What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler withdraws Knights offer

slotmachine

First Grade
Nathan Tinkler has responded to the claims of Newcastle Knights’ Chairman Rob Tew this afternoon. We stand by the $10 million per year commitment in Sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality guaranteed over 10 years to the club as presented last month. There have been no material variations to the offer and it is now clear that Mr Tew did not understand the original offer.
As we presented to the board, the Tinkler Sports Group were prepared to underwrite the difference between the annual sponsorship of the Club each year and the $10 million. Our offer and guarantee make no mention of membership or ticketing revenue.
It is indeed unfortunate Mr Tew has sought to misrepresent our offer again and indicates he is not interested or capable of determining the value of our proposed commitment.

More he said/she said.

slotmachine

First Grade
Also, from 1233 ABC twitter

The final count for tonight's meeting is 57 out of 100 required to demand an extraordinary meeting.

The Knights members have until Monday to gather the remaining 43 signatures. Forms have been sent out to members.

Apparently Butterfield was one of the signatories.

Karmawave

Bench
Worst ever member for the Hunter and a horrible human being to boot.

Has a personal vendetta against the club.

Why does it seem like everyone is blamed for some kind of vendetta against the Knights?

Tinkler's " mirage ", McKay has really let rip many times, NIB's Fitzgibbon, hell even big Chief puts his two bobs in amongst this lot. There's been others too on a lesser scale.

Add to that club sponsor Newcastle Herald running an anti Knights slant for the last 6 months or more ( after treating the Knights with kids gloves for over 20 years ) and it all leaves a big question mark, at least to me, as to why? Why is all of this happening?

Maybe there's a reason for it all? Why are the Knights getting put under the pump so regularly by people who some would say are pretty highly respected people?

Here's a novel thought, maybe the problem does lay with the current administration with the Newcastle Knights?

All of these people hammering into Burro et al have their knickers in a knot for some reason, and it is extremely unlikely to be the usual explanation for vendettas, that being jealousy.

So what is it? Why so many agendas and vendettas?

Big Tim

First Grade
Jodi, Jodi, Jodi. Born and bred in the Eastern suburbs of Newcastle, voted labor at every election...... except the last 2.

Take a look at your own backyard. Safest Labor seat in the country and you f**ked it up.

And the Knights board is to blame? Wow. Just wow.

Big Tim

First Grade
It has to be a Nathan thing IMO. Heavy handed aproach, does whatever he can to get the best for himself. When things arent going his way, or he's not getting the answers he wants....... Game over.

Just like my brother with the same first name.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Regardless of the Tinkler situation, I can say without any doubt in my mind that while we've won premierships under our slapdash management approach in the past - it won't happen again.

If changes aren't made to bring us into line with the rest of the competition, we'll never be able to put together a truly dominant side again. The days of just being able to rely on promising young guns to come through and stay true are long gone as other clubs ramp up their off field backing and professionalism.

Spot On

Coach
Why does it seem like everyone is blamed for some kind of vendetta against the Knights?

Tinkler's " mirage ", McKay has really let rip many times, NIB's Fitzgibbon, hell even big Chief puts his two bobs in amongst this lot. There's been others too on a lesser scale.

Add to that club sponsor Newcastle Herald running an anti Knights slant for the last 6 months or more ( after treating the Knights with kids gloves for over 20 years ) and it all leaves a big question mark, at least to me, as to why? Why is all of this happening?

Maybe there's a reason for it all? Why are the Knights getting put under the pump so regularly by people who some would say are pretty highly respected people?

Here's a novel thought, maybe the problem does lay with the current administration with the Newcastle Knights?

All of these people hammering into Burro et al have their knickers in a knot for some reason, and it is extremely unlikely to be the usual explanation for vendettas, that being jealousy.

So what is it? Why so many agendas and vendettas
?

Don't know Karma. I've just watched Tew and Tinklers press conference on the Newcastle Herald site and they have sold quite a solid story. Can't wait to see Tinkler's next move.

pk76

Juniors
Look, I have not followed the whole Tinkler saga closely but it sounds like he was extremely impatient and showed some avoidance with answering reasonable questions. If that is the case, he was not right for your proud club.

Apey

Staff member
I really hope the people who are commenting on the Knights' Facebook updates aren't actual voting members :crazy:

perverse

Referee
well... much has changed in my absence today. many things said, many things learned.

firstly, i'd like to make a comment about the supposed "coup" at The Mark Hotel in Lambton. i rocked up expecting to find a legion of rabbid members looking for blood. sadly (and i say that ironically), not the case. after purchasing a beer and sitting myself down i got talking to one of the few blokes that had rocked up at this stage - around 5:40 - and we got speaking about the current situation. i wasn't shocked to find he had some very pro-Tinkler sentiments, but ultimately i talked him around to being a bit more skeptical and craving more information to make an informed opinion on the subject. that or he just couldn't refute me, so didn't bother. the rest of the "mob" filtered in over the next 30 minutes or so while i was having said conversation, the media were on the scene in force and probably made up about 15-20% of the accumulated total of people who ended up there (which wouldn't have topped 70 or 80 i wouldn't think, maybe a little more). one bloke, who i believe was from 2NUR was sort of joining in on the conversation and was completely, 100% for my line of thinking. needless to say, i was very impressed. i basically said hi to the guy because i noticed he was listening in and i was in the process of sh*tbagging the media. he took no offence, had a bit of a laugh and continued to muse over the absurdness of the Tinkler offer with me for a little while. he got a few quotes off me later, but our interview was cut short by old matey who was running the meeting deciding what he had to say was more important, which it ended up completely not being at all - but i'll get to that.

