What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA Season 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridders

Coach
With pre-season games going on, I thought it would be a good time to start the season discussion now.

Can't wait for the season to start tbh. Frankly the break has been too long for my liking.

Here are my predictions for the upcoming season....

Season MVP - Lebron. If Cleveland can put up something like the 66 wins they did last season, Lebron is basically a shoe-in. The only player imo that could possibly usurp him is CP3, but the Hornets would have to post a monster season.

Sleeper Team - Oklahoma City Thunder - This may be due to my man love for KD. But I like the way they have built. Their core of Durant + Westbrook + Green is always getting better, plus Harden should be a nice fit. In saying that, I'm still drooling of what they could have done if they had taken Rubio. I guess they didn't want to move Westbrook away from the point, which is perfectly understandable.

Best Record in the West - Lakers. LA is ridiculously stacked with talent, and should be able to make it back to the Finals, especially if Bynum can put together a full season. However this year they'll have to go through SA, no easy feat considering how they have built. I still can't believe they somehow got Blair in the fricken 2nd round, not to mention giving up junk for Jefferson. Should be a great match-up if these teams meet in the WCF.

Best Record in the East - Celtics. Like LA, they are absolutely stacked with talent. The key for them is if KG can put together a productive season. If he stay's healthy, this Celtic team will be sick. Main thing that detract's from them are that they are an ageing squad, with a majority of their core past their best. Plus their ownly young star in Rondo getting shopped in the off-season worries me as well, interesting to see how he reacts to it.

If KG is not near his best, Cleveland should hold the best record in the East imo.

NBA Champions - Orlando Magic. Pretty dumb considering the two teams i named above. However, I'm somewhat coming around on the VC acquisition. Plus you can't forget that before J. Nelson went down, they were the best team in basketball. If their core stays healthy, I can see them going all the way. We'll learn alot about D12 this season after the way he was exposed in this past Final's.

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I can't wait for the new season to kick off either, it looks like it might be the best season for some time with plenty of teams pulling the trigger on personnel moves trying to outdo everyone else and take home the bacon.

My predictions:

MVP: LeBron James - Best player in basketball, only reason he won't claim the award is if he mails in the first half (like he did three years ago), the Cavs falter to an average record, or Wade or Howard take big steps forward (don't discount Wade in a contract year).

Rookie: Blake Griffin - Not seen a lot of him but the general consensus was the 2009 draft was 1 player deep. As long as he's healthy, he seems like a lock before a ball has even been tipped.

Most Improved: Anthony Randolph - a lot of people's sleeper picks in fantasy drafts, it seems the starting PF spot is his (subject of course to Nellie's mood on the day). Not sure if he'll explode points wise, but if he gets 30 minutes a night he's a double-double threat with 2+ blocks thrown in. Love watching him play.

Defensive POY: Dwight Howard - He's gonna be mad, he's gonna have a point to prove, he's gonne get 4 blocks a night. Whilst that alone doesn't make him the best defender, it's gonna sway a lot of people's opinions.

Sixth Man: Leandro Barbosa - the guy lost a heap of minutes last year for some reason, but now that the Suns are going back to their run and gun ways, he's going to get his minutes back up and average in the high teens. Will again come down to him, JET & Manu.

Sleeper Team: LA Clippers - IF (and it's a big if) they stay healthy, they've seemingly got enough talent, and, more importantly, size to combat the West's elite teams. Quick mention to Golden State (no D but should be awesome to watch all those gunners) and Portland (Oden looking good in preseason, Miller added & Webster back from injury = a scary team if lacking a little experience).

Eastern Conference Champions: Cleveland Cavaliers - added some great pieces (Shaq, Moon & Parker) whilst losing nothing of value. Magic with VC will be better and if KG is healthy the Celtics will be close again. But the Cavs have the best player in the game, more help around him and a fearsome home court. Cavs 4-2 over Magic.

Western Conference Champions: San Antonio Spurs - Lakers are obviously stacked, but the Spurs were horribly derailed last year by injuries. With a healthy big three, RJ & Dice helping out, Blair (an absolute steal) and genuine depth at every position I have to go with them (my unashamed detest of the Lakers probably influences things as well). Should be an epic series, Spurs 4-3 over Lakers.

NBA Champions: Cleveland Cavaliers - if they get through the East they'll be odds on to win. It's LeBron's time. Shaq is still an elite NBA centre. King gets his first and bolts to Miami, Shaq gets his fifth and retires.

McLovin

Staff member
Season MVP - Dwight Howard...

