What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

SnowDragon

Juniors
Potential Dolphins target Jaydn Su’A heads the list of 24 Dragons in contract limbo
Up to 80 per cent of the St George Illawarra Dragons player roster could be offloaded within two years – some may see a crisis but for the right coach it could be a huge opportunity.

David Riccio
Peter Badel
and
Michael Carayannis
3 min read
March 31, 2023 - 4:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

Follow
Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has revealed his interest in signing Jaydn Su’A as the Queensland Origin hitman weighs up his future at the Dragons.

Su’A will be a key man for the Dragons in Saturday’s clash against the Dolphins at WIN Stadium, but Bennett is circling amid speculation the St George Illawarra enforcer may consider a return to Queensland for family reasons.

The development has emerged amid a backdrop of uncertainty surrounding head coach Anthony Griffin and the confronting reality that 80 per cent of the Dragons current roster are yet to be re-signed beyond next season.

As it stands, St George-Illawarra have 24 players that could be available from November 1 this year.

Among the list are the club’s biggest names including Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, Moses Suli, Matthew Feagai, Max Feagai and Su’A.

The bloated list of players yet to commit to Saints could also prove beneficial, should the club move on Griffin.

(L-R) Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su'A and Jack Bird are among those available from November 1.
(L-R) Tyrell Sloan, Jaydn Su'A and Jack Bird are among those available from November 1.
It would allow an incoming coach to make immediate calls on the roster without inheriting players on long contracts.

The club isn’t sitting idle with discussions underway with winger Mikaele Ravalawa in the hope of locking him down on a multi-year deal.

Ravalawa has an option in his favour for 2024 that he is yet to take up, however the club are hopeful of making progress to keep him at the club.

Jack de Belin has already taken up his option to remain at the club for 2024.

The deal worth about $800,000 ensures de Belin is amongst the highest paid players at the club. De Belin will be 33 when his deal ends.

The rest of the uncontracted players including regular first team starters Moses Mbye, Jacob Liddle and Josh Kerr are yet to receive new deals.

However, Bennett’s interest in Su’A should be treated with alarm by Dragons officials.

Off-Contract Dragons (2023)
Billy Burns

Jacob Liddle

Josh Kerr

Moses Mbye

Nick Lui-Toso

Tautau Moga

Tyrell Fuimaono

Michael Molo (player option)

Mikaele Ravalawa (player option)

Jack de Belin (player option)

Off-Contract Dragons (2024)
Alec Tuitavake

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Cody Ramsey

Francis Molo

Jaiyden Hunt

Jaydn Su’A

Matthew Feagai

Max Feagai

Jack Bird (mutual option)

Moses Suli

Paul Turner

Talatau Amone

Tyrell Sloan

Zane Musgrove

Su’A has a long history with Bennett, who gave the 25-year-old his Broncos debut in 2016, threw him a lifeline at Souths and also handed the hard-hitting back-rower his Queensland Origin baptism in 2020.

The Samoan World Cup star is contracted to the Dragons until the end of next year, but Bennett says if Su’A is open to a fresh start at the Dolphins, he is keen to talk to him.

“I would certainly be interested in Jaydn Su’A,” Bennett said ahead of the Dolphins-Dragons round 5 clash in Wollongong.

“From my understanding, Jaydn has another year to go with the Dragons but I have a good relationship with him.

“He was a very good player for me at the Broncos, I brought him into first grade and then I gave him a chance at South Sydney when he was struggling with injury (at Brisbane) and he was outstanding for us at the Rabbitohs.

“If and when he becomes a free agent, if Jaydn wants to come back to Queensland, I’m certainly keen to talk to him.”

Wayne Bennett talks to Jaydn Su'A at Maroons training.
It is understood Su’A considered asking for a release last year during a difficult 2022 season for the Red V, but he never formally advised Dragons bosses he wanted out.

Another disastrous campaign this season could convince Su’A to reunite with Bennett, especially due to his family ties in Queensland.

