What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neutral refereeing

Nothern

Juniors
I was going to start this post at half-time but thought better of it, However, that first aussie try of second half: a mile forward! I would question a few decisions in first half.

The thing is, it just leaves the game open to questions about integrity and that can't be good for the game.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I agree. If I were England I would refuse to play without a neutral ref. The IRLF need to get some international refs up to standard pronto.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Didn't England ok Tony Archer's appointment? I might be wrong.

Either way, a neutral referree is a must. An absolute must. It takes out any of this "he sided with his side" BS that has flared up in the match thread. Make this mandatory for all fixtures ASAP.

league13

Juniors
I agree. If I were England I would refuse to play without a neutral ref. The IRLF need to get some international refs up to standard pronto.

A New Zealand ref should be officiating in the NRL,This would do away with the problem of neutral refs, the Aussies have been against this for years.I didn't see the game so cannot comment on the ref.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I'd much rather a neutral ref give dogey decisions than a biased ref give dogey decisions, it goes without saying.

We can add this to the ever lengthening list of things the ARL does to hold back international league.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I'd much rather a neutral ref give dogey decisions than a biased ref give dogey decisions, it goes without saying.

We can add this to the ever lengthening list of things the ARL does to hold back international league.

I won't label the officials biased tonight, they were bad, though to call them biased is to question their integrity which I am not about to do. I just think they had a very ordinary night.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment "I'd much rather a neutral ref give dogey decisions".

IanG

Coach
Yeah well IRLF and the ARL. It's the same wood ducks in charge just a different name.

mrpwnd

Bench
I won't label the officials biased tonight, they were bad, though to call them biased is to question their integrity which I am not about to do. I just think they had a very ordinary night.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment "I'd much rather a neutral ref give dogey decisions".
Oh I wouldn't necessarily call Archer biased, it's just a bit of a coincidence that so many poor quality and momentum shifting calls went one-sided Australias way.
England were bad it's true, but Australia imo were almost just as bad with some of the most softest goal line defense you'll ever see in rep footy, very very lucky to get away with the score line that they got tonight.

RedVee

First Grade
They called Steve Clark as the Video Ref as well. I thought there was supposed to be 2 Vid refs? Did 9 only think we'd be interested in the NRL appointment?

mattystans000

Juniors
Agree with the neutral refereeing sentiment. Not saying Archer was biased tonight, just did a really poor job that leaves him open to calls of bias.

*And please, everyone, before you tell them how to run thier organisation, refer to it by its actual name!

It's the RLIF, not the I Really Like Food (IRLF) club, not Ranga's I'd Like to beFriend (RILF), but the Rugby League International Federation (R-L-I-F).

Thank you. :)

The 18th Man

Juniors
Oh I wouldn't necessarily call Archer biased, it's just a bit of a coincidence that so many poor quality and momentum shifting calls went one-sided Australias way.
England were bad it's true, but Australia imo were almost just as bad with some of the most softest goal line defense you'll ever see in rep footy, very very lucky to get away with the score line that they got tonight.

This statement is all the RLIF need to read to ensure that a neutral ref is adopted in ANY future rugby league test match.

Nothern

Juniors
Surely, someone would have thought that if we had to have an Australian ref on the field that there may be some balance in the video refereeing. It gets worse. Some of his decisions were just as questionable as Archer's.

Springs

First Grade
The Australian were demanding Shayne Hayne for last year's final after they claimed that Ganson was biased in the Wigan game, and Australia won the Wigan game.
I wonder what the ARL will think of Archer's performance.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Agree with the neutral refereeing sentiment. Not saying Archer was biased tonight, just did a really poor job that leaves him open to calls of bias.

*And please, everyone, before you tell them how to run thier organisation, refer to it by its actual name!

It's the RLIF, not the I Really Like Food (IRLF) club, not Ranga's I'd Like to beFriend (RILF), but the Rugby League International Federation (R-L-I-F).

Thank you. :)
The RLIF is nothing, it might as well be referred to by those names because is is a none-entity.

I didn't watch the game, but the comments are no surprise at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL should be made to bring through 2 NZ refs and the ESL 2 French refs into top grade.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
With the base for referees training in Sydney, it isn't financially viable to go scouting over seas for referees. (So iv been told)

If a Kiwi wants to be an NRL ref, he would have to move to Sydney and become good enough to get a decent wage. It takes a lot of time and its a massive commitment.

I think the best thing is for the NZRL to pay for scholarships for some of their refs to come to Australia for a few years and hope they can get into the NRL where they can be considered "NRL standard"

Geordie

Juniors
The Australian were demanding Shayne Hayne for last year's final after they claimed that Ganson was biased in the Wigan game, and Australia won the Wigan game.
I wonder what the ARL will think of Archer's performance.

The reason that Ganson reffed the group game last year was because the Aussies wouldn't accept either Alibert of France or Williamson of NZ to ref the game. They didn't want Ganson for the Final and wanted Hayne but in the end they got Williamson from NZ.

To be honest this is not a new thing all this furore about Archer as it has happened before but not as bad as yesterday. People were saying for days before the game that he would do his usual thing and that England would not get the benefit of any 50 - 50 calls, which turned out to be the case.

The Coach and Officials of the Australian team also have some responsibility going back to Bobby Fulton's day as, for days leading up to a match, always tell the referees what they should be looking out for in the opposition play and more or less how to do his job.

The other main point that needs sorting is that every country has the same rules for their domestic competitions as they have in international games and then there can be no misunderstanding of interpretations of rules, etc.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Who cares what the Aussies want, it's an international game and they are not the be-all and end-all. At the moment we have one nation picking the squad of their opposition and the referee, it's a disgrace.

Latest posts