What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New post on the Big Boy Blog. Dragons Mania, Depression and the Downward Spiral.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
f**k Reefy you obviously didnt come out Engadine way last week did you , was awash ini red and white - saints jersys being rafled mainstreet , saints players did promos in engadine schools the week before , flags on every second car , flags and streamers on the houses , it was farked man , sharks have lost this end of the shire too

Long time since i have been there but Engadine was always a sympathetic suburb for the Dragons. Even the original local team was called the dragons.
Engadine is a low socio economic area but provides a much better lifestyle & quality of life than anything in the St George bowl, so it makes sense that a lot of cretins from the bowl relocate to the shire, in particular, Engadine menai.
The area can still be won, it just requires years of work & a bit of success.
A field in Sutherland would make it a lot better.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I'm still trying to get me old head around the fact that the NRL has come down on the cheating Storm and told them that none of the existing players are allowed to sign for a reduced contract fee for 2011 to allow the players to remain at the club.

But on the other hand the stains $2.67 center can be signed for a pittence for 2010 and then back end it massively with third party payments for his four of five year contract ... when its as plain as the nose on your face that he won't last the five year "big massive" contract.

Even the masters of third party contracts ... the donkeys, were whinging about the contract details.

no risk as far as I am concerned, and that is the games rigged.

Rorters get rewarded.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Well .. you lot do benefit from the back ended contract

jackb

Juniors
jackb, what it would take for you to change teams then??

Probably too long in the tooth to change now Andrew but I live and work in the shire and will support the Sharks as my second team. My kids are close to a few of the players and know most of the Souths squad as well - we were hoping that Luke Capewell would be at the Sharkes next season and would have supported him with his new club but he wound up at the Titans.

Looks like you have reached your salary cap now but you have a top squad ready for season 2011. I will be cheering your boys on in many matches.

Jono1987

Juniors
I guess the important demographic trait to come out of this post, is this;
Sharks supporters have class.
We can still love our team, but don't have to dress our family up like pharkwitts & vandalise our own property with neanderthal decorations & the like.

:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe your higher socio-economic class should help your struggling, dying club out more then. Convince other well-off friends to attend games and such. On your second point you must understand we have large, fanatical support. You do not. I feel for you in this regard.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe your higher socio-economic class should help your struggling, dying club out more then. Convince other well-off friends to attend games and such. On your second point you must understand we have large, fanatical support. You do not. I feel for you in this regard.

Yeah, you are probably right about our higher(than St GEorge) socio economic class of Shark Supporting resident, contributing more. I agree.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
http://letsgotothebigboy.blogspot.com/2010/10/dragons-mania-shire-pride-never-ending.html

thursday, October 7, 2010

Dragons Mania, shire pride, the never ending downward spiral and depression.

The week just gone has been a bad week for Sharks supporters. Hopefully it will be the end of a bad couple of years, but to see our mortal enemies, the merged Dragons suceed while we flounder badly hurts. When the sharks would go bad, it would be some kind of comfort to sit back and watch the dragons implode and choke in the finals. No such luck this year. And it has left me, and many other long time supporters to wonder; when will it end?

What hurts even more is to see our homeland, the Cronulla district FILLED to the brim with support for the Dragons. Certain shops (namely Eloura take away, the shearers cook bakery, and Pauls famous hamburgers) which service the district should hang their head in shame at their outward support of the dragons and have lost this discerning customers ongoing business. Homes were decorated. And the worst was the cars. Scores of cars with dragons flags and streamers proudly waving in the wind. You would think that the sharks didnt exist, and to many of the local residents, they dont.

Now, let me clarify. It is any persons right to support who they want. But if you live in an area that is serviced by a certain team, and if you are a business, you have a moral obligation to support your local product, just as the local community supports you. Dont like it? Move.

So despairing is the situation that long time supporter and mate of mine, Garbz posted the following on the CSSC forum.

This week has convinced me that the Sharks have no future in the Shire. There are more Dragons fans here than Sharks fans; the place has been a sea of red and white all throughout the finals series. Even when we were showing some signs of success back in the Johnny Lang days I don't remember ever seeing so much black, white and blue in the area.

All the NRL would lose by either forcing us to relocate or forcibly taking our license and awarding it to some other region is the support of about 8000 people. The vacuum would very quickly be filled up by the Dragons, who would probably play a couple of games at Woolooware and pull bigger crowds than we ever have anyway.

With that in mind, we have four options:

1. Cling for dear life to our current position in the Shire, pandering to the needs of 8000 or so selfish fans (including myself) and never really amounting to anything until the time eventually arrives when we fall over (not necessarily due to poor management, either.)

2. Fold. Kind of pointless really.

3. Relocate. Probably our best option; it would be a matter of finding a suitable place to move to where the Sharks brand can take off. I'm thinking that a relocation merger with the Perth Reds would be the best option - Western Australia is due for another crack at the top league.

4. Merge. Unfortunately, I don't see any club that would be willing to accept us an equal partner in a merge. I expect this would be more of a take-over and we'd get a token strip of blue on a jersey (if that.) I'm sure the Dragons would be happy to take us over... but I'm not sure how popular that'd be.

Discuss.

Scary stuff. However, I have to disagree with Garbz here. While it is a disconcerting time, I think the following applies with regards to dragons-mania.

- The dragons have one of the biggest fan bases in the NRL. This comes mainly from a few factors : 1)They are essentially 2 teams and cover a huge geographic area.2) Theyre ongoing success in the 60s and 70s engendered an entire generation of support and this was passed on to succeeding generations.
- The dragons have many fair-weather fans who loudly and proudly come out of their holes when times are good. This is the same for any NRL team, but strangely, even more for these guys.
- The shire is essentially a utopian island within festering dragons territory. Some seepage has to be expected.
- The soccer world cup seemed to be the beginning of the car-flag craze. I reckon from now on, whenever there is a big sporting event, we will see much more car decoration than there has been in the past.

Heres the sting. If the sharks were to win minor premierships back to back and then go on to win a gf, I reckon our levels of support would be up there (not quite as good as) the dragons. However, and this is where Garbz negativity comes from, where are these wins going to come from? If we continue to flounder at the bottom of the table, will we be eaten up? I dont know.

The only consolation I can take is that there is a certain purity in supporting a perrenial underdog. Dragons fans felt hard done by that they had to wait 31 years to see success and when it came, they rightfully celebrated. How sweet then, will our victory hour be, when and if it comes.

Keep your chins up and go the Sharkies.

millersnose

Post Whore
newman

with due respect you are missing part of the joy of being a sharks supporter

who else can claim such an entertaining and drama filled history

recent history shows salary cap creativeness with the dragons and the storm are winning premierships

its just a fact of life in the nrl these days

enjoy the ride