Thoughts guys? Im waiting to see what exactly this new offer entails, but judging buy the board backing it after all the recent crap you would assume its all good to go.

Serc

First Grade
It sounds like the proper version of the 2nd proposal made back in Jan has now been produced...given the apparent positive response of the board :) fantastic news!

As we've already got a members meeting scheduled for Monday, it would be used to explain the Tinkler offer instead...ahead of the members vote in a few weeks time.

If this 'source' is on the money, then Burro and Tew may have made the biggest masterstroke of their entire time serving the club.

perverse

Referee
on the first half of the email - on the surface it looks like we called his bluff. i really wish they would stop referring to the petition as a petition for a vote of no confidence, unless it's a different petition than the one that was started Monday night. the man that started it, Mark, would be a hypocrite if he wasn't frustrated by this reporting himself.

if Burro, Tew and the rest of the board give it a thumbs up after all of this... i can't see a reason not to vote it through. some might argue that they are buckling and just getting out of his way... but i strongly doubt it. let's just wait and see, shall we?

perverse

Referee
Serc, the meeting on Monday was always to discuss both proposals. They intended to explain why negotiations fell apart to the members directly, as well as discuss the Patrons Trust, although obviously this may change now. we've still got another 4 days. it seems much can happen in 4 days.

Serc

First Grade
Was it? Shows you what I know (been reading so many bloody articles they are probably all melting into one)

Though I guess that if all of this is true...that doesn't matter anyway :) hehehe

So excited! (again should these good indicators be true)

perverse

Referee
um, holy sh*t at this article? particularly the bottom? lol?

Why the Knights took the fight to Tinkler

066129-knights-docs.jpg

NRL boss David Gallop has supported Newcastle's reluctance to sell the Knights to mining magnate Nathan Tinkler under the current terms.
Gallop met with the club's CEO Steve Burraston and Knights lawyers this week to get an update on the negotiations that have split the Newcastle community and its army of rugby league supporters.
"It is perfectly reasonable to run a fine toothcomb over a proposal that would see ownership of a club passed over from the members to a private individual - that's a massive step," Gallop said.
"The Knights are loved by all Novocastrians and they are not on the brink of financial trouble. In fact, with the new grandstand and new television money coming up, the club's financial position will only improve in the years ahead.