Rookie of the year - Blake Griffin...

Most Improved - Greg Oden...

Defensive POY - Lebron James...

Sixth man - Manu Ginobili...

Sleeper team - Miami Heat...

Eastern champs - Cleveland Cavs...

Western champs - LA Lakers...

NBA champs - LA Lakers...

Season MVP - chris paul

Rookie of the year - Flynn - who else is gonna score for minnesota :p

Most Improved - Randolph

Defensive POY - Dwight Howard

Sixth man - Curry

Sleeper team - Indiana Pacers

Eastern champs - Orlando

Western champs - Lakers

NBA champs - Orlando Magic

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
MVP: Kobe Bryant - The Lakers will have another big year and it will be on the back of his leadership.

Rookie: Blake Griffin - Provided he gets the ball.

Most Improved: I like the Oden pick especially with Miller there now but I have no idea. Guys like Rondo and Mo Williams showed potential but stepped it up last year so i'll just say someone like that. Or Durant will become a legit star.

Defensive POY: Dwight Howard - He is the man. Untouchable!

Sixth Man: Lamar Oden - Seriously the most talented 6 in the league.

Sleeper Team: Wizards - If fit they should make some noise in the east. A solid C, three former all stars with guys like Miller and Foye backing them up.. Nice

Eastern Conference Champions: Magic - I think it will come down to them vs the Cavs again. Boston is on tired legs.. Magic to get up once again over the Cavs as I think they still match up well against them and it will be Lebrons last game for them :lol:

Western Conference Champions: Lakers - They will take the Spurs who are really deep in the finals. Lakers are redicilous they have a video game team which realistically we won't see as stacked again.

NBA Champions: Lakers - Still the team to beat. The west is deep again this year and could drain them after a long play off series but I can't see the Magic taking them without a solid big to help Dwight.

Ridders

Coach
Western Conference Champions: San Antonio Spurs- Lakers are obviously stacked, but the Spurs were horribly derailed last year by injuries. With a healthy big three, RJ & Dice helping out, Blair (an absolute steal) and genuine depth at every position I have to go with them (my unashamed detest of the Lakers probably influences things as well). Should be an epic series, Spurs 4-3 over Lakers.

Uggh, don't remind me. I'll never understand how such a monster rebounder like him could have fallen to the 37th pick. And of all teams he has to fall the the Spurs.

As for Defensive Player of the Year, my question is that is there any way D12 can't win it, especially given how so much emphasis is placed on stats? I mean Dwight is always going to kill it in Rebounds and Blocks so its fair to say the DPOTY will be his for a while to come. If they judge it purely on defensive statistics then D12 will win it every year.

Last edited:

ByRd

First Grade
My predictions:

MVP: Lebroom James, i want Kobe to win it again but i cant see anyone but James getting it, Paul/Wade/Howard may be worth a shot.

Rookie: Blake Griffin, dont really think anyone else will get close to him.

Most Improved: Kevin Durant, i think he will only get better and better. He has alot of talent and they have a decent squad which will improve his game.

Defensive POY: Dwight Howard, he will dominate on the boards and after making the finals last season, he will only get better.

Sixth Man: Manu Ginobli,
will hopefully be healthy throughout the year and will play big minutes off the bench.

Sleeper Team: Oklahoma City Thunder,
good young roster and with a superstar in Durant will have a solid season, i wanna say the Clippers but things never seem to work with them.

Eastern Conference Champions: Boston Celtics, if they all stay healthy they will have the best record in the East especially with Sheed coming across, also the last season that this squad may have a shot together.

Western Conference Champions: LA Lakers (come on back to back),
did not lose much in the off season and picked up a valuable player in Artest, they just need to stay healthy and hope that Bynum can stay on the court, still have the best player in the league imo and he will be gunning for another title.

NBA Champions: LA Lakers,
they have a deep squad and the only thing that can stop them is injury and there attitude, it will be interesting to see if they are satisfied with the title last year and the hunger is gone but i expect them to be at the top again.

I JUST CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO BEGIN!!!

Last edited:

Choppies

Coach
Season MVP I'm going out on a limb and saying Chris Paul

Rookie of the year Blake Griffin

Most Improved Oden.

Defensive POY Dwight Howard

Sixth man Manu Ginobili

Sleeper team Minnesota Timberwolves. Just have a feeling about them.

Eastern champs Celtics. If healthy

Western champs - LA Lakers

NBA champs - Lakers over Boston.

