What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

dannyt

Coach
This club has failed to identify true rugby league talent over several years. They have mismanaged the salary cap and as a result can only afford to pay for average players at the expense of going all out to get the best players for the club.

It is so obvious that the whole recruitment and retention system at the Dragons has been f..cked for sometime. When the club only secures has beens and rejects and not any true top of the shelf talent, the outcomes are as we have seen for years.

Identifying the right players is the real key. You take the Roosters for instance and one case in particular is the snaring of superstar young gun Joseph Suaalii from South Sydney. Here he was just a kid who played union for the Kings School, transitioned into the juniors at Souths leagues and because Souths had Mitchell as their fullback didn't "fight" to keep Suaalii as they didn't think beyond putting him elsewhere in the squad other than at fullback (one massive big mistake). In comes the Roosters who identified that the kid had so much talent and knew that they had Tedesco but they had the wisdom of putting him in the wing position (with of course one of the best wingers helping him in the name of Brett Morris) and one day will be their fullback when Teddy hangs up his boots - the kid is only 19 so has plenty of time up his sleeve and he is worth a fortune now. Rugby Australia are rumoured to be dangling big money to get him over, but Trent and Uncle Nic know that they have to hold onto him as he is a top shelf talent.

In conclusion therefore, for the Dragons to become a stronger club insofar as getting more winning results in the league games, they have to clear the decks and go out scouting and getting the "best" and not the cheapest players on the market. It will take time and plenty of adjustments, but they need to follow the lead of say the Bulldogs for example.
The roosters can identify talent, but I can tell you that souths identified Suaalli a while ago as a talent. They were not happy at all when he went to the rorters.

denis preston

First Grade
More buys from the bargain bin

the circle of mediocrity continues if true.
Sua wants out now ?Unrest in the dressing room , raised Hunts offer , only rumours that we are after reserve graders ? FFS this is the time the Board & CEO must act NOW ! Can only hope a shitload of activity behind the scenes in shoring up a new coach and a couple of key signings that cant be revealed as yet ?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Sua wants out now ?Unrest in the dressing room , raised Hunts offer , only rumours that we are after reserve graders ? FFS this is the time the Board & CEO must act NOW ! Can only hope a shitload of activity behind the scenes in shoring up a new coach and a couple of key signings that cant be revealed as yet ?
Jeez, I hope you are right DP!

Old Timer

Coach
Dragons Recruitment 101.

We have the recruits we have because we don't have the recruits we don't have.

Therefore if you don't have what you don't have you have to have what you do have.

Otherwise you neither have what you don't have nor would you have what you did have.

Really simple when you look at logically.

There is division between the two factions and areas, sad to say. I see a concerted effort by our Front Office to not buy or if we have them discard St George juniors. Two recent players Dufty and Leilua are two that come to mind, Yet take a squiz at the South Coast juniors on our 30 player roster and among our best young juniors. Betting the ratio is 70/30% in South Coast juniors favor. We may now be one club but the St George side of this merger, which I have never gotten used to, is slowly dying. This is despite the St George JRL humming along year after year and producing good players. I have been a Dragon diehard for more than half a century so have seem plenty of up and down periods.. the era post 2010 has been one of our worst. And unlike some others I dont see any lite at end of tunnel until at least 2025.

Last edited:
I’m really struggling to find a position for Sloan in the team if Ramsey continues to evolve.
Bloody shame. His best position is fullback but our coaching staff seem to think that Ramsay is the man. Dont get me wrong I think Ramsay has a big future but in the three quarters where he can use his blistering pace. Sloan has one major asset over Ramsay.. ball skills. He has not had much chance to show them at top level but he does in Ressies. Two weeks ago he almost single handedly won the match with three try assists and two four pointers of his own. He has exceptional pace, almost glides across the turf, silky footwork, his biggest asset imo is his vision. You dont teach that . If only we could find him a position as his skills are wasted sitting out on the wing waiting for the ball.

Dragon David

First Grade
So Turpin & Liddell for 2023 supposedly.
Fits our criteria perfectly, unwanted rejects from current club and one a Queenslander.
It’s really becoming hard to support this brain dead of a club I once loved with such great heart.
It is comical isn't it? We have an older hooker that Hook wanted and is now not. We have Hunt who has been a hooker in the SOO for a few years who most here suggest that he be our #9 and put Sullivan in at #7. We now have the rumour (although this isn't the thread for it) that we are going after both Turpin and Liddle and we were also looking at getting Robson back from the Cowboys.

Does the club know what they really want and do they know which is the best option? Please Dragons club, don't just get anyone, get the best. We won't achieve anything if we don't.

