What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New dragons related post on the big boy (sharks) blog.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This week has convinced me that the Sharks have no future in the Shire. There are more Dragons fans here than Sharks fans; the place has been a sea of red and white all throughout the finals series. Even when we were showing some signs of success back in the Johnny Lang days I don't remember ever seeing so much black, white and blue in the area.

Worth an extra click Newman. :thumn

Glad to see the success of the mighty Saints can push a little extra traffic to your website. FTR, it craps all over the official sharks website.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Not too harsh, to be honest ... apart from his lack of understanding about where people live.

He rightly recognises the generational support the Dragons have - I would assume we have by far the proportionately highest generational support of any club (and probably in absolute terms as well). As such, there are generations of Dragons fans who live in the Shire, who supported the Dragons a long time before Cronulla came around ... and their kids now support the Dragons etc etc .. why should they be 'forced' to either support Cronulla or move because there is now a 'new' team there??

He is also a little delusional if he believes that some success would see the Sharks gain comparable supporter numbers to the Dragons .. it will never happen, unless they were to relocate to Perth and the whole of WA suddenly got behind them .. even then it probably wouldn't stack up to the support our club gets nationwide (and worldwide for that matter).

A large reason for this goes back to the issue about generational support -- when support for a club runs down through a family, it is one that runs deep in the veins and through the blood .. it never dies, no matter how poorly the club is travelling. Generational fans will never be fickle enough to swap to another team. The only hope for Cronulla is picking up September fans during sustained periods of success, and converting them into March, April, May, June, July and August fans.

It is not the fault of their supporters that their club is wedged right in the middle of our heartland, and that our club is far bigger than theirs.

Being little brother is never easy.

Last edited:

Deacon

First Grade
As a Dragons supporter from the Shire, for the growth of the game nationally and geographically it making sense for the Sharks to make way, surely soon enough the existance of the Sharks in the Sutherland Shire will become memory, unfortunate but true itll happen just a matter of when

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
Glad to see the success of the mighty Saints can push a little extra traffic to your website. FTR, it craps all over the official sharks website.

Clever boy.

big pat

Coach
didn't think the week could get any better, reading about disgruntled sharks fans, tops it off nicely, i;m actually a bit surprised no suicides were reported in the shire.

Godz Illa

Coach
I always thought Paul's Hamburgers were overrated and overpriced, especially compared to Banksia Takeaway on Railway St. But I might have to give it another try...

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Cronulla fans are f**king numbnuts. Honestly.

- The dragons have one of the biggest fan bases in the NRL. This comes mainly from a few factors : 1)They are essentially 2 teams and cover a huge geographic area.

Explain the 50's and 60's where we were ONE region, and had the entire support from Brighton to Kiama. It's also why there's so many Saints supporters in the Shire - It's our territory, the NSWRL carved out a section of it to give to you. Instead of moving, traditional Saints fans simply stayed there and do what I do - Irritate Scumnulla fans by wearing the Red V everywhere we go. I get no end of amusement when I recieve a 'Carn Saints' from supporters in Sutherland or Cronulla and I'm never more satisfied than to see the toothless scowls from idiot supporters of the BWnB who realise they're the Danny DeVito from Twins of Rugby League.

2) Theyre ongoing success in the 60s and 70s engendered an entire generation of support and this was passed on to succeeding generations.

Success breeds support, something your club has never had. Even during the horrible losses of 90's we had more success than your club.

- The dragons have many fair-weather fans who loudly and proudly come out of their holes when times are good. This is the same for any NRL team, but strangely, even more for these guys.

No, we just have more fans in general.

- The shire is essentially a utopian island within festering dragons territory. Some seepage has to be expected.

As stated before, you were carved out of our territory and continue to exist like an unwanted wart despite attempts to have you burned out of the competition.

- The soccer world cup seemed to be the beginning of the car-flag craze. I reckon from now on, whenever there is a big sporting event, we will see much more car decoration than there has been in the past.

?! Were you alive during 92? 93? 96? 99? 05 even? It was like a fleet of red and white cars.

Moron needs his head checked. They need to dissolve the club and let it rightfully fall back into our territory. Nobody will notice they're gone, the 8000 fans who miss them will hopefully move to WA and the world of Rugby League will be better off.

big pat

Coach
Cronulla fans are f**king numbnuts. Honestly.

Explain the 50's and 60's where we were ONE region, and had the entire support from Brighton to Kiama. It's also why there's so many Saints supporters in the Shire - It's our territory, the NSWRL carved out a section of it to give to you. Instead of moving, traditional Saints fans simply stayed there and do what I do - Irritate Scumnulla fans by wearing the Red V everywhere we go. I get no end of amusement when I recieve a 'Carn Saints' from supporters in Sutherland or Cronulla and I'm never more satisfied than to see the toothless scowls from idiot supporters of the BWnB who realise they're the Danny DeVito from Twins of Rugby League.

Success breeds support, something your club has never had. Even during the horrible losses of 90's we had more success than your club.

No, we just have more fans in general.

As stated before, you were carved out of our territory and continue to exist like an unwanted wart despite attempts to have you burned out of the competition.

?! Were you alive during 92? 93? 96? 99? 05 even? It was like a fleet of red and white cars.

Moron needs his head checked. They need to dissolve the club and let it rightfully fall back into our territory. Nobody will notice they're gone, the 8000 fans who miss them will hopefully move to WA and the world of Rugby League will be better off.

a sad fact for sharks fans, they all share one brain.