What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

The Gambler

Juniors
From banking to sports administration. Sounds like the kind of move someone with no where else to go would make.

Regardless, this indicates that the CEO is probably going to focus solely on improving the NRL as a business financially.

Lloyds Banking Group LLOY.LN +0.46%, one of the U.K.’s biggest lenders, has appointed insider Paul Gordon as the new head of its loss-making Australian operations.
Lloyds’s unit in Australia posted a net loss of over 1 billion Australian dollars (US$1.04 billion) in 2011 after it wrote off a portfolio of soured commercial property loans.
Mr. Gordon replaces Dave Smith, who Lloyds said will stay at the company for another few months to help with the leadership transition. A spokeswoman for the bank said that Mr. Smith had resigned from its position and hasn’t identified where he will be going after the transition period ends.
Mr. Smith said in a statement that the Australian business “is on a very strong footing” and that he felt it was “the right time to seek new opportunities”.
A 27-year veteran of Lloyds, Mr. Gordon was most recently the Australian unit’s chief operating officer. His official title is chief executive of Lloyds International, and he will also take responsibility for managing the bank’s Hong Kong operation.
Earlier this month, Lloyds sold a portfolio of distressed corporate loans with a face value of A$350 million to a consortium comprising KKR KKR 0.00% & Co.’s Special Situations Group and Sydney-based Allegro Funds.
http://blogs.wsj.com/dealjournalaus...points-paul-gordon-as-ceo-of-australian-unit/

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Not quite, from a muppet News lawyer to a banker that lost $1.2 billion for the branch he was running last financial year.

:crazy:

after some googling it looks like lloyd's banking group was financially destroyed during the GFC.

so it isn't all on him but it still isn't a good look for the NRL to appoint him after such a big loss.

betcats

Referee
No idea who Dave Smith is,

Except he would have to be an absolute dud not to be better than Gallop.

Lloyds have been a baskecase since 2008. I don't know much about Smith, but don't rule anything out.

Working in finance I can tell you this, some absolute useless muppets still make it to the top of this industry.

juro

Bench
$1 billion loss, huh? Well it's a good thing the tv deal is spread over 5 years then! ;)

juro

Bench
They should have had these announcements at 10, so they are over in time for the cricket!

Saint Doc

Coach
48B6E045-8522-4B88-ABB0-0276F0982829-5035-000005B5D2B4853D.jpg

Big Poppa Pump

Juniors
I work for Lloyds International.

Dave Smith is extremely switched on and down to earth. He will bring in a wealth of business acumen & the level of professionalism will go through the roof.

The loss on our property portfolio was due to the GFC - if anything he did a remarkable job in limiting the damage.

He is a very, very smart choice.

Delboy

First Grade
I am the same as BPB, he is smart and a very astute operator.

He can talk and walk at the same time, so will be much better presented than the previous CEO. He has made some big moves to turn the place around and was being groomed for much higher things

Working for Llotds Intl , I can tell you he will make the hard decisions, he is a very savvy negiator and despite his looks, will follow through.

Latest posts