What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New look RLIF

yakstorm

First Grade
bowes said:
Ther are nowhere near 120000 players. The vast majority of players are in BARLA who have about 45000 registered. 16000 schools players and about 10000 forces/students/RLC at absolute best take out all the players that play two forms (a lot) and you'd be nowhere near 120000. Not sure how they've got it even counting players twice.

Excluding the schoolboys the actual number of players in the game has decreased, with every new RLC team replacing about 3 gone from BARLA.

BARLA have a very careful registration set-up whereas the other areas have dubious figures. If you'd like to provide evidence that there are 80,000 players outside of BARLA I'll be inclined to agree with you, but make believing that some highly dubious figures are true is not evidence

If you read what I wrote, I said "I do believe there were 120,000 participants under in RL in the UK in 2005 under what Sports England defines as a participant." Now as I defined a participant isn't just the traditional player who is signed up to a club and plays on a weekly basis for 10 - 20 weeks in a year, it can include a range of different programs and events, some within school where the individual may not play much more than a game of Sevens or Nines. A player can also be counted multiple times under the definition of a participant if they happen to fall under multiple areas of counting.

Anyway, lets do some quick internet searching and see what we can get:

BARLA - 45,000
Champions Schools (Boys) - 25,000
Champions Schools (Girls) - 3,000
BUSA - 2,400
College - 1,300
Other Student RL - 900
Rugby League Conference - 3,000
Womens - 4,000
ESRL - 32,000 (60,000 According to Sports England, so less Champions Schools)
CSRL - 2,000
Wales - ?
Scotland - ?

Now anyway, I don't work for the RFL, so I don't have access to all their figures, but up there I've found 118,000 participants by searching the internet for around half an hour and thats excluding players from competitions like Merit Leagues, and Junior and other Senior comps in the Mid-Lands, London and so on. Don't forget also there is possibly about 1,000 players or so between Super League, National League 1 & 2 play the Academy levels below them which can be added and as you can see it all adds up very quickly.

Throw in some work by the Development Officers, heck a simple one day Gala Day featuring 10 schools playing nines (so say 15 players each squad), would be an extra 150 participants that would be added in there outside of any of those areas above. Say 10 of those a held a year by each of the 20 development regions there is 30,000 there again who technical could be defined as participants.

Now sure there will be some double even triple ups there, with some players in 1 area counting under other areas, but as far as Sports England is concerned they are separate participants, all sports in England do this, its why you get scenarios where some sports in the UK have more participants in a particular area than there are actually people who qualify for that age group (netball is notorious for this).

So again yes I do believe there are 120,000 registered participants in the UK for Rugby League. How many of these do I believe are RL players in a traditional sense, possibly closer to 70-80K but as a sport we are expected to count participants the same way as every other sport, so its 120,000 then.

yakstorm

First Grade
thatsgood said:
Is it just me or is there no link to the rlif.org on the nrl or arl webstie. or rfl. or superleague. or at leaguenet. or nzrl.

http://www.australianrugbyleague.com.au/index.cgi?sID=13

http://www.therfl.co.uk/HOME/links.php

http://nzrl.sitesuite.ws/plugins/linksfeed.cgi

Thank goodness for the rlef. theyre the only major website Ive seen with links to the rlif. Really there should be links to the rlif at the top of EVERY main rugby league webstie, but theres not even links down the bottom or on the links page. How is the average fan expected to find out about the rlif if there arent even links on the major websites.

Could someone please point out the links to me? I really do hope im wrong about this.

The ARL website is being revamped, so as far as I know it will be on the new look site to be launched around Feb/Mar. The other two, well the RLIF site still hasn't been 'officially' launched yet, so maybe they are waiting on that.... not sure....

bowes

Juniors
Okay fair enough the figures have a basis I'll admit. By the way what's ESRL? That seems to be what tips the balance along with schools. The other figures look right so that would be what seems to make it up to 120,000 registered players. I thought it was 16000 in champion schools earlier?

Of course a lot fo players double up but if it's how other sports do it then makes sense to do it like that

bowes

Juniors
okay makes sense, although seems strange there's that many players outside of Champion Schools

bowes

Juniors
If there are that many school players then I'll agree there is a lot of players but it hasn't raised significantly recently

ali

Bench
ParraEelsNRL said:
http://www.rlif.org/article.php?id=1160

RLIF Website goes Multi-Lingual
Sunday, 21st January 2007

As the game of Rugby League continues to grow around the globe, the Rugby League International Federation has acknowledged the need to cater for the various languages of its new and establishing members.

To help make it easier for players, officials and fans from each of these member nations to keep up to date with the information that those from English speaking nations take for granted, the RLIF has introduced 10 new language formats for its website.

The new language options are:
- Arabic
- Chinese (Simplified)
- French
- German
- Italian
- Japanese
- Korean
- Portuguese
- Russian
- Spanish

To translate the page into one of the above language formats, please select from the appropriate flag on the right hand side of the RLIF home page.

The RLIF will look over the next 12 months to continuing to translate all components of the website include rules, laws and other documentation into multi-lingual formats.

I noticed that it an automated translation. Can someone who speaks one of those languages fluently comment on how accurate the translations are?

I notice they also have a google news search feature, which unfortiunately is returning the odd Union article.

I've emailed them to suggest they put up the international eligability laws for the 08 world cup.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I posted this at RugbyForumX111 the other day in French (translated from the RLIF site) but no one has posted back, it's had a lot of views, so it must work, they'd have given it to me if it wasn't right :lol:

Coastbloke

Bench
It would be nice to have a "Contact us" link...

I'd like to congratulate them and ask about the World Cup launch....

Copa

Bench
THe www.rlif.org site is fantastic for rugby league.

Don't mean to sound cynical.... however...I must admit though .... the decent quality surpised me..

It seems to actually be updated regularly..

Latest posts