What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry crazy

How old is he? he's still very young, and can never be as good as he was 4 years ago. He should be at his best NOW. He should of got better, not worse. That makes him a sh*t buy. Nuff said.

Big Pete

Referee
He suffered a season ending injury in 2008 earlier on so it's hard to pass judgement.

Besides it's certainly an improvement for the Cowboys. Thus it's not a sh*t buy.

salivor

First Grade
Spending decent coin on a bloke who has had 1 good season 4 years ago is a fantastic buy, perhaps the buy of the century even.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
What's more crazy is the Cowboys taking Henry when they could have had Bennett. I'm pretty sure Benny has at least a couple more years of good coaching in him and he'd only won a premiership a year ago. Considering his record, his standing in the game, his ability to bring the best out in guys and his mentoring abilities off the field, I'm not quite sure how you could pass on him.

salivor

First Grade
Well some would say that passing on Bennett wasn't really the Cowboys idea and more News Ltd's.

mongoose

Coach
Neil Henry leaving is the beginning of the end for Canberra! The rats are leaving the sinking ship.

thats what all the muppets said after elliot left. Gould also mentioned the raiders being a sinking ship like the titanic. Give it up, it's not going to happen.

The tigers, rabbits, panthers will get 10 wooden spoons before the raiders get 1.

Buckshot

Juniors
The best thing about Henry leaving the Raiders is that it gives the Raiders supporters something to bitch about!

It will keep the locals happy until they find something else to complain about e.g Matt Elliot,being dudded by referees every week, Channell nine coverage,injuries to key players etc etc I hope Furner is prepared to cover his ass!

Bitch and whinge is a local past time in Canberra.

Big Pete

Referee
Hodges was a risk for which we have the benefit of hindsight and I did label him as a sh*t buy back then too.

Point is you were proven wrong.

Tonga can do the exact same thing, he's certainly got the potential to do so and honestly you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt before you can begin to label him as a sh*t buy.

I believe he'll be a good buy for the Cowboys. He may prove to be incapable of recapturing his 2004 form but at the very worst he'll be an improvement in that centre position.

Patorick

Staff member
Cowboys offered him a lucrative five year deal.

No way was he going to turn it down.

Certainly isn't a sh*t buy.

Was Hodges a sh*t buy for us back in the day?

Hodges is one of the most talented centres of the past 20 years. Tonga made his name by outplaying Hodges in one game in 2004, and replacing him in the QLD team. Plus didn't you pick him up at a bargain basement price, with intentions of playing him on the wing in 2005? I'd like to know what he got paid that first season. I can't quite remember how I felt about the buy at the time, but I do remember him coming cheap due to his desperation to get back up to QLD. So all things considered I probably thought it was a good buy at the time. He just needed to sort his head out after breaking up with that lil miss indy vixen he was tappin. Hot chicks can really f*ck with your head.

Kudos to Bennett for making Hodges start at the bottom again by playing him on the wing, and making him cut the crap out of his game in 2005. Since then it's slowly crept back into his game more and more, but he's not half as bad as he was at the Roosters.

I just don't see Willie Tonga recapturing his old form. The injury in 2005 really f**ked him up. Now with another season ending injury...I just don't see it. His one good trick was his lil skip to the outside of his man to get around him. I can't remember the last time I saw him successfully do that. I think he'll be ESL bound within 2 years. Time will reveal all though...

salivor

First Grade
Point is you were proven wrong.

Tonga can do the exact same thing, he's certainly got the potential to do so and honestly you'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt before you can begin to label him as a sh*t buy.

I believe he'll be a good buy for the Cowboys. He may prove to be incapable of recapturing his 2004 form but at the very worst he'll be an improvement in that centre position.

I was proven wrong with hindsight. We don't have that in this case. He's far too risky and has proven far less than Hodges had at the point we brought him. They're also paying more for Tonga than we paid for Hodges so overall the comparison doesn't work, I could name you a dozen similar gambles by other clubs that didn't work out, we see at least one every season. For the amount of money they're spending he is a sh*t buy as so far his career is nothing but a flash in the pan.

Chachi

Bench
Henry will go well in Townsville, as long as the team looks like this:

1. Bowen
2. Who cares
3. Who cares
4. Who cares
5. Who cares
6. Who cares
7. Thurston
13. O'Donnell
12. Who cares
11. Who cares
10. Who cares
9. Who cares
8. Who cares

14. Who cares
15. Who cares
16. Who cares
17. Who cares

Champion team that. Up there with the Gold Coast Princes.

Last edited:

dubby

Bench
Neil Henry did not take this decision lightly.

Neil has a history in Townsville and his family (wife in particular, daughter grew up there) really enjoyed living up there. I can tell you his decision to leave wasnt based on playing personnel/Furner getting the job in the future/anything to do with innuendo.... he did what his family wanted to do: return to T'Ville.

He is grateful to the Raiders for giving him a go. Thanks to us, he has won Dally M coach of the year, is the QLD SOO asst coach, has a new prestigous profile due to his ability to get the most out of our boys.

GO with my blessing Neil, I know you will miss this team and club but a mans priorities should always be with his family first and looking after their best interests

As for the poor results in the NYC for the Cows, dont forget they have a very successful feeder club in the Northern Pride

Last edited: