What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry crazy

Ice777

Bench
Because 7th and 9th are complete failures compared to our history?
We are talking about the Cowboys here who,up until 2004,had not ever played in a final.
He has a very close relationship to the players up there and was behind the success of our first ever grand final.

Well 9th is hardly a success given that position takes no part in the finals. You pointed out the one year in the 5 years that Henry was there as an assistant where they had a very good year and all i did was point out the others he was there and they never. You can't just pick and choose the one good year to suit your argument and totally ignore the others that shoot your argument down in flames.

Anyway, i've never said that Henry wasn't a good coach and i reckon he'll do an adequate job at the Cows and lead them to a better year than they had this year. What i did allude to was IMO he's leaving a team with more talent and a brighter future than the one he's going to. I could be right and i could be wrong but as i said this is only my opinion and how i see it right at this point in time.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think he's making a mistake IMO.

The Raiders hit a hot patch of form and went up against some average teams and absolutely decimated them. When they took on a full strength contender they just couldn't match it with them, even with the referee on their side.

To suggest the Cowboys side of 2009 is devoid of talent is a truly ignorant stand point.

Noa

First Grade
Not sure if its been mentioned but the Raiders u/20 team dont go to bad either, so theres obviously a production line in place.

As for a city Canberra >>> Townsville.

Shorty

Staff member
Well 9th is hardly a success given that position takes no part in the finals. You pointed out the one year in the 5 years that Henry was there as an assistant where they had a very good year and all i did was point out the others he was there and they never. You can't just pick and choose the one good year to suit your argument and totally ignore the others that shoot your argument down in flames.
:lol:You're not shooting my argument down in flames,love,you're not even on the same page as me.

I was merely pointing out what Henry has brought to our club in the past because apparently he's stepping down a notch.

Anyway, i've never said that Henry wasn't a good coach and i reckon he'll do an adequate job at the Cows and lead them to a better year than they had this year. What i did allude to was IMO he's leaving a team with more talent and a brighter future than the one he's going to. I could be right and i could be wrong but as i said this is only my opinion and how i see it right at this point in time.
And what do you base this on?
More talent? Canberra haven't even been able to field a full strength side for the last 3 weeks...I'm not saying they haven't got talent but Cows roster compared...hell a number of teams compared...it's partly why Raiders making the 8 has been such a big deal.

Frankly I have no idea how you came to this conclusion because that suggestion is pretty ludicrous.

Ice777

Bench
:lol:You're not shooting my argument down in flames,love,you're not even on the same page as me

I never said i was shooting your argument down in flames, i don't need to, the facts are.

I was merely pointing out what Henry has brought to our club in the past because apparently he's stepping down a notch.

What? One good year in 5? Not to mention he was only the assistant coach. The way you're going on he single handedly lifted them to the GF.

And what do you base this on?

My opinion, we all have one and if you choose to get all teary over mine then that's your problem. IMO from what i've seen of Canberra and the Cowboys this year i think Canberra has much more to work with and have a brighter future than the Cowboys. Like i said i could be wrong but that's how i see it. I'm not asking you to agree with me and i couldn't care less if you do or not.

Add to the fact that the Raiders under 20's are on top of the ladder and the Cows the bottom only strengthens my thoughts that Canberra have much more to offer than the Cowboys. That's what i base it on ;-)

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I cant understand it either
the raiders live in a better town, with nicer weather, have got more talent, a better production line for juniors, are more successful since inception. TBH the only thing that i can put my finger on is that the Cowboys management were stupid enough to given henry big dollars on a 5 year deal

henry's a superb coach and it will probably be worth it but 5 years... thats a bloody long time in coaching. And a massive pay out if they ever want to sack him.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Sorry but arn't you the same poster who had a f**k off niel henry banner in your sig for most of the year ?

Surely you don't want him to stay do you ?

Ice777

Bench
To suggest the Cowboys side of 2009 is devoid of talent is a truly ignorant stand point.

Where did anyone suggest that the Cows were devoid of talent? I may have missed it but all i said was that IMO from what i've seen this year from both teams and the under 20's that Canberra has more talent to work with than Nth Queensland.