Cannot wait for this season to start. Especially because i'm going to the States this season.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Sleeper team Minnesota Timberwolves. Just have a feeling about them.
I like the Wolves too. Big Al is a reliable 20-10 guy, they've only got better in the off-season, but I don't think they can make the push this year, no scoring threat at either wing spot. Building well for the future though.

El Coconuto

Bench
MVP: Dwayne Wade

Rookie: Blake Griffin

Most Improved: Chris Andersen

Defensive POY: Dwight Howard

Sixth Man: Lamar Odom

Sleeper Team: Washington/Houston

Eastern Conference Champions: Orlando Magic

Western Conference Champions: Los Angelas Lakers

NBA Champions: Orlando Magic

Highlight Of The Year: LBJ tearing down the lane for a tomahawk dunk, and then getting blocked by Darko whilst everyone at Reebok laughs their asses off and offer Darko his own shoe.

Ridders

Coach
Speaking of Darko, I'm going to nominate him as a potential mini-break out player.

If Darko is ever going to become a relevant factor in the NBA, it has to be under D'Antoni. Also considering NY's lack of front court depth, he should get some decent playing time.

....And no, the fact that my fantasy team is named after Darko had nothing to do with it....

McLovin

Staff member
The Mavericks will make the Western Finals and take the Lakers to 7 games...

book it...

Ridders

Coach
What happens with the Mavs in regards to Howard and Marion? Does Howard keep his starting gig at SF and Marion play off the bench, or does Howard move to SG and allow Marion to slot in at the 3?

I like the Wolves too. Big Al is a reliable 20-10 guy, they've only got better in the off-season, but I don't think they can make the push this year, no scoring threat at either wing spot. Building well for the future though.

i dont think we have got better at all,Foye and Miller arent great but there good shooters,this teams best 3 point hope is Ellington but if he plays like a rookie he wont shoot abouve 35%

if brewer can continue hes form from 3 before he got injured he could be a legit 3 point threat

the only thing the wolves have going for them is there new coach imo

McLovin

Staff member
What happens with the Mavs in regards to Howard and Marion? Does Howard keep his starting gig at SF and Marion play off the bench, or does Howard move to SG and allow Marion to slot in at the 3?

I'd hash a guess and say Jet takes the 6th man job. He'd play alot like Bobby Jackson did for the Kings when he won the 6th man of the year award imo...

Bob Saget

Juniors
MVP - LeBron James
I don't see anyone else who could win it this season to be honest, LeBron has yet to reach his peak where Kobe has. Don't get me wrong, Kobe is a great player and is better than LeBron but LeBron is loved by a lot of people and I'm sure he is going to get the award unless Kobe is able to get crazy numbers this season, which I doubt.

Rookie Of The Year - Blake Griffin
Honestly, who else would be in the run for this award? Blake Griffin is by far the best player in the 2009 draft class, by far.

Most Improved Player - Anthony Randolph
He has already showed glimpses of great performance, I'm sure he will be able to show all the doubters wrong.

Defensive Player Of The Year - Dwight Howard

Sixth Man - Lamar Odom
Only other person who comes close to taking this award away from Odom is Manu Ginobili. But right now I'm unsure of whether Manu can have a healthy season.

Sleeper Team -

Eastern Conference - Orlando Magic

Western Conference - Los Angeles Lakers

Ridders

Coach
Imo the only way Lebron doesn't win the MVP is if the Hornets put up a 60 + win season and CP3 puts together his usual awesome numbers.

Kobe's days of seriously challenging for the MVP title are pretty much over imo as his numbers are only going to do down-hill from here-on-in.

I don't think the Heat will get enough wins for Wade to be in contention, even if he does put up crazy numbers.

I also don't think D12 will get enough MVP attention unless he becomes a force on the offensive end.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
i dont think we have got better at all,Foye and Miller arent great but there good shooters,this teams best 3 point hope is Ellington but if he plays like a rookie he wont shoot abouve 35%

if brewer can continue hes form from 3 before he got injured he could be a legit 3 point threat

the only thing the wolves have going for them is there new coach imo
Miller and Foye are losses, sure, but Sessions is a huge upgrade at the point, not to mention the drafting of Flynn. Miller hardly shot last year as well so I'm not sure his departure will be felt all that much anyway. 3 point shooting is probably a weakness, and depth at the wings, but Love will be better (and I'm expecting an improvement on his 3 point stroke), Jefferson will be back and you've got a motza of cap space. As I said, not sure this year is the year, but with another draft pick plus a free agent or two next summer and I think there's a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts