What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepotism Thread: Players who only got a go because of their father

axl rose

Bench
There’s an idea if the NRL wants to crack the US market, offer Barry a commentating gig. Bet he’d at least bother to get the islanders names right, being from Hawaii and all
A Kenyan citizen of Muslim faith would add some nice diversity to the commentary box.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
There are also successful ones, Matt Rogers was good, not as good as dad but good. Plenty of others.

Luke Ricketson (2000s) because of his dad Doug Ricketson (1960s).

But we must also note that Luke was not bad looking (even though not as good looking as Tim Lafai), so that factor helped to attract girls and women fans to the Roosters, and made him a fan favourite.

Wild Wilbur

Juniors

But we must also note that Luke was not bad looking (even though not as good looking as Tim Lafai), so that factor helped to attract girls and women fans to the Roosters, and made him a fan favourite.
Wtf is this rubbish comment?

myrrh ken

First Grade

Tim Lafai is a poor man's Sosaia Feki in the looks department.
Equally, Luke Ricketson is a poor man's Russell Richardson

The Rosco

Bench
John Ribot-de-Bresac.
Pfft.
As if he would have got a start anywhere if it wasn't for the gallant heroics of his dad, Jean-Paul-Henry-Claude Ribot-de-Bresac when he played for the mighty Peugot-Renaults in the strong Lyon inter comp in the late 60s.
He did like a hyphen.
Their team song was a joy to observe. Sung with the gusto that only a Frenchman can muster.
The words are distant, and washed away with the years . . . but I remember the chorus " Vroom Vroom, break down, francs francs, Vroom Vroom.
I'm pretty sure that the great Remi Casty's 2/3 great uncle, Attache le lure and Casty, also played in that team as well.
Of course his name lure is pronounced lee-yerr, from the French, meaning artificial bait.
I vividly recall the hijinx and towel snaps in the shower room afterwards, 15 hairy Frenchmen nude and wet. though the counsellor is working her way through those with me.
She has me on a course of a new Ritalin-esque drug to reduce the vividity of my recollections.

Ricketson Snr was a foundation Panther.

I never heard that. But anyways it does not refute the fact that Doug Ricketson was centre for Eastern Suburbs in the early 1960s, and played alongside Bill Roney. He was a fixture in the team during those years..

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Given Penrith's poor start to the season, and especially Nathan Cleary's poor form, questions about conflict of interest would have to be asked surely? What would the rest of the squad be thinking watching little Mr. Perfect running around in the halves plodding it up and not even a hint of a hook coming from Coach Dad?

TheFrog

Coach
I never heard that. But anyways it does not refute the fact that Doug Ricketson was centre for Eastern Suburbs in the early 1960s, and played alongside Bill Roney. He was a fixture in the team during those years..
Never suggested he wasn't a Rooster. Played 60 first grade games for the Roosters, and came to Penrith in 1966, playing in the second division side that won the premiership. Played only 3 games in first grade with the club after promotion to first division before a knee injury saw him hang up the boots.

The Panthers foundation team was almost exclusively made up of players who'd played for other clubs, as is the case with most expansion teams.

Last edited:

Latest posts