What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new look 2014 team

If Farrell is gaining some experience at 6 it will only be beneficial to his all round game. On that point I remember reading pre-season a quote from one of the players talking about how Beale was fitting in and commenting on his good kicking game. Cant remember the player who said it but it was in reference to the ball playing he would bring to the team. Not that we got to see his kicking, but if that is true....if we dont get a big name 7 before next year, maybe Widdop at 7 and Beale/Farrell at 6??? Could be worse.....

Dragonboyd

Juniors
This would be my team for next year:

1. Josh Dugan (still to sign)
2. Brett Morris
3. Dylan Farrell
4. Gerard Beale
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Rangi Chase (still to sign)
8. Dan Hunt
9. Mitch Rein
10. Jack Stockwell
11. Ben Creagh
12. Joel Thompson
13. Trent Merrin (option to move into front row in games with two back rowers on the bench)
Interchange:
14. Bronson Harrison
15. Tyson Frizell
16. Mike Cooper
17. Cameron King

This would mean, the likes of Matt Cooper, Michael Weyman, Nathan Fein, and Matt Prior would be either moving on or retiring.

This also gives up more depth in our squad with the likes of youngsters Evander Cummins, Adam Quinlin, Damian Cook, kyle stanley, chase stanley, Daniel Vidot and Jack de Belin pushing top graders for positions.

Would leave Frizell in the starting lineup, let Thompson prove himself from the interchange first... Also Weyman is playing good footy and depending on this year he's a good chance of being in, and judging by how Price can't get enough of the legend Prior, he'll definitely be in there too. :crazy:

possm

Coach
Ok, time for an update of Possm's selection for the Dragons 2014 round one team:

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Marsall
7. Widdop
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

Coach: Tim Sheens
Assistant Coach: Steve Price

Now tell me this is not a great team ........ Nice thoughts like this keep me going!

Wests Tigers must choose between re-signing current star Benji Marshall or future stars.

THE Wests Tigers are faced with one of the most crucial and difficult decisions in their history - whether to re-sign Benji Marshall.

Marshall's request for a four-year extension couldn't have come at a more awkward time, when his form, by his own admission, is at a career low. He finds himself on the bench and the Tigers' next crop of young stars are ready to make their own mark.

Young five-eighth Curtis Sironen, along with Holden Cup half sensations, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks, are earmarked to be the future of the Tigers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-or-future-stars/story-fni3fh9n-1226644784521

Last edited:
Rather keep Price as coach than go anywhere near Tim Sheens. Take away the salary cap cheating years with Canberra and his coaching record is abysmal. never got the cowboys to the finals and only got the Tigpies there three times in ten years. We complain about Price now but Tigers fans were complaining anoint sheens for years......he replaced Scott prince with John Morris at halfback for three seasons!! If he were our coach we'd have Fien next year for sure and Rein as the backup half back!

BennyV

Referee
Dragons will not be going anywhere near Marshall, he is asking for $1m a season and will be offered that by Warriors and/or Penrith. Our CEO, thankfully, is not a bumbling idiot!

Mr Red

First Grade
Ok, time for an update of Possm's selection for the Dragons 2014 round one team:

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Marsall
7. Widdop
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

Now tell me this is not a great team ........ Nice thoughts like this keep me going!
LOL@Possm..
good test for Potter - he needs to do what Ivan Cleary is doing at the Panthers and sacrifice a few way-over paid stars in order to build a stronger all round team.
Potter should move on both Marshall and Blair, free up a heap of cash to purchase more depth across the park.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Dragons will not be going anywhere near Marshall, he is asking for $1m a season and will be offered that by Warriors and/or Penrith. Our CEO, thankfully, is not a bumbling idiot!

Marshall is a marketing machine for the tigers.

He's not going anywhere. Also said he'd never play against the Tigers which I tend to believe. I know Soward said the same thing but he had no choice.

KiamaSaint

Coach

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Marsall
7. Widdop
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

I actually love that pack/bench and think that is the way we should go this year, although obviously JT is not available so we would have to cope Harrison or Prior for the moment. I also think King needs to force his way on the field for more minutes.