"I have spoken to Burro in the last 24 hours. They are not opposed to private ownership but are within their rights to be looking for a deal that warrants such a massive change."Gallop's comments came on the day the fight for the Knights turned ugly when it was revealed Tinkler owed the Knights $42,000 for his corporate box at Energy Australia Stadium last year.
Tinkler fired back claiming he was, in fact, owed $457,000 by the club from a loan in 2008.
It was also confirmed the NRL was launching an investigation into Tinkler's phone call to Sharks forward Kade Snowden and whether the player had a legal commitment to the Sharks after verbally agreeing to terms.The prop has told the Sharks he was offered $2 million over five years.
The battle
No wonder Tinkler wants a slice of the action. The Knights are a profit-making business.
They've made a profit for the last two years, one of only three NRL clubs to do so, despite operating on game days with half a stadium and losing $1.7 million in revenue from demolishing and rebuilding the new stand.
Increased club grants from the NRL Independent Commission and the re-negotiation of television rights for 2013 stand to deliver a significant financial windfall for all NRL clubs and make the Knights an even more valuable asset with the potential of making millions a year.
On top of that, there is the likelihood of all clubs getting an extra $1.5 million a year from the sports gambling case of bookmakers being charged for using the game's intellectual property, as has happened in racing.
There is an argument that Tinkler has never actually made a $100 million offer. That it would only be $100 million sale if the Knights didn't have a single sponsor for the next 10 years.
They sold $7 million worth of sponsorship last year and have about the same this season on top of commitments for 2012 and 2013.
"If they've been getting $7 million from sponsors while the team has been struggling, imagine what they'll they become when they are a bit more competitive," said one insider. "In five years they could easily be getting $12 million a year.
"That means Tinkler owns the club but puts absolutely nothing in. Not a cent. Not a bad deal for him and much better than Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court got when they paid with their own cash and lots of it for Souths."
The control freak
COACHES, recruitment managers and chief executives are normally in charge of negotiating with and signing the players.
Not Tinkler. He rang State of Origin prop Kade Snowden himself last week and asked him not to sign with the Sharks because he wanted him in Newcastle.
No one at the Knights was even consulted. How did he know coach Rick Stone and recruitment guru Keith Onslow didn't want Dave Shillington or Tom Learoyd-Lahrs? Or even big Matthew Scott from the Cowboys?
The same with Jamal Idris. How does Tinkler know the coach didn't want Michael Jennings, Joel Reddy or Shaun Kenny-Dowall?
Racing interests
Tinkler has form in the thoroughbred industry.
Anthony Cummings was the first of several trainers he withdrew Patinack Farm-owned horses from. Others were Mick Price, Jason Coyle and Gabrielle Englebrecht.
Cummings and Tinkler are now locked in a court battle.
Andrew Johns
Knights legend Johns attacked the club's directors in yesterday's The Daily Telegraph. Johns left the coaching staff recently over a row about his payments.
"What the hell are they doing? We don't want Greg Bird playing for Gold Coast. We don't want Kade Snowden at Cronulla. We don't want Dane Tilse playing for Canberra," Johns said.
Tinkler's wallet wouldn't have saved any of them.
Bird left for Cronulla at the end of 2001.
It was the year the Knights won the premiership and spent all their money keeping their grand final heroes.
Kade Snowden joined Cronulla because coach Brian Smith didn't want him.
They had the money under the cap to keep him but wanted others instead, including Danny Wicks and Chris Houston from St George-Illawarra.
Dane Tilse ... he was sacked for jumping into bed with a female university student in a drunken incident in Bathurst in 2005.
Like the others, money had no bearing on him leaving.
The same applies to Roosters rookie Boyd Cordner, the teenager featured on the back page yesterday.
The Knights had plenty of money to keep him - but again, Brian Smith didn't want him.
Pressure tactics
Tinkler has a way of getting what he wants.
With the Knights it's a case of: take the offer or I'll get my highly-paid PR advisers to orchestrate a media campaign to throw you out of office.
Enter Tim Allerton, the managing director of City PR who handles the accounts of many of Sydney's biggest movers and shakers. He also handled Crowe and Holmes a Court's purchase of Souths.
He doesn't allow journalists who talk to Tinkler to grill him about the Knights offer. Interviews are done by email - or not at all.
Enter Richard Fisk, the veteran footy administrator and media man who has spent the last eight weeks leaking negative stories about the Knights to anyone who cares to take his phone calls.
Last night Newcastle directors were meeting to consider a new offer from Tinkler's lawyers. In the wake of this offer, another chapter in the dispute could be written as early as today.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...fight-to-tinkler/story-e6frexnr-1226010984983

is Rothfield actually going in to bat for us in this article... or is he just stirring up more drama?

Serc

First Grade
What the flying f**k?

The Telegraph (and their super dooper #1 sports editor, Master Rothfield at that) writing an article with that last paragraph you just pointed out mr pervy?

The same paper that has been one of the key orchestrators of the pro-Tinkler anti-Knights campaign this week (and longer term too)?

To quote Gus - UNBELIEVEABLE

Edit: Also nice to see dear old Gallop going into bat for the Knights admin too :)

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
I still want Tinkler to end up running the Knights, but it's getting harder and harder to like the guy.
He reminds me of the old saying, 'The problem with the rat race is that even when you win, you are still a rat.'
Burraston and Tew are doing their job against tremendous odds. I hope they can broker a really good deal for the fans and the club, and I hope too much of the sh*t being thrown doesn't stick to them in the end, because they don't deserve that.

Serc

First Grade
Tinkler returns to negotiating table with 'clarified' offer
BY BRETT KEEBLE AND ROBERT DILLON
24 Feb, 2011 04:00 AM

1126173.jpg

TALKS: Knights chief executive Steve Burraston yesterday.

