What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Parko1310

Juniors
At the Dragons forum at the Leagues Club earlier this year Ryan Webb admitted that we have an ageing supporter base. Then he said he didn’t know why. He lost me right there & then. No frigging idea. And no desire to really understand why. They don’t know or care!
I'll say it again despite how unpopular it is. This is all the more reason to move everything to Wollongong, including playing all our home games there. The St.George area now has very little interest in rugby league, and moving the team to Wollongong on a permanent basis will give the locals a team they can resonate with more as their fully local team. Kids in the area will grow up to support the Dragons rather than looking elsewhere because the Dragons currently have no real clear identity.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I'll say it again despite how unpopular it is. This is all the more reason to move everything to Wollongong, including playing all our home games there. The St.George area now has very little interest in rugby league, and moving the team to Wollongong on a permanent basis will give the locals a team they can resonate with more as their fully local team. Kids in the area will grow up to support the Dragons rather than looking elsewhere because the Dragons currently have no real clear identity.
No thanks, it can stay split and the kids of Wollongong have a team, cant see another NRL team in Wollongong bar the Dragons, kid support a winning team, it starts and ends with us winning kids get influenced by teams winning thats who they support, unless families brainwash them to support the Dragons..

Parko1310

Juniors
No thanks, it can stay split and the kids of Wollongong have a team, cant see another NRL team in Wollongong bar the Dragons, kid support a winning team, it starts and ends with us winning kids get influenced by teams winning thats who they support, unless families brainwash them to support the Dragons..
Respectfully, can I ask what beneficiary reason, apart from nostalgia and St.George bias, does playing games out of Kogarah provide. No interest in the area, far lower crowd attendance, inability to get stadium upgrades there (and at Wollongong too because we can’t get a better stadium if we’re only going to play 6 games there), no juniors from st.George so young talent would rather play in Wollongong, all staff are being moved to Wollongong when COE is built, so no one will be running the club out of Kogarah and a clear identity as ONE club rather than two are all reasons I can think of to just play out of Wollongong. Everything is moving to Wollongong, and that’s where we’re seemingly heading.

redv13

Bench
Respectfully, can I ask what beneficiary reason, apart from nostalgia and St.George bias, does playing games out of Kogarah provide. No interest in the area, far lower crowd attendance, inability to get stadium upgrades there (and at Wollongong too because we can’t get a better stadium if we’re only going to play 6 games there), no juniors from st.George so young talent would rather play in Wollongong, all staff are being moved to Wollongong when COE is built, so one is running the club out of Kogarah and a clear identity as ONE club rather than two are all reasons I can think of to just play out of Wollongong. Everything is moving to Wollongong, and that’s where we’re seemingly heading.
Yep, you’re right. Things have been slowly moving down there over the last decade and it’s no surprise that we’re going like busted asses over that time period

possm

Coach

For me a good depth prop who is still very young. He is not the prop I have been calling for with the following props at the club ahead of him.
De Belin
Molo
Lawrie
Burgess - If he can return fully fit.

I hope he comes cheap because we really need a first-grade-ready prop to add to the prop rotation.

itsme

Juniors
So, according to Webb, we have 27 signed for 2023 season. I assume the breakdown is:

Backs: 12 + 1
Hunt, Ramsey, Bird, Sullivan, Feagai, Feagai, Ravalawa, Mbye, Suli, Amone, Sloan, Lomax.

unconfirmed re-signing- Moga

Forwards: 12 + 1
Woods, McCullough, Burns, Lawrie, Liddle, Molo f, DeBelin, Hunt J, Sua, Kerr, Molo m, Fuimaono

unconfirmed continuation of contract- Burgess

Total = 26

Unconfirmed signing - Lui-Toso

Total - 27

Unless the unconfirmed aren't coming back, then we don't have much wiggle room with only 3 spots remaining for '23 season.
I think you will find Kerr has been released to the warriors a year early.

possm

Coach
For me, it should go the other way. We need to work very hard to re-establish ourselves in the St George District. Illawarra should be there for part of our pathway system and for our feeder club. Let them wear the scarlet number and be called Illawarra Dragons at the NSW Cup level. Under this, they could play all of their home games at the gong.

Then always wear our traditional red v uniform, home and away, with all but special events and away games to be played at Kogarah. We just need to find a new partner who has influence and deep pockets. Buy and redevelop Jubilee Oval and the Taj. And of course, half of the new Board members would be accountable to Red V members. Wouldn't it be great if such a dream could come true and we finally joined the TBA scheme as a bonus.

