What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New look RLIF

bowes

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Having PM'd Yanto he told me that he would be carrying on domestically with the NNRLB. Whether that allows them to be listed by the RLIF after being dropped by the RLEF is anyone's guess.
They have more right to be listed than some of the others. Good to hear that though thought they'd stopped completely

Eastender

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
We've seen before, especially here in the U.K., how the media with their RU bias can ridicule RL. They never need ammunition to put RL down so I'd hate it if we were to give them a reason to do it.

This is a very good point......a concrete criteria needs to be put in place even for mere recognition by the RLIF if the game is not to be considered as a laughing stock.

Ari Gold

Bench
bowes said:
They should get Ivory Coast, Sweden, Norway, Tuvalu and probably Canada off (Canada had two regional 9s leagues in 2003 but NOTHING since, although they were considering coming back with US based players so if they do they have as much right as Italy etc to be listed).

Also haven't Argentina, New Caledonia and the Netherlands stopped?

How? RL was played in Italy in 2006, and it will again in 2007

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Ireland a pretty good domestic comp going, next season will see them split into 3 groups. Main group and a north and south group.
Last time i looked they had 18 clubs.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Scotland are also doing really well, couple of years ago they had 500 registered rugby league players. They now have well over 1000 registered players. May not be mush by NZ Aus PNG France or England standards but its pretty bloody good for a new sport that wasn't even played in Ireland and Scotland 5 years ago.

otag

Juniors
great improvement on the first website a few months ago. ffs, afl is international because they have two teams playing (aus and ireland), no-one can honestly doubt that rugby league has a international game.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Sure they can Otag and they normally do. Then they start telling you how great union is.

But then these people never go to a soccer forum and tell soccer fans how pathetic there sport is.

Unionists are bullys.

Anyway back on track....It's a nice professional looking site.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sam_the_man said:
Scotland are also doing really well, couple of years ago they had 500 registered rugby league players. They now have well over 1000 registered players. May not be mush by NZ Aus PNG France or England standards but its pretty bloody good for a new sport that wasn't even played in Ireland and Scotland 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure RL has been played in Scotland and Ireland domestically for a fair deal longer than five years Sam.

bowes

Juniors
robyalvaro said:
How? RL was played in Italy in 2006, and it will again in 2007
Sorry bad example. I meant one of the teams with no presence in the country. But I said only if Canada brought back a national team the plans of which I think have been scrapped

bowes

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
Ireland a pretty good domestic comp going, next season will see them split into 3 groups. Main group and a north and south group.
Last time i looked they had 18 clubs.
There were thirteen last season. Do you know of multiple new teams coming in this year or was that research based on wikipedia which also included all the recently defunct clubs til I sorted it out?

bowes

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
I'm pretty sure RL has been played in Scotland and Ireland domestically for a fair deal longer than five years Sam.
continuously in Scotland since 1997. In Ireland on and off since then but one of the Dublin clubs is a lot older.

deluded pom?

Coach
I see that Sweden have mysteriously disappeared from the RLIF list :? Strangely, they are still on the RLEF list :?

crimpo

Juniors
A quick comment on the ratings - I don't see much point in the folks with 0.00 being listed - though that would take out Jamaica (who deserve a mention). As for sides like the Netherlands, Georgia, New Caledonia and Argentina - well they have played recently even if they may not be playing now. As time passes their results will presumably drop off the list if they do not continue to play or return to playing. If that happens then I have no problem with them being listed for the present.

As for Tuvalu - it was never a NZ territory. It is the old Ellice Islands (once part of the Gilbert & Ellice Islands) out in Polynesia and has been independent for at least 25 years. I NEVER remember them playing RL but perhaps, perhaps... Unfortunately like Kiribati (the old Gilbert Islands) the ravages of global warming and sea-level rises may make it a moot point.

crimpo

Juniors
Oops I should have said - like the look of the RLIF site - HUGE improvement! Keep it updated and it will be a real resource.

bowes

Juniors
crimpo said:
A quick comment on the ratings - I don't see much point in the folks with 0.00 being listed - though that would take out Jamaica (who deserve a mention). As for sides like the Netherlands, Georgia, New Caledonia and Argentina - well they have played recently even if they may not be playing now. As time passes their results will presumably drop off the list if they do not continue to play or return to playing. If that happens then I have no problem with them being listed for the present.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be ranked, not sure whether they should or not. But they most certainly shouldn't be even affiliate RLIF members

Sam_the_man

First Grade
bowes said:
There were thirteen last season. Do you know of multiple new teams coming in this year or was that research based on wikipedia which also included all the recently defunct clubs til I sorted it out?

I read on a forum somewhere recently, probably here that they had 3 groups now. The main group and then a southern and northern group.
Last time i checked on the Ireland website they had 18 clubs, has this changed?

bowes

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
I read on a forum somewhere recently, probably here that they had 3 groups now. The main group and then a southern and northern group.
Last time i checked on the Ireland website they had 18 clubs, has this changed?
There's never been 18 clubs just the defunct ones left up (there were supposed to be 15 in 2005 but 2 resigned pre-season). Thirteen took part last year but if there's 3 divisions there should be around 15-18 teams depending on the size of the divisions.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
aarondoyle said:
Under Estonia I think they've linked to the Estonian Rugby Union...

The Estonian Rugby Federation plays both codes, but seems to mainly concentrate on league.

They don't have a domestic comp, and rely on incoming touring sides. Unfortunately they don't have too many league sides visit (although they are very keen to host them), but seem to attract a reasonable number of union teams.