What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signing

xperienced Cowboys back rower Micheal Luck has joined the growing list of Queenslanders at the Vodafone Warriors.
The club today announced the 23-year-old Gatton-born Luck will move to Auckland on a three-year deal at the end of the 2005 NRL season.
He’ll join a football department roster that already includes several fellow Queenslanders – captain Steve Price, halfback Nathan Fien, centre Tony Martin, Kiwi-qualified fullback Brent Webb and new utility Grant Rovelli as well as defence co-ordinator Kevin Campion.
The 1.88m-98kg Luck has made 76 NRL appearances, mainly from the bench, since his North Queensland debut in 2001 but has been used only nine times this year, including the Cowboys’ 32-22 round three win over the Vodafone Warriors at Ericsson Stadium in March.
“It’s been a tough year for me. I played the first nine games of the season in first-grade but haven’t played for the top side again since,” he said.
Luck, a second rower with a strong work-rate ethic, says he’s excited about the chance to join up with former Cowboys team-mates Fien and Campion.
“I played with Campo at the Cowboys in 2003 and 2004 as he was coming to the end of his career and I was just starting mine,” he said.
“He was a big help to me and a big influence on my game.
“I also know Nathan and Grant well. Nathan and I played in reserve grade before I made my first-grade debut in 2001 while I had quite a bit to do with Grant before he moved to Sydney.
“So it’s made it easier for me knowing there’ll be some familiar faces around when I come to Auckland.”
Luck said he had no qualms about the shift from Townsville to Auckland.
“I caught up with Nathan when the Warriors played in Townsville a while ago and he was pleased with the move he’d made,” he said.
“I’ve also been to Auckland with the Cowboys quite a few times. I know the city fairly well now and I like it.”
For anyone questioning the spelling of his first name – Micheal rather than the normal Michael – Luck says there’s a good reason.
“Blame my mother for that. She’s the one who spelt it wrong when I was born.”

AliN

Live Update Team
hmm, we're not short of second rowers are we?
And there's plenty running around on Kiwi soil.

Nevertheless he's coming, can't change that.

Iafeta

Referee
Dunno really, he's never really struck me as anything special.

I guess though it adds a bit of depth to the forwards stocks, although I'd prefer help out wide and in the halves really.

Esoj

Juniors
yeah not sure if he is really needed but guess bit of depth in the forwards can't hurt. he proabbly came fairly cheap as well. also feka is leaving and possibly temata evarn and betham are all leaving as well.

Iafeta

Referee
I see though he is a Junior Kangaroo.

So perhaps there's a bit more talent than meets the eye. Just from what I've seen he doesn't strike me as being a top notch player. I guess you need journeymen in your squad.

playdaball

Bench
Kemp has identified Sione as a stand off therefore perhaps we comes in for him or the old rumours - Guttenbiel , Monty , Hame etc.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Another day, another nuffy.

Ah well. And FFS Tony, recognise that Sione is not a 5/8th.

Scorpio30

Bench
"Kemp tonight compared Sione to Freddy and Braith. But with more skills."
Who do you dial to commit someone?

And on M. Luck. What a waste of a signing....and 3 years....Prove me wrong PLEASE!

Id rather a quality centre and dare I say fullback.

Iafeta

Referee
Lego_Man said:
Another day, another nuffy.

Ah well. And FFS Tony, recognise that Sione is not a 5/8th.

Why?

He played a quality game of football there against Newcastle, looked dangerous, should have scored a try - I remember v the Chooks at home he played 5/8th and played top quality footy again.

He's good in many positions.

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
I don't mind Faumuina at standoff at all, although he has no long kicking game, it just means Hohaia will need to get out of dummy-half and share the kicking duties more with Fien. I don't think Hohaia has kicked for something like 3 games in a row when he played at hooker. We have enough depth in the second/back row to cover for Sione in the forwards. Real logjam there, hopefully the likes of Mannering, Lauaki and Fai will get a good chance there.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Luck is a solid signing. Probably was signed in view of being a bench player. Wonder what the new coach will reckon.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The last thing we need is solidity and depth.

We need some good players ffs. Some talent.

btw, I'd rather Faumuina play at lock, but I don't hate the idea of him having an extended run at 5/8th....it might turn out to be a masterstroke. Have you guys watched Anasta this season? All he does is hit it up most of the time, and Faumuina is a more dangerous runner. I don't see much wrong with the comparison.

Lego_Man

First Grade
As i said on the other forums - Sione is succeeding in spite of, not because of, the position he is playing under Kemp.

I still think the best option is J-Ro or someone else at 5/8th. My thoughts are that Kemp has a hidden agenda - he wants to be able to put Betham/other assorted nuffies that he adores in the side, and he can only do so by opening up a slot in the second row. Hence the repositioning of Sione. Despite the signing of Luck, Betham will still probably get a start in every game.

Iafeta

Referee
Aside from the niggle, I wouldn't call Monty a nuffie. If he learnt to show his best traits more - which is undoubtably his ruck defence, instead of his fist work he'd be a core member of the team.

I don't think Luck is a bad signing, but we need players in other positions more and I hope we can get them. Also I don't think that Sione is a bad number 6, but we need him more at lock. I think it's important to have some ball players in your forward pack as well as the backline, and Sione's the only player who really fits that bill for the Warriors these days.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Agreed, but we also need some ball players in the backline. Fien and Hohaia are not ball players. Ropati might be but Kemp won't give him a go.....

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
Agreed, but we also need some ball players in the backline. Fien and Hohaia are not ball players. Ropati might be but Kemp won't give him a go.....

Ropati??? Come on now, TH. That is just ridiculous. The closest thing we have to a ball player in the back line is Toopi, but we all know the story with him. There aren't too many sides in the NRL with a ball player at the back. The best example I can think of is Matt Gidley.

shaneh

Juniors
with chris anderson as coach he could attract quality players AND ball players in #1,6,7,9 then they will be coached on how to play footy, and not how to look like a security guard!!!

Latest posts