Qdf

Juniors
At the Dragons forum at the Leagues Club earlier this year Ryan Webb admitted that we have an ageing supporter base. Then he said he didn’t know why. He lost me right there & then. No frigging idea. And no desire to really understand why. They don’t know or care!
What a dickhead.

Yow

Juniors
It’s not just kids plenty of adults jump ship then when there team starts winning they are back it’s not just our club either

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'd like to go on record here and say that I never used brainwashing to make my daughter a Dragons supporter. Bribery yes, brainwashing no.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yep, you’re right. Things have been slowly moving down there over the last decade and it’s no surprise that we’re going like busted asses over that time period
Well no, that's a lazy argument. The St.George bias is very clear, and fair enough, there's so much passion in the traditional St.George fanbase. But realistically, the football department is being run in two seperate places 1.5 hours from each other and I'd argue that the St.George side running out of Kogarah are actually causing bigger issues than the Illawarra side currently. It is them who cannot accept the one club mentality, and it's hurting us. It will be much better when everyone moves down to wollongong. Until that happens, the club remains divided, so our shit performance has nothing to do with us "slowly moving down [to wollongong]". We won a premiership whilst slowly moving down there, poor performance is unrelated and comes down to division in the ranks.

Everyone can see Wollongong is where the future of this club is, and I guarantee we will move forward and towards success if we were to accept this rather than fight it. Division amongst fans will only longer keep people like Young and Doust on the board as we fight amongst each other. We're one club, who needs to get this board out, and present a united front.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Thank you @Gareth67 .

Unfortunately the club and the way the game is run has got me to a point where I just don't care that much anymore. The club is on a downward spiral....

The game in general is no longer the spectacle it used to be.
What an embarrassing finals series....if that's the product the NRL want to push, they can keep it.
I agree with you Getsmarty, I’m sick and tried of the shit show that is the Dragons football club, it’s not one club it is 2. Paul Smith goes only 50% why not buy the whole club and make it your own like the Kings, that’s what I don’t get, don’t whinge that’s it’s a dumpster fire. If you put your hand up to spend 11.5 mill, why not take it all, I don’t get it. Jeez just buy the Dragons and have Win Corp run Illawarra what’s wrong with that. As always Getsmarty 👍

Lethal25

Juniors
Well no, that's a lazy argument. The St.George bias is very clear, and fair enough, there's so much passion in the traditional St.George fanbase. But realistically, the football department is being run in two seperate places 1.5 hours from each other and I'd argue that the St.George side running out of Kogarah are actually causing bigger issues than the Illawarra side currently. It is them who cannot accept the one club mentality, and it's hurting us. It will be much better when everyone moves down to wollongong. Until that happens, the club remains divided, so our shit performance has nothing to do with us "slowly moving down [to wollongong]". We won a premiership whilst slowly moving down there, poor performance is unrelated and comes down to division in the ranks.

Everyone can see Wollongong is where the future of this club is, and I guarantee we will move forward and towards success if we were to accept this rather than fight it. Division amongst fans will only longer keep people like Young and Doust on the board as we fight amongst each other. We're one club, who needs to get this board out, and present a united front.
So what's changed from all those years ago when Illawarra made the decision to merge because they were not successful?

getsmarty

Immortal
I agree with you Getsmarty, I’m sick and tried of the shit show that is the Dragons football club, it’s not one club it is 2. Paul Smith goes only 50% why not buy the whole club and make it your own like the Kings, that’s what I don’t get, don’t whinge that’s it’s a dumpster fire. If you put your hand up to spend 11.5 mill, why not take it all, I don’t get it. Jeez just buy the Dragons and have Win Corp run Illawarra what’s wrong with that. As always Getsmarty 👍

Thankyou @Ghostrider22 . I think the whole Paul Smith situation is more complex..
Maybe that's why little will change....and we will be discussing the same thing in another 10 years time...

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
When will the new recruits be announced and why the delay ? It is only after the 1st Nov for 2024 contracts isn't it ?
No I think every player is contracted to Oct 31 each year. So maybe ? There are some that don’t want it out until their previous deal finishes.
I don’t know who, or why, or why they are different to the other players that are already announced all over the place.

Latest posts