basically the general sentiment i tried to spread around was one of caution, and to ask more questions of both sides so we can get a proper, informed opinion. i spoke to some very interesting people possessed of interesting, thought provoking, revealing and occasionally radical notions. fortunately there were some like-minds around. there were many alarmists, though.

now onto the petition. for starters - it wasn't to sack the board... or anything of the sort. it was to demand that both proposals get put before the members in an extraordinary meeting - with all parties concerned present (knights admin and tinkler) to have their say. i felt this was a completely reasonable request, and good on him for trying to get the petition done. unfortunately, in between sounding the trumpet for the meeting at the Mark Hotel and the time the meeting took place, the Knights actually announced that such a meeting will be held at EAS (minus Tinkler) next Monday, so it sort of made the whole thing redundant, really. i got to have a few brews and leave work early, so that was cool and fine by me i guess.

so, i don't know what is going to be in the Herald tomorrow, but it wasn't the start of a coup by any definition i could see. it was a request for answers, to be certain, but it was just that and nothing more at this stage.

i'd also like to address Karma regarding the agendas and vendettas. i've also maintained that it's just so convenient that there are so many external pressures on the Knights. at the end of the day, i feel the current administration has done a good job in a lot of areas, but made some fatal flaws along the way. one of them being pissing off large chunks of the entire community bit by bit. whether it could have been avoided or not, well that's cause for a whole other debate. i'd prefer to treat this buyout on its own merit. i believe Burro to be an astute businessman, but probably not a likeable person, and probably not someone that is actually pleasant to do business with. probably the Brian Smith of CEO's, really (although outside of football, Smith comes up time and time again as a top bloke from first hand accounts i've heard). technically very good, but not so great with people - or he just truly doesn't give a f**k what others think. that is normally an attribute i very much admire - but there is a time and a place for it... or more accurately it probably isn't suited to all business positions, especially where PR and other human relations with sponsors and a total reliance on virtual handouts from your immediate community are concerned. this is an opinion developed through observation of the knowledge and opinions i have access to, not first hand information.

Last edited:

pk76

Juniors
I watched that media conference on Newcastle Herald. If what they are saying is true, Tinkler was at best, opportunistic, and at worst, downright predatory.

And B-Dos, seriously you are blinded by your own ideology so badly that you can't even think independently or objectively. Have you ever considered that a businessman would act opportunistic/predatory rather than blame the board entirely? Do you think it's a "good business" sell your club for possibly $0 with little commitment to developing juniors in your local area?? Do you think it's reasonable to draw a contigency plan if things go bad eg. relocation, rebranding, repackaging club identity for a sake of a quick buck???

Please try to respond without either puerility or scapegoating the board.

pk76

Juniors
Hey perverse, good to see a passionate fan trying to be objective for the benefit of his club. Unfortunately you will encounter bigots from both sides...such is life.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Agreed, take a step back, consider the fact and make up your own mind. Hardest thing is the water have been significantly muddies by both sides, but bias aside what is best for the club.

Have penned my thoughts in the Trust Fund thread, would be happy to hear other poeples thoughts as by no means do I think I or anyone has all the info needed to make a good judgement call on this.

KempoKnight

Juniors
How do you respond to claims by Tew that your final offer to buy the club was a "pale imitation" of the $100 million bid initially proposed last month? Tew also claimed you had moved the goalposts before withdrawing the offer to buy out the club.

The Tinkler Group has responded to the claims of Newcastle Knights chairman Rob Tew. We stand by the $10 million per year commitment in sponsorship and corporate hospitality guaranteed over 10 years to the club as presented last month. There have been no material variations to the offer and it is now clear that Mr Tew did not understand the original offer. As we presented to the board, TSG was prepared to underwrite the difference between the annual sponsorship of the club each year and the $10 million each year. Our offer and guarantee make no mention of membership or ticketing revenue. It is unfortunate Mr Tew has sought to misrepresent our offer and indicates he is not interested or capable of determining the value of our proposed commitment.
Source. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-nathan-tinkler/story-e6frexnr-1226009709075

The last bolded bit has me fuming. IF this is true then tew and burro can get the hell out.

pk76

Juniors
Kempo, hopefully you guys will get a clearer picture in the days to come.

I must say though the approach taken by Crowe/Holmes during the Souths saga is shinning light compared to Tinkler. Whatever the dirty fights that occured during that saga, at least Crowe/Holmes showed patience and respect to the club.

perverse

Referee
The last bolded bit has me fuming. IF this is true then tew and burro can get the hell out.
either the TSG have completely fudged the paperwork, or i believe it to be a blatent lie.

i still do consider that the Knights may have not even had the time to correctly assess the entire proposal - i have heard it is quite extensive and large - but that just adds further doubt around the bid as Tinkler is rushing the Knights. i would also consider this the remote possiblity at this stage, very remote. i think Tew and Burro are shooting straight on this one, i see no incentive for them to do otherwise. worried about their own jobs is absolute bollocks, none of them have much to gain financially from their positions at the Knights.

something this complex obviously requires far more respect than Tinkler is treating it with. i think everyone would be interested to know exactly how long the Knights have even had the full proposal in their possession. we know when they got the letter of intent, but nothing beyond that.

the only beneficial solution, the only way forward i perceive there to be, is the extraordinary meeting of members next Monday, where the members will be informed on the black and white's of the 2 proposals. the facts as they are in documentation - which is all that actually matters here. it's the only way we can make an informed opinion. we are at a very interesting juncture in our clubs history, and we now need the facts.