What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

matPORTS

Juniors
Read into the Sloan situation however you wish...

But reading between the lines - Craig Young doing the communication between Sloan and The Board, rejecting the release clause and providing reassurance of "wait 12 months". Sloan supposedly not happy with the coach hence his request for the release?

Craig Youngs' agenda - I'm sure him and his mates who sit on the same side of the boardroom table are cheering the Cowboys on, as justification to get their man Dean in the head coaching role.

In summary - the "wait 12 months" ultimatum clearly states the boards lack of confidence in Griffin. Why wait 12 months and not just make the change now?

Dragsters

First Grade

But reading between the lines - Craig Young doing the communication between Sloan and The Board, rejecting the release clause and providing reassurance of "wait 12 months". Sloan supposedly not happy with the coach hence his request for the release?

Craig Youngs' agenda - I'm sure him and his mates who sit on the same side of the boardroom table are cheering the Cowboys on, as justification to get their man Dean in the head coaching role.

In summary - the "wait 12 months" ultimatum clearly states the boards lack of confidence in Griffin. Why wait 12 months and not just make the change now?

Indeed.

I'm not sure a rookie coach in Dean Young is the answer but I'm pretty certain Griffin isn't...

Dragon David

First Grade
Latest Hunt saga snippet. He is hanging out for a bigger offer from FO, that has dug in its heels prompting fresh overtures from outside suitors. Hunt's ego and greed is as big as he is.
I want the Dragons to dig their heels in and not budge with any increase in their offer to Hunt. If Hunt wants more then he should go to the open market and see what other club would pay him what he wants - zero is what I think. If he cannot reach agreement then he just plays one more year with us and then Sullivan can take his place - simple. Hook and Hunt - only 12 months to go!

Last edited:
If Hunt wants more then he should go to the open market and see what other club would pay him what he wants
Agree. 33 next year.. nearing career end. Betting maybe Bennett will be one to gazump our original bid of $700K, but by not by a great deal more. I think the old master will view Hunt more as a mentor for an emerging half.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Agree. 33 next year.. nearing career end. Betting maybe Bennett will be one to gazump our original bid of $700K, but betting not by a great deal more. I think the old master will view Hunt more as a mentor for an emerging half.
I'm pretty sure we'll re-sign hunt on around 800k. I think you may have misunderstood the Dragons have "dug their heels in" part of an article as I read the same one. That was in reference to tyrell sloan's request to leave. In my eyes, Hunt is only demanding what he is worth and 800k is fine by me.

Old Timer

Coach

Because everyone is jumping to the conclusion it's all about Albert securing a situation where Dean is coach.

There might be a change of coach but it may well not be Dean.

The change of coach could well be anytime next year.

What if the scenario about waiting 12 months is actually because some in the playing roster will not be extended and therefore positions in 1st grade will become available and changes will be made accordingly so just keep your head down and do your best to secure one of those positions?

Gareth67

First Grade
Season 2023 will see the man on the final year of his contract of $1.2 mill. So it’s not as if he is going to Coles every week to do his weekly shopping .

So if the reports are correct the Dragons have offered him $ 800k for seasons 24 & 25 . That is a bloody good deal of money tied up for the next 3 seasons . We know that our juniors must be given their opportunity in the top grade otherwise we will lose them .

Therefore , as solid a player as Hunt is , if he decides that the amount offered is not sufficient then the Dragons should show some balls and give him 24 hrs to think it through and if the amount is not acceptable to him then end the negotiations .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
You would think that any interest for hunt would have to include his 23 season ? What we could do with the million !
The issue is anyone wanting him for 24 and looking to try and get him in 23 would want us to stump up a pretty big slice of the 23 salary.

I wonder if we decide not to resign Hunt if we could keep him for part of 23 and depending on how that progresses look to off-load him mid season to his new club.

This could potentially work if his new club was in the hunt (excuse the pun) for the top 8.