I'm not sure why my opinion is so hard to fathom for some people. The Raiders 1st grade side finished 6th and under 20's 1st while the Cowboys finished second bottom and bottom with their respective sides. Now call me stupid but to me that looks like a very solid foundation for Canberra to work with and that's exactly what i'm basing my opinion on. I'd much rather base it on that than hope and blind faith.

That's not to say i don't think the Cowboys have any talent because that'd be just plain ridiculous to even suggest with the likes of Thurston and Bowen in the side. It's one thing to say that one team has more talent than the next, but it's a completely different thing to saying they have none at all which nobody did.

Henry's made the biggest mistake of his life walking out on us. Good on him for getting his paper, and on a 5 year deal too...but I highly doubt that team will improve much on what they produced this year. They're a bunch of quitters who fold too easily. A house of cards. They did it in 2006 as well. It also seems like they have a couple of prima donnas in the squad, who think they're the sh*t. I'm happy that my good mate Dave Faiumu is outta there.

salivor

First Grade
I think it's a risk. Looking at them from the outside the Cowboys look to be a player dominated club. He'll want to be successful from the outset as I could see the players quickly turning on him if things don't go to plan.

Big Pete

Referee
Where did anyone suggest that the Cows were devoid of talent? I may have missed it but all i said was that IMO from what i've seen this year from both teams and the under 20's that Canberra has more talent to work with than Nth Queensland.

I'm not sure why my opinion is so hard to fathom for some people. The Raiders 1st grade side finished 6th and under 20's 1st while the Cowboys finished second bottom and bottom with their respective sides. Now call me stupid but to me that looks like a very solid foundation for Canberra to work with and that's exactly what i'm basing my opinion on. I'd much rather base it on that than hope and blind faith.

That's not to say i don't think the Cowboys have any talent because that'd be just plain ridiculous to even suggest with the likes of Thurston and Bowen in the side. It's one thing to say that one team has more talent than the next, but it's a completely different thing to saying they have none at all which nobody did.

I think it's fair to say I over exagerated. I don't think you're (by that I mean most of those supporting the topic creator) giving the Cowboys enough credit.

The Cowboys in 2009 will be a whole different side because of the players and coaches they've recruited. Antonio Kafusi, Manaese Monuokafoa and Willie Tonga are great buys and will give the Cowboys some much needed depth and fire power.

The Cowboys have also recruited well in terms of juniors. Steve Rapira, Mitchell Achurch, James Tamou and Troyden Watene Edwards are promising juniors and I believe we'll see one of them make the step up into first grade at some point.

Now you have those players working under the Queensland conditioning coach in Billy Johnstone and the Cowboys of 2008/2009 should be like night and day.

So I can't blame Henry at all. The Cowboys are a mouth watering prospect and at the time of the deal the Raiders were looking in dire straights.

Big Pete

Referee
He's showed glimpses of his 2004 form in the past few seasons and I believe with a change of club and a more consistent halves pairing he could reach that pinnacle yet again.

So to rubbish him as a sh*t buy screams of ignorance. Watch him play next year and then pass judgement.

He's showed glimpses of his 2004 form in the past few seasons and I believe with a change of club and a more consistent halves pairing he could reach that pinnacle yet again.

So to rubbish him as a sh*t buy screams of ignorance. Watch him play next year and then pass judgement.

Glimpses isn't enough.

He hasn't been the same since his injury. He wont reach 2004 form again.

SaveTheChildren said:
Neil Henry leaving is the beginning of the end for Canberra! The rats are leaving the sinking ship.

That's what all you haters said in 2000 when Daley, Mullins & Furner left the Raiders. Then again in 2004 when Wiki, Davico, O'Hara & Monaghan left. Then yet again in 2006 when Elliott (lol), Woolford, Croker, Shifcofske, Mogg & Jason Smith left.

Don't you guys get it? We will never, ever roll over and die. We don't quit when the going get's tough like the Tigers!!

From here until eternity the Raiders will stand strong and prosper, and it's gonna drive each and every one of you haters crazy.

Last edited: