What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry - New coach - Canberra Times

jed

First Grade
Boing Boing said:
So am I.

My post count is going up though.
Boing Boing is a dot-com, Boing Boing is a dot-com, na-na-na-na HEY, na-na-na-na HEY

jed

First Grade
I'll be more than happy with Henry if he's announced. Would have preferred Anderson (D), and would even have settled for Anderson (C), but the state he's left clubs in leaves a bit to be desired. I was also intrigued with the thought of Taylor after Friday's "scoop" in the Tele, but I think management have done good here, hope Henry pays off for us.

Assuming, that is, that Henry is indeed signed. I've lost count of the number of times we've celebrated pending announcements that didn't eventuate.

thickos

First Grade
SMH:

Henry takes over as Raiders' coach

The Canberra Raiders today announced that North Queensland's Neil Henry will take over from Matthew Elliott as head coach at the NRL club from next season.

Henry, currently working as assistant to head coach Graham Murray with the ladder-leading Cowboys, has agreed to a three-year term, which will commence on November 1.

Henry began his coaching career in the nation's capital and was the Raiders' Premier League coach before joining the Cowboys in 2003.

Earlier this year Elliott revealed he would be heading to Penrith to replace John Lang as head coach at the Panthers next season.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Boing Boing said:
I don't remember aplogising mate! After Big Si, you're the person I love pissing off most.

egerly await a boing lead off "Ohh can-ber-ra" at the next game :lol:

Panjabi

Juniors
I'll reserve judgment on Neil Henry until next year, but I would be interested in clarifying the following.

Raider_69 said:
He has a strong backround of getting good PL players and mould them into First graders, which is EXACTLY what we need....

and from what i here Henry has bigger raps on him then Bellamy did.

What source did you base that on?

Bellamy was a Wayne Bennet understudy for years, everyone knew who he was, prior to Neil Henry's name being mentioned in the media over the last few months, I had no idea who he was.

Timbo

Staff member
What an attrocius decision.

I'll reserve judgement for now, but I think this is a braindead decision by management. We needed a solid RECOGNISED coach. For example, Anderson or Lang.

I hate our management so much right now. Not helping that I only just saw the replay of the game.

Timbo said:
What an attrocius decision.

I'll reserve judgement for now, but I think this is a braindead decision by management. We needed a solid RECOGNISED coach. For example, Anderson or Lang.

I hate our management so much right now. Not helping that I only just saw the replay of the game.

At least give him a chance. I would have preffered Jonny Lang, but Neil Henry will be good for us IMO. We dont need a big name coach, we need someone who can get the best out of the large amount of talent we have sitting in the lower grades. That is how we have been successfull in the past

Boing Boing

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
At least give him a chance. I would have preffered Jonny Lang, but Neil Henry will be good for us IMO. We dont need a big name coach, we need someone who can get the best out of the large amount of talent we have sitting in the lower grades. That is how we have been successfull in the past

Precisely.

Timbo

Staff member
What do you mean that's how we've been successful in the past? Have you forgotten the nucleus of our great side was poached from the QLD cup when it was still a premier comp?

edabomb

First Grade
Panjabi said:
I'll reserve judgment on Neil Henry until next year, but I would be interested in clarifying the following.

Bellamy was a Wayne Bennet understudy for years, everyone knew who he was, prior to Neil Henry's name being mentioned in the media over the last few months, I had no idea who he was.

Don't question 69's broad sweeping statements :lol::lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Don't question 69's broad sweeping statements :lol::lol:

yes well at least i dont comment on things i know f**k all about, re: you and junior grade players... my opinions are based on things ive seen, know and hear, your are often based on well... nothing really. So ill take your comments with a grain of salt mate :)

Talk to any Cowboys fan, they talk up his influcence all the time, he has been attributed a large portion of their success in recent years, also blokes like Matty Bowen have been quoted as saying he is a intergrel part of the team.

And ive know full well about Neil Henry, for about a year now, on the back of the Cowboys success last year. He has served a great coaching apprenticeship under Murray, and has had plenty of years experience and success in those years in the lower grades. He is well respected up and commer in the league community. He will do a fantastic job for us. But patience will be required, it will take at least a year to mop up the sh*te Elliott leaves us with. Bellamy was talked up as Bennetts replacement for years by respect leagies, as Neil Henry has been bandied about as the next big thing for coaching by alot of respected league jurnos and personalities.

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
yes well at least i dont comment on things i know f**k all about, re: you and junior grade players... my opinions are based on things ive seen, know and hear, your are often based on well... nothing really. So ill take your comments with a grain of salt mate :)

Only problem with you analysis is you never realise the step up between reggies, juniors and firsts. Just because someones a gun junior does not mean they're ready for firsts. Like Phil Gould said on the footy show last night, out of every year of jersey flegg there are maybe 2 or 3 players that will go on to have longterm first grade careers. Surely how you predicted Carney to dominate firsts by 2007 shows you have misjudged the step up.

Panjabi

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Talk to any Cowboys fan, they talk up his influcence all the time, he has been attributed a large portion of their success in recent years, also blokes like Matty Bowen have been quoted as saying he is a intergrel part of the team.

And ive know full well about Neil Henry, for about a year now, on the back of the Cowboys success last year. He has served a great coaching apprenticeship under Murray, and has had plenty of years experience and success in those years in the lower grades. He is well respected up and commer in the league community. He will do a fantastic job for us. But patience will be required, it will take at least a year to mop up the sh*te Elliott leaves us with. Bellamy was talked up as Bennetts replacement for years by respect leagies, as Neil Henry has been bandied about as the next big thing for coaching by alot of respected league jurnos and personalities.

I suppose you have known about Michael Maguire to?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Only problem with you analysis is you never realise the step up between reggies, juniors and firsts. Just because someones a gun junior does not mean they're ready for firsts. Like Phil Gould said on the footy show last night, out of every year of jersey flegg there are maybe 2 or 3 players that will go on to have longterm first grade careers. Surely how you predicted Carney to dominate firsts by 2007 shows you have misjudged the step up.

No it shows i initally over estimated or misjudged our coaching teams ability to get players to make that step up. Im extremely confident under Neil Henry, Todd Carneys potential will be realised. Whilst in a coin flip, promising young Penrith half, Peter Wallace will flounder in a much more noticiable way then Carney has (as IMO he isnt nearly as talented)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Panjabi said:
I suppose you have known about Michael Maguire to?

Nope, i know absolutely nothing about him. But unlike some here, because i dont know him, i dont think to assume he must be a neville. :)