A veteran of 105 NRL games, Su’A said while he misses his family in Queensland, he is content with his football at the Dragons.

“I’m genuinely happy here at the Dragons,” he said.

“My partner is set-up down here, she works at one of the hospitals here.

“We obviously do miss our family. I don’t get to go home too much and that can be hard.

“There‘s obviously days where you miss home.

“But I’ve created a good bond with the boys. I need to play well to get that next extension.

More Coverage
Cheese promises to reveal Storm secrets
Sport Con: Price set for dream debut against dad’s Dogs
“The better you play, the more opportunities come up.

“Hopefully I can play well and it (interest in Su‘A) skyrockets.”

qld redvee

Juniors
Potential Dolphins target Jaydn Su’A heads the list of 24 Dragons in contract limbo
Up to 80 per cent of the St George Illawarra Dragons player roster could be offloaded within two years – some may see a crisis but for the right coach it could be a huge opportunity.

David Riccio
Peter Badel
and
Michael Carayannis
3 min read
0 comments

Follow
Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has revealed his interest in signing Jaydn Su’A as the Queensland Origin hitman weighs up his future at the Dragons.

Su’A will be a key man for the Dragons in Saturday’s clash against the Dolphins at WIN Stadium, but Bennett is circling amid speculation the St George Illawarra enforcer may consider a return to Queensland for family reasons.

The development has emerged amid a backdrop of uncertainty surrounding head coach Anthony Griffin and the confronting reality that 80 per cent of the Dragons current roster are yet to be re-signed beyond next season.

As it stands, St George-Illawarra have 24 players that could be available from November 1 this year.

Among the list are the club’s biggest names including Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone, Jack Bird, Moses Suli, Matthew Feagai, Max Feagai and Su’A.

The bloated list of players yet to commit to Saints could also prove beneficial, should the club move on Griffin.

It would allow an incoming coach to make immediate calls on the roster without inheriting players on long contracts.

The club isn’t sitting idle with discussions underway with winger Mikaele Ravalawa in the hope of locking him down on a multi-year deal.

Ravalawa has an option in his favour for 2024 that he is yet to take up, however the club are hopeful of making progress to keep him at the club.

The deal worth about $800,000 ensures de Belin is amongst the highest paid players at the club. De Belin will be 33 when his deal ends.

The rest of the uncontracted players including regular first team starters Moses Mbye, Jacob Liddle and Josh Kerr are yet to receive new deals.

However, Bennett’s interest in Su’A should be treated with alarm by Dragons officials.

Billy Burns

Jacob Liddle

Josh Kerr

Moses Mbye

Nick Lui-Toso

Tautau Moga

Tyrell Fuimaono

Alec Tuitavake

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Cody Ramsey

Francis Molo

Jaiyden Hunt

Jaydn Su’A

Matthew Feagai

Max Feagai

Moses Suli

Paul Turner

Talatau Amone

Tyrell Sloan

Zane Musgrove

Su’A has a long history with Bennett, who gave the 25-year-old his Broncos debut in 2016, threw him a lifeline at Souths and also handed the hard-hitting back-rower his Queensland Origin baptism in 2020.

The Samoan World Cup star is contracted to the Dragons until the end of next year, but Bennett says if Su’A is open to a fresh start at the Dolphins, he is keen to talk to him.

“I would certainly be interested in Jaydn Su’A,” Bennett said ahead of the Dolphins-Dragons round 5 clash in Wollongong.

“From my understanding, Jaydn has another year to go with the Dragons but I have a good relationship with him.

“He was a very good player for me at the Broncos, I brought him into first grade and then I gave him a chance at South Sydney when he was struggling with injury (at Brisbane) and he was outstanding for us at the Rabbitohs.

“If and when he becomes a free agent, if Jaydn wants to come back to Queensland, I’m certainly keen to talk to him.”

It is understood Su’A considered asking for a release last year during a difficult 2022 season for the Red V, but he never formally advised Dragons bosses he wanted out.

Another disastrous campaign this season could convince Su’A to reunite with Bennett, especially due to his family ties in Queensland.

A veteran of 105 NRL games, Su’A said while he misses his family in Queensland, he is content with his football at the Dragons.

“We obviously do miss our family. I don’t get to go home too much and that can be hard.

“But I’ve created a good bond with the boys. I need to play well to get that next extension.

More Coverage

Snow
Thanks for the article.bit of a worry in my opinion trying to sign rava up to multi year

Gardenia

Juniors

David Riccio
Peter Badel
and
Michael Carayannis
3 min read
0 comments

Follow

Billy Burns

Jacob Liddle

Josh Kerr

Moses Mbye

Nick Lui-Toso

Tautau Moga

Tyrell Fuimaono

Alec Tuitavake

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Cody Ramsey

Francis Molo

Jaiyden Hunt

Jaydn Su’A

Matthew Feagai

Max Feagai

Moses Suli

Paul Turner

Talatau Amone

Tyrell Sloan

Zane Musgrove

More Coverage

Thanks - bit of a worry about Sua

thebigredv

First Grade
As has been the case for some time now, as long as we don't have a coach that can make waves in the modern game the players we have are almost irrelevant. Su'a will go if by his free agency we haven't turned our fortunes around as a club. He's a class player.

Get Wane over from England or somehow snare Bellamy and let's have an actual go at this competition.

Not bothered with losing a bulk of our current squad as the new coach will bring in the right kind of DNA.

getsmarty

Immortal

David Riccio
Peter Badel
and
Michael Carayannis
3 min read
0 comments

Follow

Billy Burns

Jacob Liddle

Josh Kerr

Moses Mbye

Nick Lui-Toso

Tautau Moga

Tyrell Fuimaono

Alec Tuitavake

Ben Murdoch-Masila

Cody Ramsey

Francis Molo

Jaiyden Hunt

Jaydn Su’A

Matthew Feagai

Max Feagai

Moses Suli

Paul Turner

Talatau Amone

Tyrell Sloan

Zane Musgrove

More Coverage

Thankyou for posting @SnowDragon

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If Wayne with that crazy cheque comes knocking there is nothing that can be done to compete against

That's the cycle we are all in

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The heading for the article is quote possibly the most click bate I ever seen vs such common knowledge content ever written

That was terrible

Ps but thanks for the copy and paste guys

I'd say the dolphins are already after Kerr right now

Trifili13

Juniors
I would suggest most player contracts are for 2 to 3 year durations with maybe player or club or mutual options for an extra year so most club rosters could in theory turn over within this period so the 80% figure is simply alarmist and click bait. The difference between us and the better clubs is that the players at the better clubs resign while we just get plodders to replace plodders as decent players don't want to come to us.

I really couldn't care if the whole squad was turned over, it's not as if we are dismantling a top 8 or premiership side. We have made the semis what twice in the past 10 years.

While the Dogs still need a good half to steer them around the park, you can see they are going places with the players they have bought in the last couple of years. The have the Laundy family that appear to be passionate supporters and sponsors of the club and Gould who is a mover and shaker in the league world and together are able to attract players that we simply can't or won't.

Gardenia

Juniors
As has been the case for some time now, as long as we don't have a coach that can make waves in the modern game the players we have are almost irrelevant. Su'a will go if by his free agency we haven't turned our fortunes around as a club. He's a class player.

Get Wane over from England or somehow snare Bellamy and let's have an actual go at this competition.

Not bothered with losing a bulk of our current squad as the new coach will bring in the right kind of DNA.
I agree but also think that depends on who the coach is.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Suli had the best year of his career last year and was one of our better players. He's not been great so far in 2023, but who has? His form might have something to do with the coach switching him over the right side for.... reasons?

I was going to give Suli a serve however, as you say Victore, he has been great for us.

Hopefully, he can help the Manly fellows settle in.

Latest posts