What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Brutus

Referee
I call whatever things are whatever they are, my gripe is when people called Skilled Park Skilled Stadium or AAMI Park AAMI Stadium - as both have other incarnations in other states.

Agree. Don't like hearing Skilled Stadium mentioned when referring to the Titans' ground. It happens all too often.

Was in melbourne over the weekend for the dragons game (bah the result!) and saw the new ground close up (outside only tho!). def gonna be heading down again when we get to play there. Etihad is a decent stadium but still so far away from the action. Obvious as it is melbourne storm needs this so badly, a ground like this will hopefully keep a lot of the curious observers coming back. There was loads of purple all around town (might have been stalking me) throughout the night. As a league fan was great to see.

ozjet1

If there wasn't a company putting the bucks in for naming rights it would still be called Lang Park.

A lot of people north of the border still refer to it as Lang Park.

i still call all stadiums by their location or original name.........f**k it if im going to pander to yet another corporate.

BRI - Lang Park
CAR - Canberra
CAB - Olympic Stadium (Homebush Bay)
CRO - Endeavour
GC - Robina
MAN - Brookvale
MEL - Olympic Park
NEW - Newcastle
NQ - Townsville
NZW - Mt Smart
PAR - Parramatta
PEN - Penrith
SGI - Kogarah/Wollongong
SS - Olympic Stadium (Homebush Bay)
SYD - SFS (Moore Park)
WT - Campbelltown/Leichhardt

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
i still call all stadiums by their location or original name.........f**k it if im going to pander to yet another corporate.

BRI - Lang Park
CAR - Canberra
CAB - Olympic Stadium (Homebush Bay)
CRO - Endeavour
GC - Robina
MAN - Brookvale
MEL - Olympic Park
NEW - Newcastle
NQ - Townsville
NZW - Mt Smart
PAR - Parramatta
PEN - Penrith
SGI - Kogarah/Wollongong
SS - Olympic Stadium (Homebush Bay)
SYD - SFS (Moore Park)
WT - Campbelltown/Leichhardt

You can get a job for the ABC then! :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep, the list above is roughly what the ABC by their charter must refer to stadia as. Not allowed to mention the commercial names.

westie

Bench
Is anyone going down for the test? We've got a few lads going down for a bender weekend if anyone wants to catch up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
gutted, i was going but just found out my flight back from India means i'll miss it. Damn!!

Timbo

Staff member
I kind of like what they do at soem US Stadiums which have historic names.

When a corporate sponsor comes on board, you stipulate that while they are sponsoring the stadium the playing field itself retains it's original name.

For example, you could end up with 'Suncorp Stadium at Lang Park' as a name in Brisbane, or 'WIN Stadium at Jubilee' in Kogarah.

It's a way of getting the sponsors dollars and keeping the traditional names alive at the same time.

When a corporate sponsor comes on board, you stipulate that while they are sponsoring the stadium the playing field itself retains it's original name.

For example, you could end up with 'Suncorp Stadium at Lang Park' as a name in Brisbane, or 'WIN Stadium at Jubilee' in Kogarah.

It's a way of getting the sponsors dollars and keeping the traditional names alive at the same time.

I like it.

Though, "WIN Stadium at Wollongong Showground" is a tad long

chrisc101

Juniors
What happens in 2022, when either the Storm play a massive match or the NRL wants an SOO in Melbourne? Given that Etihad Stadium will then be owned by the AFL, wonder if they will lock out other sports and force us to play at AMMI Park...something to ponder...

Timbo

Staff member
What happens in 2022, when either the Storm play a massive match or the NRL wants an SOO in Melbourne? Given that Etihad Stadium will then be owned by the AFL, wonder if they will lock out other sports and force us to play at AMMI Park...something to ponder...

Hopefully the idea that SOO should be played in Melbourne will have fallen by the wayside by then. I still hate the idea of NSW vs QLD in Victoria. But, test matches by all means.

31,500 will be sufficently large for big Storm games for a long time to come.

Anyway. The AFL aren't idiots - an AFL owned stadium will still rent itself out to the NRL if we're going to sell 52,000 tickets to an event - it's just money in their pocket.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

We'll go back to selling out the MCG for Origins.

Timbo

Staff member
I like it.

Though, "WIN Stadium at Wollongong Showground" is a tad long

I just discovered that it's happening here now too.

Well, close to here.

The new stadium in Dunedin which was originally 'University of Otago Stadium' is being sponsored by financial group Forsyth Barr.

Stadium name - 'Forsyth Barr Stadium at University Plaza'.

I like it. Wouldn't mind to see similar here.

Timmah

Staff member

When Bluetongue Stadium was originally built NorthPower (a local energy company at the time) acquired the rights. Until Express Advocate and then Bluetongue took over those naming rights, the official title was "NorthPower Stadium at Grahame Park".

Timmah

Staff member
For interests sake a list of grounds currently in the NRL

Suncorp Stadium at Lang Park
ANZ Stadium at Stadium Australia
Canberra Stadium (not sure you'd need to refer to Bruce here as Canberra isn't a sponsor as such)
Toyota Stadium at Shark Park
Brookvale Oval
AAMI Park at Melbourne Park
Etihad Stadium at Docklands
EnergyAustralia Stadium at Newcastle International Sports Centre
Mt Smart Stadium
Dairy Farmers Stadium at The Willows
Parramatta Stadium
Credit Union Australia Stadium, Penrith
WIN Jubilee Oval at Kogarah
WIN Stadium at Wollongong Showground
Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park
Leichhardt Oval
Campbelltown Sports Stadium at Orana Park
Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium at Grahame Park
Skilled Park at Robina
Members Equity Stadium at Perth Oval
AMI Stadium at Lancaster Park, Christchurch

LESStar58

Referee
It was called Lang Park when it was a dodgy old ground, it's been Suncorp ever since the renovation and partway before that too.

Game 3 of the 94 series was the first played at Suncorp Stadium and before that it was obviously Lang Park. They reverted back to Lang Park for the first game of the 2001 series which was the last before the renovations began...

Last edited:

AuckMel

Bench
139267-inside-view.jpg

140967-red-sky.jpg

141004-rectangle-stadium.jpg