What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new look 2014 team

Louiethefly

Juniors
If we don't sign Mateo, Chase or another first grade halfback, I think Kyle and Quinlan at 6 could partner Widdop at 7. And I have had a rethink of my starting line up in the forwards going with props Weyman and Merrin up front and Thompson, Frizell and Creagh in the backrow. So my team for round 1 of 2014 would be:
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Farrell
4. Beale
5. Nightingale
6. K Stanley
7. Widdop
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Merrin
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Creagh

14. Hunt
15. Stockwell
16. De Belin
17. King

We still don?t know if Prior, Matt Cooper, Weyman and Rein are staying on. We also are unsure of the capabilities of Cooper - our new prop. I think the Dragons will let go a number of fringe first graders to make way for some fresh talent.

Reserves for first grade - taken from Cutters and NYC:

1. Cummins
2. Green
3. VaiVai
4. Ranciman
5. Vidot
6. Quinlan
7. Drinkwater
8. Cooper
9. Garvey
10. Prior
11. Harrison
12. Mathews
13. C Stanley
14. Henderson
15. Ah Mau
16. Seru
17. Cook
18. Ryan
19. Hickey
20. Handcock
21. Wakeman

Thats a really solid side Possm, Could definitely compete for top 4 unless we have a horrible year of injuries.

jenninga

First Grade
De Belin really should be playing a Dallas Johnson/Ryan Hinchcliffe type role. He is not powerful enough to be a front rower and not skillful enough to be an edge runner. He should be playing in the middle of the field as a lock forward that plays 80 minutes, tackles himself to a standstill,and takes the odd hit up when the big boppers are tired. He is not an impact player either so why he is coming off the bench is beyond me. If he is not ready to play 80 minutes then he should run around for the Cutters and gain experience playing full matches.
Add Shaun Fensom to that list,i haven't seen a guy with his tackling style for a long time,DeBelin hits the midriff and floors the ball carrier with great effect.Don't think his hit ups are that effective but defence is great.

hardbaby

Coach
JDB will have a very good career. Big, strong, tough country boy. Good motor. Just needs to stay injury-free and stick to a given role. I don't think the coaches have helped his development thus far.

TheRev

Coach
JDB will have a very good career. Big, strong, tough country boy. Good motor. Just needs to stay injury-free and stick to a given role. I don't think the coaches have helped his development thus far.

Im not much interested in this thread (2013 is interesting with Dugen + #7 coming and who knows with injuries/form to come), but just to comment on the above, what I like about players like JDB is that right now he is no better than any other forward in our fringe pack, but you know hes young and capable, and you want to watch him develop, Frizzell going better but has mistakes and work to do on his Defence, but you can see in him that he might just turn into a superstar and thats whats fun for me about a football side, watching talent blossom.

Might be picking on Prior here, but the best example, he is tbh in his best form ive seen but u know hes never going to be a superstar hes 'a 1st grader', I actually put Rein in the same basket but he is still really young so hopefully im wrong on that one...

RedPenno

Juniors
for me i would love to see them bring back the 3 grades on the one day. that is one of my best memories watching the footy as a kid with my dad from lunch time. meat pie & coke in hand & cheering for the mighty red v with the blood & bandage socks

64 Dragon

Coach
The NRL are talking about having all grades on the one day. It is difficult because QLD teams have their Reserve Grade playing in Qld. The Stom use Cronulla's reserves etc. So there are a few problems to sort through.

RedPenno

Juniors
thanks for the info. yes i suppose there are problems when not every team has their own reserve grade team. just thinking back at a simpler time i suppose.:)

TheRev

Coach
It would be impossibly with sides that have no feeder club, but fully agree I think more fans want to see the young kids but a seperate trip out is pretty unlikely.

64 Dragon

Coach
The talk of playing matches at less stadiums makes the 3 matches per day more likely.
With David Smith in charge now I bet the league come up with a lot more ideas on how to promote and run the game.

FlameThrower

Bench
Dave Smith?, needs a 1 week intensive workshop on the basic's of the game! On JDB, needs guidance he is a worker, grinder, give him simple directions and he will do them.

Dezziedc

Juniors
If you can find the 2 links in the threads somewhere, watch the tributes on youtube for Rangi and the one for Josh. I believe their play styles are made for each other. They would form a very potent attacking force...

centralsaint

Juniors
Sign a hard prop, Matalino or Kasiano and our signings would be complete. Resign the likes of Weyman , Rein and some depth in Prior, Chase Stanley,Quinlan and Matthews and we are top 4 material. Evander Cummins and Jackson Hastings hopefully will be signed on very long term deals.

Minh

First Grade
1.Dugan
2.Morris
3.Beale
4.Farrell
5.Nighty
6.Rangi/Style/Widdop
7.Widdop/Williams
8.Hunt
9.Rein/King
10.Weyman/Stockwell