What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

St Tangles

Bench

Maddragon99

Juniors
Bloody shame. His best position is fullback but our coaching staff seem to think that Ramsay is the man. Dont get me wrong I think Ramsay has a big future but in the three quarters where he can use his blistering pace. Sloan has one major asset over Ramsay.. ball skills. He has not had much chance to show them at top level but he does in Ressies. Two weeks ago he almost single handedly won the match with three try assists and two four pointers of his own. He has exceptional pace, almost glides across the turf, silky footwork, his biggest asset imo is his vision. You dont teach that . If only we could find him a position as his skills are wasted sitting out on the wing waiting for the ball.
Until Sloan can prove he’s reliable under the high ball Ramsey will be our fullback.

Sorry to say but the high ball is a real mental block for Sloan, if a fullback or winger can’t catch a bomb then he’s not a first grader. Simple as that.

blacksafake

First Grade
Well said... unfortunately the Board at our club are responsible as are the NRL...

Fans are turning off... unless as you correctly stated you are a supporter of one of the top 6 teams...

If that is what the NRL want, then so be it... Have better things to do with my time.

P.S I forgot to add we all watch the game as a pleasant diversion from the stresses of life...
I don't expect our team to win every year, but one would hope that we a competitive and that we are also seemingly given a fair go at the Judiciary etc...which is debatable...

Presently, I don't enjoy watching FULLSTOP... I watched a few of those floggings...well at least the 1st 20 mins and turned it off...

Even last weekends game was on in the background...almost a distraction...

In reality, the NRL adds little positive to my life ( this forum excluded ), so why bother ?
I understand where you’re coming from @getsmarty & it’s disappointing to read comments like yours & other supporters on here with seemingly little hope for us ahead.

I never attended a single game this season such is my disappointment with the club & the way games are “managed” by officials but still watch with much less enthusiasm which has been good for my blood pressure & heart 😁
It’s a long bow but hopefully next season finds us in a far better place ✌🏻

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Until Sloan can prove he’s reliable under the high ball Ramsey will be our fullback.

Sorry to say but the high ball is a real mental block for Sloan, if a fullback or winger can’t catch a bomb then he’s not a first grader. Simple as that.
Agree
He had an opportunity to catch an attacking bomb from Hunt last week with a good try scoring chance but just stood there & let it bounce & the Tigers came up with it.

BLM01

First Grade
Bloody shame. His best position is fullback but our coaching staff seem to think that Ramsay is the man. Dont get me wrong I think Ramsay has a big future but in the three quarters where he can use his blistering pace. Sloan has one major asset over Ramsay.. ball skills. He has not had much chance to show them at top level but he does in Ressies. Two weeks ago he almost single handedly won the match with three try assists and two four pointers of his own. He has exceptional pace, almost glides across the turf, silky footwork, his biggest asset imo is his vision. You dont teach that . If only we could find him a position as his skills are wasted sitting out on the wing waiting for the ball.
What about Sloans current deficiencies in playing fullback where Ramsay shows strengths
I saw a great inside almost flick pass from Ramsay in the 3rd try against the Titans and he too has good pace.
His ball skills are not that bad and Yes Sloan glides across field and can do better passes right to left but Ramsay deserves his spot after given a chance.
Sloan needs to win it back off him..starts by setting the game alight from the wing
Just have a look how Cobbo and Suaali are going and they both want to be fullbacks

