What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

I'm not breaking any news in stating that the Dragons need recruits to improve their side in 2024.

The Dragons engine room has routinely been run-over this season. Matt Lodge would walk into this starting line up and would instantly improve their rotation.

Francis and Michael Molo will line up in the middle for the Red V this weekend with Ben Murdoch-Masila running out at lock.

Blake Lawrie and Jack de Belin are missing but even if at full strength Matt Lodge can pretty much pick his positon and name his price.

The Dragons have a history of taking chances on players with off-season pasts so I don't forsee that even coming into the decision making process.

Shane Flanagan is shaping as the option as next coach at the Dragons. He built his Sharks Premiership side around two big, aggressive forwards.

Lodge fits that bill and I'd be absolutely shocked if he weren't in the Dragons sights. They certainly have both the spot available and you'd have to think the cap space

jeffdragon

Bench

I'm not breaking any news in stating that the Dragons need recruits to improve their side in 2024.

The Dragons engine room has routinely been run-over this season. Matt Lodge would walk into this starting line up and would instantly improve their rotation.

Francis and Michael Molo will line up in the middle for the Red V this weekend with Ben Murdoch-Masila running out at lock.

Blake Lawrie and Jack de Belin are missing but even if at full strength Matt Lodge can pretty much pick his positon and name his price.

The Dragons have a history of taking chances on players with off-season pasts so I don't forsee that even coming into the decision making process.

Shane Flanagan is shaping as the option as next coach at the Dragons. He built his Sharks Premiership side around two big, aggressive forwards.

Lodge fits that bill and I'd be absolutely shocked if he weren't in the Dragons sights. They certainly have both the spot available and you'd have to think the cap space
Hearing him.speak during games I think k flanno would sign him.
I posted that Lodge is available earlier on those topic and a few said No Thanks.

possm

Coach
Love sloan as a player, but how good would it be to get a Dylan edwards type player. Spine of 1.Edwards 6.Sloan 7.Sullivan 9.Hunt.. I know sloan isnt a 6 but in the right system it could be a masterstroke
Well, I'ed like to see Sloan 6, Sullivan 7, and Hunt 9. This should be implemented now in order to have any chance of making the 8 in 2024.

Who to play fullback is the next question. I'm leaning toward Lomax mainly because of his size, defensive skills, and passing skills. I also believe he has the capability to organize our backline defensive line. He is also a very experienced first grader who would be solid at the back.

My thought is to move Feagai to the left center, and Sulli to the right center position. I'd then promote Lobb from reserve grade to the first-grade left wing position.

Of course, this is a backline re-shuffle that can be implemented now. The main problems in our top 17 are in our forward pack, that is, the prop rotation and our left edge forward. Maybe Matt Lodge to be one of two new props recruited for 2024.

The above changes are not so difficult to implement this year. If Lomax at fullback does not work out, then I'd be looking for Tom Turbo to be our fullback from 2024 on.

Last edited:
Observing the career trajectories of players we have let go (especially Garrick, Robson, Host, Ford) and those we have signed I'm wondering what our recruitment and retention criteria are?
Quickest to down a schooner? Fastest to chase down a tradie over 50m?
Ever since we signed Wendell this club seems to have the idea that they can rehabilitate bad boys. Hence a litany of has-been chronic f-wits like Dugan and Packer ( and one might even add Jammer, who was a deadset ear-biting grub before rebranding himself as an eloquent pundit) which has seemingly instilled a culture in which we can gow our own f-wits (like Sailor & Amone, to name just two) with players forming a queue at the door to get out and slagging off the club and its supporters.
Ultimately the board, owners and CEO are responsible for this culture which really smells. In fact, it smells of Newtown.

oh well, there goes Scott Sorenson. But keep on stuffing around with the coaching announcements until noone is left to sign! Idiots.
I'd wait until I hear that from a more reliable source than zerocreditibility.com - the place where sports journalism went to die.
We all know he's not coming to Saints, anyway. He doesn't meet the criteria : he's not old enough, he's not lazy enough, he has an IQ higher than a potato and he doesn't hav a rap sheet as long as your arm.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Just trying to get my head around the interview process for the new Coach that supposedly going to lead us to the Promised Land.
Two of the guys heading the interviews CEO Ryan Webb and Head of Everything Ben Haran , are likely to be moved on as part of the clean out process.
Any decent coach worth his salt are going to want to bring virtually his own hand picked staff , as its his arse on the line first of all.
That is unless any incumbent Coach guarantees them to retain said positions in new line up....
Got it....I'll see myself out.........................

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I'd wait until I hear that from a more reliable source than zerocreditibility.com - the place where sports journalism went to die.
We all know he's not coming to Saints, anyway. He doesn't meet the criteria : he's not old enough, he's not lazy enough, he has an IQ higher than a potato and he doesn't hav a rap sheet as long as your arm.
Maybe so NOTB, but the Dragons didn't even get a chance to get into the conversation, and the June 30th deadline is rapidly approaching for the last spot or 2.

Maybe so NOTB, but the Dragons didn't even get a chance to get into the conversation, and the June 30th deadline is rapidly approaching for the last spot or 2.
If we sat on our hands when Hynes was looking for a new club we're hardly likely to break out of the coma to negotiate with Sorensen.
This club is flying blind - I'm starting to wonder whether the board has money on us getting the spoon.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Just trying to get my head around the interview process for the new Coach that supposedly going to lead us to the Promised Land.
Two of the guys heading the interviews CEO Ryan Webb and Head of Everything Ben Haran , are likely to be moved on as part of the clean out process.
Any decent coach worth his salt are going to want to bring virtually his own hand picked staff , as its his arse on the line first of all.
That is unless any incumbent Coach guarantees them to retain said positions in new line up....
Got it....I'll see myself out.........................
I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about Webb so what makes you think he is likely to be moved on? He hasn't been here that long, but based on the members information session he's turned the finances around and has plans to move the club forward. Plus the Board needs a front man, and he seems to be a good front man. It's harder to make a case for keeping Haran but I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about him either.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about Webb so what makes you think he is likely to be moved on? He hasn't been here that long, but based on the members information session he's turned the finances around and has plans to move the club forward. Plus the Board needs a front man, and he seems to be a good front man. It's harder to make a case for keeping Haran but I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about him either.
Whose our recruitment manager ?
Isnt Haran the one primarily responsible for signing all the nomads here over the past 6 or 7 years?
Always has his name on the pressor
Re Webb
And agree app very good in Corporate and sponsorship etc
just possibly , maybe be better concentrating on that side of Club Business
just saying..............
Did i hear Tigers Warren Mc Donald got punted ?
Interesting...

denis preston

First Grade

According to rosters fans he is on the downward slide .

Dragon David

First Grade
If we sat on our hands when Hynes was looking for a new club we're hardly likely to break out of the coma to negotiate with Sorensen.
This club is flying blind - I'm starting to wonder whether the board has money on us getting the spoon.
Scott Sorensen has re-signed with the Panthers -