Dragon David

First Grade
Bloody shame. His best position is fullback but our coaching staff seem to think that Ramsay is the man. Dont get me wrong I think Ramsay has a big future but in the three quarters where he can use his blistering pace. Sloan has one major asset over Ramsay.. ball skills. He has not had much chance to show them at top level but he does in Ressies. Two weeks ago he almost single handedly won the match with three try assists and two four pointers of his own. He has exceptional pace, almost glides across the turf, silky footwork, his biggest asset imo is his vision. You dont teach that . If only we could find him a position as his skills are wasted sitting out on the wing waiting for the ball.
100%.

getsmarty

Immortal
So Turpin & Liddell for 2023 supposedly.
Fits our criteria perfectly, unwanted rejects from current club and one a Queenslander.
It’s really becoming hard to support this brain dead of a club I once loved with such great heart.

Agree...have lost interest...barely watch the NRL anymore...our club shows little ambition in terms of wanting to succeed.
The NRL powerbrokers have their own favourites and that is shown by the poor refereeing and the obvious agendas re suspensions etc...

Who is happy to watch the same 4 teams run up 50 + scorelines... absolute joke and yet the same teams always have money to strengthen their side even further...

Just make it a 6 team comp..and put everyone out of their misery....

AFL runs a much better system ...

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree...have lost interest...barely watch the NRL anymore...our club shows little ambition in terms of wanting to succeed.
The NRL powerbrokers have their own favourites and that is shown by the poor refereeing and the obvious agendas re suspensions etc...

Who is happy to watch the same 4 teams run up 50 + scorelines... absolute joke and yet the same teams always have money to strengthen their side even further...

Just make it a 6 team comp..and put everyone out of their misery....

AFL runs a much better system ...
I couldn't agree more getsmarty. It's alright for these top clubs being up there each year if you followed them but seeing that we don't, it is downright terrible that that is the case and when the Dolphins come into the NRL next year, the lack or reduction of good players for the also run clubs will be felt and us being one of those clubs no doubt.

Usually at this time of previous years, we looked forward to the next season. This year I'm not, as there is just no good news coming out of the club.

I would think that an 8 team competition would suit the fans of the top clubs, while the other 9 teams might have to bide their time in a second tier competition.

getsmarty

Immortal
I couldn't agree more getsmarty. It's alright for these top clubs being up there each year if you followed them but seeing that we don't, it is downright terrible that that is the case and when the Dolphins come into the NRL next year, the lack or reduction of good players for the also run clubs will be felt and us being one of those clubs no doubt.

Usually at this time of previous years, we looked forward to the next season. This year I'm not, as there is just no good news coming out of the club.

I would think that an 8 team competition would suit the fans of the top clubs, while the other 9 teams might have to bide their time in a second tier competition.

Well said... unfortunately the Board at our club are responsible as are the NRL...

Fans are turning off... unless as you correctly stated you are a supporter of one of the top 6 teams...

If that is what the NRL want, then so be it... Have better things to do with my time.

P.S I forgot to add we all watch the game as a pleasant diversion from the stresses of life...
I don't expect our team to win every year, but one would hope that we are competitive and that we are also seemingly given a fair go at the Judiciary etc...which is debatable...

Presently, I don't enjoy watching FULLSTOP... I watched a few of those floggings...well at least the 1st 20 mins and turned it off...

Even last weekends game was on in the background...almost a distraction...

In reality, the NRL adds little positive to my life ( this forum excluded ), so why bother ?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Well said... unfortunately the Board at our club are responsible as are the NRL...

Fans are turning off... unless as you correctly stated you are a supporter of one of the top 6 teams...

If that is what the NRL want, then so be it... Have better things to do with my time.

P.S I forgot to add we all watch the game as a pleasant diversion from the stresses of life...
I don't expect our team to win every year, but one would hope that we a competitive and that we are also seemingly given a fair go at the Judiciary etc...which is debatable...

Presently, I don't enjoy watching FULLSTOP... I watched a few of those floggings...well at least the 1st 20 mins and turned it off...

Even last weekends game was on in the background...almost a distraction...

In reality, the NRL adds little positive to my life ( this forum excluded ), so why bother ?
It is a sad indictment of the times getsmarty. Having no success in the past 12 years, following this club has made following league less exciting all round.

The merger of the clubs as a joint venture has not really been good. Similarly as it is with the Tigers.

As you say, there are better things that you can do with your precious time than going to see/watching us play nowadays.

It is good that we have the forum to "voice" our concerns.

getsmarty

Immortal
It is a sad indictment of the times getsmarty. Having no success in the past 12 years, following this club has made following league less exciting all round.

The merger of the clubs as a joint venture has not really been good. Similarly as it is with the Tigers.

As you say, there are better things that you can do with your precious time than going to see/watching us play nowadays.

It is good that we have the forum to "voice" our concerns.

Agree, although personally voicing our concerns just puts it out in the public forum.

More than likely nothing will change... and the NRL will lose supporters who have been watching for decades...

Latest posts