Mjab

Juniors
‘JUST WAIT TWELVE MONTHS’

It’s interesting St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young has taken a much greater hands on role in the space of recruitment and retention for the Dragons.

Young has become heavily involved around the Red V negotiations with captain Ben Hunt and out-of-favour fullback Tyrell Sloan in the last fortnight.

Both players have held meetings with the retired champion forward who is now seen as the figurehead of the Dragons in a bid to resolve their futures.

Sloan certainly hasn’t held back about his opinion on being left out of the NRL side in meetings with Young and also coach Anthony Griffin.

St George Illawarra remain adamant they won’t be releasing Sloan and have asked the local junior to be patient in terms of his development as a player.

We’ve been told the Dragons told Sloan: “Just wait 12 months”.

Read into that what you will but it’s no secret coach Griffin needs a fast start to next season to ensure his own job security.

Sloan is signed with the Dragons until the end of 2025 and has strong support at the Red V as being a huge part of the future of the club.

The St George Illawarra extension for Hunt appears to be on target with the only hitch being whether they include a clause in the contract surrounding Dragons coach Anthony Griffin.

The question has been asked from the Hunt camp but it’s unlikely St George Illawarra will want to go down that road.

Hunt is Griffin’s staunchest ally and it’s all tracking towards the Dragons halfback signing a two-year extension with St George Illawarra for 2024 and 2025.

By that stage Hunt will be turning 35 in March in the final year of the deal.

In fairness, given Hunt’s level of professionalism there’s no reason the champion halfback couldn’t kick on even longer.

The move to get Young more hands on is a smart play from the Dragons.

The champion prop bleeds red and white after winning premierships with the Dragons in 1977 and 1979 and will always put the best interests of the club first.
Absolute disaster if fat Albert is involved
didn’t have a role like this a few years ago and make an utter arse of it

Mojo

Bench
Because everyone is jumping to the conclusion it's all about Albert securing a situation where Dean is coach.

There might be a change of coach but it may well not be Dean.

The change of coach could well be anytime next year.

What if the scenario about waiting 12 months is actually because some in the playing roster will not be extended and therefore positions in 1st grade will become available and changes will be made accordingly so just keep your head down and do your best to secure one of those positions?
Could also be as simple as: we know you're a major talent, you've got a big future with the club, we reckon you'll hit your straps in 1st grade this year.

Parko1310

Juniors
If our offer is 850 and hunt wants 950 then I'd say to him you won't get 950k anywhere else bar maybe the titans and dolphins. Neither of those sides are in with a shot to win it by the end of 2025, and we believe we are with the recruitment strategy we have in place. We consider you part of our future, but we can't put our plan into action if you're on 950k. So the final offer is 850 take it or leave it. It's then up for hunt to decide does he want a premiership before he calls time on his career, or is an extra 200k by the end of his career more important. Put the ball in his court.

Mjab

Juniors
If our offer is 850 and hunt wants 950 then I'd say to him you won't get 950k anywhere else bar maybe the titans and dolphins. Neither of those sides are in with a shot to win it by the end of 2025, and we believe we are with the recruitment strategy we have in place. We consider you part of our future, but we can't put our plan into action if you're on 950k. So the final offer is 850 take it or leave it. It's then up for hunt to decide does he want a premiership before he calls time on his career, or is an extra 200k by the end of his career more important. Put the ball in his court.

I doubt we are a premiership contender for at least 5-10 years TBH
we are going to struggle to get in the 8

TruSaint

Referee
Let him go, the money being talked about is ridiculous. Free up that money for recruitment and find out if Sullivan is going to make it. Hunt is not going to get any better, he will only get older and less effective, he is not a half back to take you to a grand final win.

100%.

Souths let a massive talent and LOCAL junior go. 10 f**king years with the Bunnies.

Hunt plays 9 on a one year deal or he can piss off. Club ahead of egos.

If he's worth 950k, then Cleary's next deal will on par with Ronaldo.

Latest posts