What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry crazy

Big Pete

Referee
For the amount of money spent sal? Correct me if I'm wrong but since the Tonga purchase the Cowboys havn't lost anyone of merit have they now? I honestly can't see how his purchase at this point in time can be anything but a positive and an improvement for the Cowboys.

Chachi, you could say that about most teams...

Canberra Campese's
1. Who cares
2. Who cares
3. Who cares
4. Joel Monaghan
5. Who Cares
6. Terry Campese
7. Who Cares
8. Who Cares
9. Who Cares
10. Who Cares
11. Who Cares
12. Who Cares
13. Alan Tongue

14. Who Cares
15. Who Cares
16. Who Cares
17. Who Cares

See what I mean?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sorry but arn't you the same poster who had a f**k off niel henry banner in your sig for most of the year ?

Surely you don't want him to stay do you ?

I really rate him as a coach and wish he was staying, however the way in which he choose to leave, and the fact he used my club to leetch off until a deal at the cowboy come up doesnt sit well with me

great coach, wish he wasnt leaving, but im very dirty at him for how he's gone about it

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah,I have nothing but empathy for Raiders fans with the way Henry left the club.
I was angry with how the management handled the whole thing but what's done is done and I am very confident that the Cows will improve significantly in 2009.

I don't think Henry is making a mistake,and the proof will show next year.
As for Tonga,it's a pretty negative attitude a lot of people have in here about him.

Coming back from injury is all in the mind and it requires confidence and I believe with the history Neil has with mentoring players and Billy J's help he'll come good.

super_coach

First Grade
It dosnt really matter who coaches the raiders,every year they are tipped for the spoon and every year they put egg on peoples faces. They just play above their weight most years

salivor

First Grade
For the amount of money spent sal? Correct me if I'm wrong but since the Tonga purchase the Cowboys havn't lost anyone of merit have they now? I honestly can't see how his purchase at this point in time can be anything but a positive and an improvement for the Cowboys.

What does not losing any players have to do with anything Pete? So it's ok to pay overs for a player as long as you don't lose anyone? If you're paying overs for someone then the affects will be seen whether it's other players that can't get contract upgrade, you lose juniors coming up the ranks as you can't pay them their worth and keep them in your cap etc. But yes they haven't lost anyone yet so it's a great buy, paying overs for a bloke with numerous injuries and 1 good season under his belt.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm talking in terms of 2009 sal.

They've got a good squad together and that would've been one of the main reasons why Henry's decision isn't crazy.

I really can't see how you can argue that point...but I'm sure you'll surprise me.

hrundi99

First Grade
It dosnt really matter who coaches the raiders,every year they are tipped for the spoon and every year they put egg on peoples faces. They just play above their weight most years

If that's the case then the "weight" has clearly been measured incorrectly.

smacky

Juniors
I dont see how raiders fans can rubbish cowboys talent.....raiders dont have any superstars, campese is on the way up, monoghan goes well but i wouldnt call him a superstar the reason they go so well is their such a close nit team, they play for each other and work as a team better than any other team in the comp

salivor

First Grade
I'm talking in terms of 2009 sal.

They've got a good squad together and that would've been one of the main reasons why Henry's decision isn't crazy.

I really can't see how you can argue that point...but I'm sure you'll surprise me.

Yes because looking at a signing really works when you single out just 1 season of that contract. He's not on a one year contract and paying overs for a bloke is going to affect that squad at some point so therefore it is a sh*t signing.

Big Pete

Referee
And we'll see how Tonga effects them when he gets to play. Until then what's there to argue?

It just seems like you're picking a fight over something so small in the context of the point I was trying to make.

So I'll ask you this...do you think Neil Henry leaving the Raiders is crazy?

salivor

First Grade
And we'll see how Tonga effects them when he gets to play. Until then what's there to argue?

It just seems like you're picking a fight over something so small in the context of the point I was trying to make.

So I'll ask you this...do you think Neil Henry leaving the Raiders is crazy?

I'm not talking about on field with Tonga, I'm talking about off-field. I'm picking a fight? You're just taking exception to being pulled up for saying paying way overs for a bloke who's suffered numerous serious injuries and has had 1 good season 4 years ago is a great buy. You're still defending that and I'm suddenly being unreasonable.

Yes Henry leaving the Raiders is crazy. They've got all the building blocks there to be a powerhouse and with the constant stream of quality juniors coming through the place it's the perfect setting for an up and coming coach like Henry to build something big and lasting.

Instead he's headed to the Cowboys who are quite obviously a player run club. Now he may have their respect right now but when things go wrong I don't see the players there standing up and taking responsibility which will put Mr Henry on very shaky ground.

Big Pete

Referee
Yes a 'great buy' as I put it was an over sight and one I apologise for but to say he's a sh*t buy altogether is another exageration on your part. Tonga is a much better centre than the likes of Harris and Farrar and will boost the Cowboys in that department.

