What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New signing Ikahihifo

The Nick

Bench
The Hodges , Jennings scenario make no sense at all . They were always centres / wingers .

Thompson was always a centre . He came into first grade as a centre . He has played most of his football as a centre. He has only inthe past few years moved to second row . It's nothing like taking a player and playing him in a position he has never played .

WRONG. He was always a second rower. He played all his juniors in the forwards. He didn't move into the centres until he played NRL for the Raiders, and from his own mouth he always wanted to be in the pack. He was always viewed as a stop gap centre.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Well if that is the case i stand corrected . I was told his junior football was at centre and was considered a centre while at Canberra

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Really!? Wow, no shit!? What a garbage post...

Oh is it that simple is it? As I said before, if the positions are so close would you move Justin Hodges or Michael Jennings to 2nd row? Maybe we could have put Frizell to centre? Why not move Ah Mau to hooker and Rein to prop seeing as it's "only one position from where he is playing". See, it's really dumb logic.

Oh really, when has he ever done this? Please post any quote or link where he has "threatened to go back to Canberra." You have literally just made this up on the spot.

Oh and PS - it's easy to call him a sook from behind your computer - I would love for you to say it to his face but I won't hold my breath.

Here's the article linking him to a return to Canberra;

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...eturn-to-canberra-raiders-20140510-zr8se.html

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
WRONG. He was always a second rower. He played all his juniors in the forwards. He didn't move into the centres until he played NRL for the Raiders, and from his own mouth he always wanted to be in the pack. He was always viewed as a stop gap centre.

And look, here's an article from 2006 when he was playing for Austrhalian schoolboys. Clearly says second row/centre. Unless you are Joel Thompson, and your telling me you've never played a game at centre at all while you were a junior, I call bullsh$t your claim that he played all his junior footy exclusively at second row.

http://www.ourfootyteam.com/assrl_tour06_teamList_assrl.php

GC Dragon

Juniors
Chopper that's interesting reading . Guy in Canberra who told me he played a lot of centre in the juniors stands by his comments also that the majority of his NRL games for Canberra was as a centre .

Seems what Chopper has put up gives it some credibility .

The Nick

Bench
And here's another, confirming he was considering going back to Canberra. Of course he wouldn't say it was because price was playing him in the centers at the time, but hey, seems pretty coincidentle.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ejoining-his-former-club-20150319-1m3158.html

The move was going to be for family reasons, nothing ever mentioned of a "threat" to walk out over his position, that's your speculation.

FTR I never said he hadn't played centres, I agreed he played most of his NRL games for the Raiders at centre hence why he was lured to the Dragons to play backrow which is his preferred position.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The move was going to be for family reasons, nothing ever mentioned of a "threat" to walk out over his position, that's your speculation.

FTR I never said he hadn't played centres, I agreed he played most of his NRL games for the Raiders at centre hence why he was lured to the Dragons to play backrow which is his preferred position.

Price was playing him at centre. At the time he was thinking of going back to canberra for family reasons (how far is Canberra from the gong really?). You said yourself he came to the Dragons because he was promised second row. So it's obvious he is willing to change clubs to play second row.

This is basically what I was saying in my original post this morning mate until you went all Spanish inquisition on me. And again I'll say, he would of been a great left centre option this season. Again, next season with Mann, we won't need to even consider him to play centre. So you can rest easy, Thompson won't be playing centre.

BennyV

Referee
Price was playing him at centre. At the time he was thinking of going back to canberra for family reasons (how far is Canberra from the gong really?). You said yourself he came to the Dragons because he was promised second row. So it's obvious he is willing to change clubs to play second row.

This is basically what I was saying in my original post this morning mate until you went all Spanish inquisition on me. And again I'll say, he would of been a great left centre option this season. Again, next season with Mann, we won't need to even consider him to play centre. So you can rest easy, Thompson won't be playing centre.

He was a better left second rower option this season. We were hit harder with injury in the forwards than we were in the backs (including Thommo himself) and Mata'utia did a good job at centre. Biggest problem with our outside backs was lack of structure in most games, not lack of Thommo.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
There was a time this season when a lot of people were lamenting the lack of penetration in our centres/wingers, imo thomo would have been a ideal left centre, better than matatuia.

But your right, injuries hit hard, and tbh, Thomos hammy never really recovered from when he injured it way back in June.

The Reality is that Thommo is a centre of last resort.

He doesn't have the speed or evasiveness to play centre at a high level.

He is not terribly big either so what he has over our current centres is merely more games at first grade level.

Mann,Aiken, Matautia,Duges if required are all better options.

Do we have a Gasnier mKII ? No but then again a Gasnier like player comes along once a generation

Rex Terp

First Grade
Yeah, 5 years ago....

Thompson would be below the last resort centre option for us these days. We would be in all sorts if he was playing there.

Second rower all the way. And hopefully he has some injury free time because - as much as I am a big fan of his - I thought he was just ok for us at times this year. He has the ability to deliver a lot more.

V

Vasilevsky

Yeah, 5 years ago....

Thompson would be below the last resort centre option for us these days. We would be in all sorts if he was playing there.

Second rower all the way. And hopefully he has some injury free time because - as much as I am a big fan of his - I thought he was just ok for us at times this year. He has the ability to deliver a lot more.

It is utter stupidity to move players around who are playing well in their current positions. Dugan will be fullback next year and Thompson will be in the second row.

hazzbeen

Bench
It is utter stupidity to move players around who are playing well in their current positions. Dugan will be fullback next year and Thompson will be in the second row.

Just remember what you has said.( glad you are so confident )

V

Vasilevsky

Just remember what you has said.( glad you are so confident )

I have reason to be confident, don't I? It would take supercoach Price-like genius to move two of the teams shining lights to completely different positions.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Certainly Thompson will play second row no doubt . But wasn't it Mary who moved Dugan to fullback to accommodate Quinlan ?

Would it be worth trying a ball playing fullback like Mann to help our attack ? . Or best to leave Dugan at fullback and put Mann at left centre ?

V

Vasilevsky

Certainly Thompson will play second row no doubt . But wasn't it Mary who moved Dugan to fullback to accommodate Quinlan ?

Would it be worth trying a ball playing fullback like Mann to help our attack ? . Or best to leave Dugan at fullback and put Mann at left centre ?

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but from what I have seen of Mann, he will be a solid NSW Cup fullback, 5/8 or centre. I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be better than Matautai or Aitken and there is no way he will be better than Dugan!

Dugan was an average centre but one of the best fullbacks. I think Mary has learned from that mistake.

Latest posts