What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Knights Website

perverse

Referee
Runs horribly (just like the NRL website - freezes the window) for the first 20-30 secs after I click the url then its fine...I'm guessing thats the lovely java in action. And yes I use IE too :p which is not such a good thing given how many not so computer literate people use it!
use firefox 3 to solve that issue dude. the javascript engine is lightyears ahead of anything microsoft have.

Serc

First Grade
Yeah I probably should...but too lazy really!

You seem to know more about this than I - is it:
a) a Micro$oft problem or
b) a poorly built website or
c) that java is resource hungry or even just a poor scripting language

That makes sites (note this is not the only one) like NRL.com run like a dog for all these years (this is going back to 2001/2002) whereas other sites which seem to have just as much content flying around load just fine?

MC DUI

Juniors
What's so great about KnightsTV? I click on the link and get taken to a form to fill out...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
What's so great about KnightsTV? I click on the link and get taken to a form to fill out...
Yeah, it says starting in 2009 mate. I assume they're getting ppl to subscribe to it now, before the start of the 09 season.

perverse

Referee
Yeah I probably should...but too lazy really!

You seem to know more about this than I - is it:
a) a Micro$oft problem or
b) a poorly built website or
c) that java is resource hungry or even just a poor scripting language

That makes sites (note this is not the only one) like NRL.com run like a dog for all these years (this is going back to 2001/2002) whereas other sites which seem to have just as much content flying around load just fine?
primarily a) and c) mate... although it can be b) depending on which way you look at it. in recent times javascript has come a long way and people are becoming more and more reliant on it as "web 2.0" becomes the norm. browsers such as firefox 2 and - more importantly, firefox 3 have helped this along due to how immensely fast they process javascript code. over the past probably.. 4 or 5 years javascript has gone from a very clunky, quite unrealistic way to animate a website into a pretty viable way to do all sorts of interactive wizardry on the client side (in the browser). the other factor that is helping javascript run faster is, of course, we have much faster computers now that can handle it.

as a web developer it's a pretty exciting thing to be able to use all these innovations in javascript, the only problem is that if you get carried away with it you alienate a lot of potential users of your website as they may have a slow computer or are running a crap browser (such as internet explorer) and the website will be near useless to them.

so yeah, its really a sort of weird combination of all 3 of the options that you gave. i thought they went waaaay overboard with the javascript on the nrl website (it is used for pretty much EVERYTHING).. but now that firefox 3 has been released in full, and i have a nice speedy computer.. it's almost bareable. i still think they probably went overboard with it, but i think you'll find in the not-too-distant that most new computers with a good internet browser will be able to view the site the way it was intended.

just another small note - there are many reasons why web developers hate flash.
- it ruins SEO (search engine optimisation)
- people use it for huge wankfest intros to their websites that are totally unnecessary.
- sites use it where it doesn't need to be used - i.e to display basic text... and as such the website takes logner to load than it could and should.
- it often adds bugger all to the website
- a lot of what it is used for can now be done with javascript
- it's not good for people with disabilities browsing your website

some websites are even 100% totally done in flash and include problems such as:

- making the forward and back buttons in the browsers obsolete
- the same disability problems
- you can't bookmark anything :/
- people without flash installed can't view the site at all

here are also other issues with it such as a buggy SDK (software development kit) and the SDK's interface is fairly sh*tty.

there are plenty of other reasons why developers hate flash... and i've kinda got a bit carried away with this post so i'll end it here. but there's a bit of education i guess. hope i answered your question in there somewhere serc.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
primarily a) and c) mate... although it can be b) depending on which way you look at it. in recent times javascript has come a long way and people are becoming more and more reliant on it as "web 2.0" becomes the norm. browsers such as firefox 2 and - more importantly, firefox 3 have helped this along due to how immensely fast they process javascript code. over the past probably.. 4 or 5 years javascript has gone from a very clunky, quite unrealistic way to animate a website into a pretty viable way to do all sorts of interactive wizardry on the client side (in the browser). the other factor that is helping javascript run faster is, of course, we have much faster computers now that can handle it.

as a web developer it's a pretty exciting thing to be able to use all these innovations in javascript, the only problem is that if you get carried away with it you alienate a lot of potential users of your website as they may have a slow computer or are running a crap browser (such as internet explorer) and the website will be near useless to them.

so yeah, its really a sort of weird combination of all 3 of the options that you gave. i thought they went waaaay overboard with the javascript on the nrl website (it is used for pretty much EVERYTHING).. but now that firefox 3 has been released in full, and i have a nice speedy computer.. it's almost bareable. i still think they probably went overboard with it, but i think you'll find in the not-too-distant that most new computers with a good internet browser will be able to view the site the way it was intended.

- people use it for huge wankfest intros to their websites that are totally unnecessary.
- sites use it where it doesn't need to be used - i.e to display basic text... and as such the website takes logner to load than it could and should.

here are also other issues with it such as a buggy SDK (software development kit) and the SDK's interface is fairly sh*tty.

there are plenty of other reasons why developers hate flash... and i've kinda got a bit carried away with this post so i'll end it here. but there's a bit of education i guess. hope i answered your question in there somewhere serc.
In english please? :p

MC DUI

Juniors
Ok so the answer was nobody knows what Knights TV is yet they still posted in excitement...

I hate flash based sites for all the reasons peverse posted, they're a pain in the arse to browse, especially when I'm in a hurry and just want to look up some information quickly.

Karmawave

Bench
Ok so the answer was nobody knows what Knights TV is yet they still posted in excitement...

I don't think it's that hard to work out.

Other NRL teams have " Parra TV " , " Titans TV ", etc. Rabbitohs have one. Tigers have one.

In all likelihood it will follow in a similar mode to the NRL teams already doing TV on their websites.

MSKnight

Juniors
KnightsTV will be interviews, media conference and segments.

Should be open to any that register, otherwise they wouldn't have the sign on info!

Serc

First Grade
Yeah you did well mate :D might have even convinced me to get off my lazy bum and install the latest Firefox!

That list you have above is what pisses me off as joe average end-user as well, you'd think some people would realise that by now!

And shock horror I'm nerdy enough to know what SDK stands for as well :p Though it looks like young Jobber needs a copy of the internet nerds encyclopedia!

Serc

First Grade
Ahh thanks...I went to the Latest News page earlier and I don't think it was there then!

Ooooooooooh I get to listen to Karma's favourite player too :D :D :D

Adsy

Juniors
Haha loving Scotty putting in a little shot at Manly. Didn't get the soccer reference. Inside joke???