Crush

Coach

Yeah it’s kinda like Moga, if a winger can’t catch a ball in the clear and make it to the try-line then he ain’t a first grade winger.
Or like McCulloch, if a dummy half can’t be creative and get the opposition running backwards, then he ain’t a first grade hooker.
Or like Woods or Lawrie, if a prop can’t put a bit of fear into the opposition, make his tackles, be disciplined, play the ball quickly, get the team going forwards, then he ain’t much of a first grader.
Or like Hook, if a coach can’t devise a game plan, hold players accountable for their performances (not just the inexperienced ones) and create a professional, disciplined football side, then he ain’t really a first grade coach.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yeah it’s kinda like Moga, if a winger can’t catch a ball in the clear and make it to the try-line then he ain’t a first grade winger.
Or like McCulloch, if a dummy half can’t be creative and get the opposition running backwards, then he ain’t a first grade hooker.
Or like Woods or Lawrie, if a prop can’t put a bit of fear into the opposition, make his tackles, be disciplined, play the ball quickly, get the team going forwards, then he ain’t much of a first grader.
Or like Hook, if a coach can’t devise a game plan, hold players accountable for their performances (not just the inexperienced ones) and create a professional, disciplined football side, then he ain’t really a first grade coach.
I read earlier today Sharon Woods has taken up his opinion for 2023 🙄

Maddragon99

Juniors
What about Sloans current deficiencies in playing fullback where Ramsay shows strengths
I saw a great inside almost flick pass from Ramsay in the 3rd try against the Titans and he too has good pace.
His ball skills are not that bad and Yes Sloan glides across field and can do better passes right to left but Ramsay deserves his spot after given a chance.
Sloan needs to win it back off him..starts by setting the game alight from the wing
Just have a look how Cobbo and Suaali are going and they both want to be fullbacks
Sloan needs to baulk up in the off season & put in the time catching 1000 bombs & go for a wing spot in 2023.

At this stage Ramsey is way above him in terms of playing fullback.

I hope Sloan takes the the time to reflect & work on his deficiencies rather than get the sulks.

getsmarty

Immortal
I understand where you’re coming from @getsmarty & it’s disappointing to read comments like yours & other supporters on here with seemingly little hope for us ahead.

I never attended a single game this season such is my disappointment with the club & the way games are “managed” by officials but still watch with much less enthusiasm which has been good for my blood pressure & heart 😁
It’s a long bow but hopefully next season finds us in a far better place ✌🏻

Always respect your input... The whole place needs a broom put through it...unfortunately we had the opportunity with the current Sydney kings owner who is a saints supporter....but the board decided to go with the Gordon's...

For mine that was almost the last nail in the coffin... Webb was a positive appointment..I had hopes with the current coach, but that has come a cropper...

Can things change...sure..will they..highly unlikely...

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Well thats one bright spot for us supporters (NOT) Sharon will no doubt become captain of the KOE team as he offers absolutely nothing to a first grade team . Only 29 spots to fill for season 23 now
The sad thing is we are so thin in the front row Sharon will get plenty of game time in 2023.

Real shame the George Burgess experiment was such a fail, I had high hopes for him. 😢

thebigredv

First Grade
The sad thing is we are so thin in the front row Sharon will get plenty of game time in 2023.

Real shame the George Burgess experiment was such a fail, I had high hopes for him. 😢
Any team that can find a place in the team for Aaron Woods or McCullough in 2022, let alone 2023, has given up competing plain and simple.

It's embarrassing to watch and I was bemused by the number of supporters who condoned the coach's recruitment of such players at the time. Completely changed their tune now.

Doomed from the start. Don't care what the cap looked like. He could have tried harder to have us competitive.

possm

Coach
Like Dufty, Sloan's skills in defense and when taking the high ball lwt him down when comes to selection for NRL fullback. I have always thought that while we have Hunt at 7, Sloan would be a good fit at 6 and maybe even improve his defensive skills while playing at 6.

So if Amone is too light for the lock position, maybe he could fit well at center while Ben Hunt is in the halfback. In this case, I'd move Bird to the left-center position. That is not to say that Sloan is learning a great deal during his stint in the right-wing position.

possm

Coach
Sloan needs to baulk up in the off season & put in the time catching 1000 bombs & go for a wing spot in 2023.

At this stage Ramsey is way above him in terms of playing fullback.

I hope Sloan takes the the time to reflect & work on his deficiencies rather than get the sulks.
There is another young gun coming through (Treigh Stewart) who may just end up being our long-term fullback. He can play anywhere in the back 5 and possibly at 6.