Nathan Tinkler's bid to take over the Knights is back on the table after a dramatic day in which NIB chief executive and former club director Mark Fitzgibbon played peacemaker between the warring parties.
Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards said a "clarified" version of Tinkler's 10-year, $100million proposal had been forwarded to Knights chief executive Steve Burraston and chairman Rob Tew last night for discussion at the club's monthly board meeting.
Fitzgibbon would not comment when contacted by the Newcastle Herald last night.
Edwards said the TSG approached Fitzgibbon to act as an intermediary because he was a former Knights director, a "very smart" businessman and was "passionate" about Newcastle's NRL side.
"I'm happy to confirm that in our view the deal was too important for Newcastle and the region to let it fall over. That's the first thing," Edwards said last night.
"Secondly, to try and get the parties talking together again we engaged the services of Mark Fitzgibbon, and he was able to do that.
"He was able to present a clarified offer to the Knights board and they've agreed to consider it."
Edwards hoped the revised deal would meet with the Knights' approval.
"We're not wasting our time. We wouldn't recommence negotiations with them if we didn't think we could satisfy or explain the issues that they had raised," he said.
Edwards said the clarifications were "reasonably straightforward" and the TSG would await a response from the Knights.
Speaking after the meeting last night, Tew said no agreement had been reached yet but "the parties are talking, we've considered a revised offer and we'll wait on the documentation".
Tew was confident of resolving their differences with TSG and reaching an agreement on the revised proposal by the weekend.
Speaking before last night'smeting, Burraston said: "Until we see what's in that offer, it would be premature for me to comment any further, but as I've always said, if the deal is right, we'd be happy to support it."
Burraston said any new offer would still be subject to scrutiny by the board and their legal counsel but, irrespective of the outcome of that process, the Herald understands Knights members will get to vote on Tinkler's third attempt to take control of the NRL club.
Since making an upgraded offer on January 17, Tinkler always maintained that bid was for 10 years and would guarantee the Knights up to $10million in annual sponsorship revenue.
After the Knights sought clarification on four issues - the definition of sponsorship revenue, members' buy-back rights, the guaranteed term of the deal, and junior development expenditure - an exasperated Tinkler withdrew his proposal on Monday and said he would not negotiate with the Knights under the management of Burraston and Tew.
It is understood the revised proposal will address the four main sticking points and will be structured in a simpler, more straightforward document.
More than 75% of Knights members would have to vote in favour of Tinkler's proposal to make the necessary changes to the club's constitution.
The multimillionaire mining and racing magnate already owns the Jets A-League soccer franchise and is determined to run a "Team Newcastle" sporting super club.
After Tinkler withdrew his offer on Monday, the Knights announced they would instead pursue a patrons' trust funding model, worth between $6million and $10million in the next four years.
One of the three patrons, Andrew Poole, explained on Tuesday that the money was a donation and not a loan that needed to be repaid. Exactly what impact the events of yesterday and last night will have on the proposed patrons' trust remains to be seen.
The Knights had planned to publish a full-page advertisement in the Herald today, outlining their reasons why they could not recommend Tinkler's offer.
But Burraston, having been instructed by the board, contacted the Herald at 6pm yesterday to withdraw that advertisement.
Earlier in the day, Burraston met with members of the supporters club, the Excalibur Club, the Carlson Club, the Knights Crusade and the Knights Nanas to brief them on the Tinkler issue and the Patrons' Trust.
It is understood the Knights will proceed with a members' information session scheduled for next Monday night to update members on the dramatic developments of the past four days.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ating-table-with-clarified-offer/2085453.aspx

PrideKnight

Bench
After everything I have heard in the past 2 days, I don't want a bar of the fat f**ks money. He's nothing but a petulant child, and showing what a control freak he is. If he does purchase the club, we as members would no longer have any input whatsoever, and to me, given what he has shown of his way of dealing with things he doesn't like, that just won't cut the mustard.

cram

Bench
Rothfield's article puts the fact on the table and articulates what many of us have understood about the big man.

If Tinkler gets the club, and I still believe he will it will be like Roopy says "strap yourself in and be prepared for the ride of your life"

Just a point that i,d like to bring up is this.

A few SELECT ppl were summoned to a meeting yesterday morning at Knights HQ, apparently to discuss CERTAIN THINGS. I as a member want to know why these ppl were "selected", why couldnt those certain things be discussed with ALL MEMBERS on Monday, not just select few................is anyone else pissed off about this, or am I a lone soldier.

PrideKnight

Bench
everything that was discussed yesterday is being discussed monday. Don't believe the hype dave, it wasnt a clandestine meeting of any sort. Members have to be given 7 days notice of any official meeting, a group of people do not.

Alex28

Coach
So the Knights obviously got the letter of demand to repay the loan, and then Tew issued the correspondence to the members about the weaknesses of his offer?

Both parties need to enrol in Negotiations 101 pronto. Both sides are acting amazingly immaturely.

The deal was doomed (still might be) purely down to the people negotiating.

Alex28

Coach
Just a point that i,d like to bring up is this.

A few SELECT ppl were summoned to a meeting yesterday morning at Knights HQ, apparently to discuss CERTAIN THINGS. I as a member want to know why these ppl were "selected", why couldnt those certain things be discussed with ALL MEMBERS on Monday, not just select few................is anyone else pissed off about this, or am I a lone soldier.
Reading too much into it.

Latest posts