The back line is interesting. Will Dugan be there next year? Are we chasing Folau? If we retained Dugan and somehow managed to nap Folau, then Beale, Farrell or Stanley can fight out for the 6, we don't need a superstar in this position.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that the best available team would look something like this
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hodkinson
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

The purported move of Creagh to prop could see a switch between he and Merrin without too much disruption. Hodkinson is an underrated player IMO, off contract and the end of the year and yet to bloom
He may not be DCE but he has a good kicking game and a good footy brain and would complement Widdop IMO and together they would create opportunities for our outside backs and back rowers. He'd also be well-priced at around 275K

willzy91

Juniors
This is my updated team from when i first posted for next season:

1. J Dugan
2. B Morris
3. G Beale
4. J Morris
5. J Nightingale
6. D Farrell
7. G Widdop
8. J Stockwell
9. M Rein
10. M Weyman
11. J Thompson
12. B Creagh
13. T Merrin

14. T Frizzell
15. D Hunt
16. M Cooper
17. C King

So for the choices i have made i think firstly that Doust will be able to reunite the morris twins together for next season, Dylan Farrell as many of you all know has been playing 5/8 for the north bears and playing quality football in that position and has a season to develop in that position even further.

I think in the forward pack there had to be some changes made, firstly stockwell as a young forward is the future of the club already showing great promise this season with strong go forward and a really positive attitude to the game, so that means dan hunt back to the bench where i feel he belongs. tyson frizzell has been showing some great performances this season but he has to develop his defensive game before he should get a spot in front of joel thompson. Lastly, Mike Cooper the englishman should definitely get the first crack on the bench, ive seen some footage of him and he seems to be a big bustling forward, fingers crossed he has the same temperament as the Burgess boys.

Players who are missing from this 17 are:

The stanley bros. - Chase needs to spend time back in the cutters or has this season to develop a more consistent defensive game. and as for Kyle its a shame he got injured before this season started so he will have to start from the ground up in the cutters halves and see if he can break through.

Jack Debelin - This bloke has alot of heart but need to develop his game more, and i think just experience will get him there so he has a season to change that, time back in the cutters will give him some more direction of what he wants to be either a front rower or second rower because he seems to be lost in the middle somewhere.

Bronson Harrison - Its a shame, because this guy used to be one of the strongest off loaders in the game, he just hasnt shown any of that at the dragons so far, but yet again he has this whole season to show that if he manages to stay in the first grade team.

As for the other players not mentioned here, Matt Cooper, Nathan Fien, and Matt Prior i really do believe will or should move on next season that i have been great assets over the years for the dragons but its just time i believe.

From the rumour mill:

Israel Folou - I really dont think we should be looking at this bloke, he has no loyalty to anyone and only thinks for himself and thats not what our culture is all about.

Benji Marshall - Would be the biggest gamble, enough said.

Would like to see:

I wouldnt mind seeing the dragons go after at least one more front rower to strengthen the pack just a little more, and also see them target a quality halfback as well.

possm

Coach
I think that the best available team would look something like this
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hodkinson
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

The purported move of Creagh to prop could see a switch between he and Merrin without too much disruption. Hodkinson is an underrated player IMO, off contract and the end of the year and yet to bloom
He may not be DCE but he has a good kicking game and a good footy brain and would complement Widdop IMO and together they would create opportunities for our outside backs and back rowers. He'd also be well-priced at around 275K

I dnn't have a problem with this line up. Looks good!

Minh

First Grade
So far it looks like our halfback options to partner Widdop are from this bunch of players, Kyle Stanley- injury plagued, Drinkwater- unproven, Quinlan- looks good but untried in the halves, Fien- getting old and older and possibly Beale- might be worth a shot. Out of all these options I hope that Kyle Stanley is fit and ready for first shot at it.

Twenty10

Juniors
I am hearing sam Williams's is still a priority. I really hope this does not happen. I don't rate him at all.

Saint Anger

Juniors
Just messing around with our 2014 Charity Shield line up. :)

1. Dugan
2. BMoz
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Williams
8. Merrin
9. Rein/King
10. Weyman
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Rein/King
15. Stockwell
16. Hunt
17. Cooper
19. De Belin
20. Vidot

Resigned to the fact King is probably off now that both Rein and Garver have negotiated extensions.

Drop Bear

Juniors
Our pack has always had potential and just needed more backing from our halves, Widdop is a great addition and will give us much better guidance around the field.