What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New signing Ikahihifo

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons announced on Wednesday that Sebastine Ikahihifo has agreed to terms on a two-year contract that will see him join the Club from next season until at least the end of 2017.

Ikahihifo, 24, who can play throughout the forward-pack, is presently contracted to the New Zealand Warriors and has played 39 NRL games to date.

The Mangere East junior was part of the Warriors back-to-back National Youth Competition Premiership-winning team (2010-11) as well as a two-time Junior Kiwis representative (2010-11).

“Sebastine is an exciting young forward who boasts attributes including both a powerful running game and is very strong defensively,” said Dragons Director of Recruitment and Retention Peter Mulholland.

“He has been a regular part of the Warriors pack this season and will add valuable depth to the squad next season.”

Ikahihifo will join the Dragons in November.

FlameThrower

Bench
Yeah, I thought his departure was immediate, had even done the traditional raid of the stationary cabinet!!!

Cagey Mac

Bench
He actually only played 9 games with around 30 mins per game
They seem to be picking up depth with low error rates

Lethal25

Juniors
Anyone else feeling a little like we're now overloaded with forwards yet our big issue from the last few years has been scoring points which is traditionally done by the backs........

hazzbeen

Bench
Anyone else feeling a little like we're now overloaded with forwards yet our big issue from the last few years has been scoring points which is traditionally done by the backs........

Lethal I was just thinking the same thing.....Do we have the strike power with the backs we have ? We need a couple of top scoring wingers/centre....

Mr Red

First Grade

yep
they better be offloading enough forwards to compensate for all the new additions... otherwise it has a stench of 2012 about it when they went on a back rower recruiting spree and were short in the halves and backs..

sup42

Juniors
Warriors supporter here.

Seb is a reasonable depth signing. He is one of those players that's a 50/50 gamble.

His strengths are line speed in defense and being tough in the contact. Weaknesses are all about Warrior syndrome.....inconsistent....ball handling issues....generally being prone to making errors.so many of these dudes leave and then go on to thrive in the Australian system.

Worth a punt I recon.

He plays the game fast and with a bit of Polish and influence from more accurate / structured systems.....he could be an explosive bench option at the right club.

The frustrating thing about players with suspect ball security....is you never see the best of them.....and if you do.....they go on to be serious talents.

TruSaint

Referee
Warriors supporter here.

Seb is a reasonable depth signing. He is one of those players that's a 50/50 gamble.

His strengths are line speed in defense and being tough in the contact. Weaknesses are all about Warrior syndrome.....inconsistent....ball handling issues....generally being prone to making errors.so many of these dudes leave and then go on to thrive in the Australian system.

Worth a punt I recon.

He plays the game fast and with a bit of Polish and influence from more accurate / structured systems.....he could be an explosive bench option at the right club.

The frustrating thing about players with suspect ball security....is you never see the best of them.....and if you do.....they go on to be serious talents.

Thx for the heads up mate.

saint.nick

Coach

Forwards help you lay a good platform and build your attacking momentum. Our attacking woes are often an indictment of having no forward punch. The forwards indent the defensive line and create space for the outside backs. Second rowers can give you some great threat out wide. Our forwards didn't really do that enough. We probably do need outside backs (already signed one), but we need forwards too.

FlameThrower

Bench
Lethal I was just thinking the same thing.....Do we have the strike power with the backs we have ? We need a couple of top scoring wingers/centre....

Valid point, I think The Club, has sorted our forwards and 2nd rowers out, but as has been stated before we are at least 1 winger and centre short?

saint.nick

Coach
Valid point, I think The Club, has sorted our forwards and 2nd rowers out, but as has been stated before we are at least 1 winger and centre short?

I think Kurt Mann is a winger we bought. We do need to find an explosive centre.

I really think we can be a threat next year if we do find that centre.

Mr Red

First Grade
I think Kurt Mann is a winger we bought. We do need to find an explosive centre.

Mann was bought to play centre or utility value to cover at fullback.
i dont think Mann will be playing wing as first preference.

IMO we still need a genuine left winger and a triangle player that can come off the bench and play minutes at hooker or play in the halves when needed.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Certainly we need to boos our backs with a serious NRL quality winger/Centre once this is done we will be competitive against most sides.

BennyV

Referee

Mann isnt a winger. He is a fullback or 5/8 who can also play centre quite capably. I assume he will slot into lfet centre and Peter Mata'utia will play left wing.