When Henry signed with the Cowboys the best player the Raiders had was a troubled bloke by the name of Todd Carney. None of the other players were playing consistently good football and ultimately the move up north seemed like the way to go especially with all the support he had from the Cowboys and from family.

Yes there was animosity between the Cowboys players and Graham Murray but Murray's got a past of pi**ing others off and there were racial abuse allegations posted against Murray by the Cowboys players. Considering their culture that would've put Murray offside from the outset and would've led to his demise. Henry has already established a connection with a majority of these players and won't be held accountable in the same way Murray was. Do I think a 5 year deal is a stupid move? Certainly not for Henry but it certainly is for the Cowboys.

Finally who's to say the Cowboys don't have the right building blocks? They've already got a side filled with genuine superstars and they've further boosted their club with the signings of promising juniors. So to suggest Henry is crazy again is an exageration.

Ice777

Bench
Finally who's to say the Cowboys don't have the right building blocks? They've already got a side filled with genuine superstars and they've further boosted their club with the signings of promising juniors. So to suggest Henry is crazy again is an exageration.

You could also say that saying the Cowboys have got a side full of genuine superstars is also an exaggeration as well Pete. Much bigger than any one that Salivor is supposedly making.

Big Pete

Referee
You could also say that saying the Cowboys have got a side full of genuine superstars is also an exaggeration as well Pete. Much bigger than any one that Salivor is supposedly making.

A side with two of the best attacking players in the game then?

Will that make everyone happy?

Big Pete

Referee
That'd be a bit closer to the mark saying that than a side full of genuine superstars.

Thanks chief! But if you don't mind can we get back at the topic at hand?

Is Henry leaving the Raiders a stupid move?

No. Why?

1) Getting a good deal

2) Has as good as if not better side to work with.

3) Him and his family is content with the decision.

That sums up my points and honestly I can't see how anyone could argue the above.

salivor

First Grade
Yes a 'great buy' as I put it was an over sight and one I apologise for but to say he's a sh*t buy altogether is another exageration on your part. Tonga is a much better centre than the likes of Harris and Farrar and will boost the Cowboys in that department.

The Tonga of 2004 or the current Tonga is a better centre?

Big Pete said:
When Henry signed with the Cowboys the best player the Raiders had was a troubled bloke by the name of Todd Carney. None of the other players were playing consistently good football and ultimately the move up north seemed like the way to go especially with all the support he had from the Cowboys and from family.

Yes there was animosity between the Cowboys players and Graham Murray but Murray's got a past of pi**ing others off and there were racial abuse allegations posted against Murray by the Cowboys players. Considering their culture that would've put Murray offside from the outset and would've led to his demise. Henry has already established a connection with a majority of these players and won't be held accountable in the same way Murray was. Do I think a 5 year deal is a stupid move? Certainly not for Henry but it certainly is for the Cowboys.

Yet the Cowboys form didn't change one bit after Murray went. They're no different from Penrith, you're in big trouble once your players start dictating to the board who the coach is going to be. Any coach would be very wary of taking on that kind of player group. It may not be an entirely crazy move but it's definitely risky. The 5 year deal means nothing as coaches contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Assuming he can keep the egos in check then the Cowboys don't have building blocks as they've already been built by Murray. They may have finished second to last but we all know that's not where they really sit in the pecking order. I think the challenge and potential pay off's at Canberra would be far more rewarding than stepping into a built side with the best player in the game at the reigns.

Big Pete

Referee
The Tonga of 2004 or the current Tonga is a better centre?

Either.

This argument is wearing thin though. If Tonga (a pretty big if) reaches top form he'll prove to be a superb buy for the Cowboys. It's just a matter of can he?

Yet the Cowboys form didn't change one bit after Murray went. They're no different from Penrith, you're in big trouble once your players start dictating to the board who the coach is going to be. Any coach would be very wary of taking on that kind of player group. It may not be an entirely crazy move but it's definitely risky. The 5 year deal means nothing as coaches contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Form didn't change for a variety of reasons...

1. Injuries
2. Suspensions
3. Inadequate coach (who is going to the Raiders :lol:)

As for the contract even if the Cowboys release him he'll be entitled to what he's owed. Ala Chris Anderson.
Assuming he can keep the egos in check then the Cowboys don't have building blocks as they've already been built by Murray. They may have finished second to last but we all know that's not where they really sit in the pecking order. I think the challenge and potential pay off's at Canberra would be far more rewarding than stepping into a built side with the best player in the game at the reigns.

Taking a club to their first premiership would be more rewarding. Henry still has a lot of work to do and a lot of players to establish. Tonga being one of those.

Not to mention the Cowboys have signed a lot of promising juniors for next season and they could certainly be anything with the right coach.

Don't forget Henry was the assistant coach of Graham Murray during their rise to prominence. He's had plenty to do with their development and I'm sure he'll be satisfied.