What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

Mr Saab

Referee
Good. He would have been a pain in the arse to listen to and completely fake. He is an AFL toy boy and thats where he belongs.
I just hope the IC have not screwed up any potential candidates by chasing this lollypop

Thank God for that!

I did not anyone to get our top job who was involved in the two worst sporting decisions in our countries history.

*the disastrous expansion to Gold Coast/western Sydney AND
paying two NRL stars approx $8m to play AFL as marketing gimmicks in hope it would boost crowds and publicity when in reality it has lead to atrocious crowds and greater positive publicity for the NRL than AFL*

reanimate

Bench
I joined up just to say that V'landys is one guy you don't want anywhere near rugby league. I can't believe he's being considered for the job, it's a scary proposition for anyone who wants rugby league to thrive. I've worked at the races in NSW for a while and he has been terrible for racing. The only thing he has done of note is the change implemented not long ago, which saw racing change from getting a percentage of corporate bookmaker profit, to getting a percentage of corporate bookmaker turnover. Other than that, crowds are down and continue to keep falling, the tracks are becoming decrepit and are falling into disrepair (anyone who has been to Warwick Farm can tell you how much of a joke that place is)- the work that is being done on Randwick also needs to be done at Rosehill, Warwick Farm and all the main Sydney tracks. The corporate bookmakers have also been allowed to run riot- they aren't governed by the same rules as on-track bookies, so they're allowed to ban punters, stop punters from getting on and basically change the rules at their whim, which isn't the case on track (thanks to rules implemented long before V'landys was around). And thanks to the continually falling crowd numbers, on-track bookies are becoming fewer and fewer in number. And in addition, the worse it gets, the more Racing NSW is seen as the poor cousin of Racing Victoria, which sees bigger crowds, better tracks etc.

To give you an example of how he can ruin a business, he used to be in charge of the trots. What used to be a thriving division of racing was eventually turned into a ghost town. I went a few times before Harold Park got shut down and sold off and there were about 30 people on the entire track, including the workers and the two bookies that were there.

I'd honestly support anyone other than V'landys getting the job.

juro

Bench
How would other candidates feel now, knowing how much was offered to this guy, and then seeing how much they are offered?

eelandia

Juniors
How would other candidates feel now, knowing how much was offered to this guy, and then seeing how much they are offered?
Was he actually offered anything or merely just in the running? The statement on the AFL site is vague and with News Ltd stirring the pot and continuously trying to undermine John Grant, I'm not assuming anything.

Nerd

Bench
Thank God for that!

I did not anyone to get our top job who was involved in the two worst sporting decisions in our countries history.

*the disastrous expansion to Gold Coast/western Sydney AND
paying two NRL stars approx $8m to play AFL as marketing gimmicks in hope it would boost crowds and publicity when in reality it has lead to atrocious crowds and greater positive publicity for the NRL than AFL*

:thumb

ironhorse

Juniors
No AFL crap !! christ they are just stroking the already inflated egos of the henchmen down there ...I never trusted the whole thing all it was was an advert for the AFL brass ..he was never coming to the NRL .Surely anyone could see that ? Im getting concerned at John Grant now .

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Are we really this short of people capable of taking our game foreword?

Highly successful business person with a background in Rugby League.

I don't there are too many going around but I don't think us on here really know what kind of CEO the ARLC wants and what kind of market there is for the CEO. I have faith in the Commission.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Some people....

If Mattiske had been openly courted for the AFL gig and said things like AFL is a great product and Melbourne is a great city the headlines would be saying 'league in crisis'

Instead now we have the opposite situation but somehow the AFL is coming out on top and it's the ARL which is weaker, when clearly Demetriou had to lean on Mclachlan to stay.

I understand this coming from Southerners because they are genuinely geniused people but I'm surprised by how many RL folk buy into the same outlook...