What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signings- Take 2

Special K

Coach
The Maloney situation is black and white. If Cronk wants to be a Shark at less then what Maloney can get at the Knights next year then Maloney will be released. If Cronk doesn't want to be a Shark, Maloney will not be given his release and the club will look at working out an upgrade/extension.

Keep in mind Maloney didn't debut until 23/24 and is currently on a deal that is half of what the Knights are offering. He was never a jnr that was signed on big money, he turned up and trialled at Norths then landed a tiny NSW cup deal at Parra, minimum at Storm and the rest was history. At 31, if he wants to get a pay day, I'm happy to see him get it. He won us a comp. He got us over that grand final qualifying hump that we had been stuck at for how many years? He dominated the Cowboys single handily and booked us our spot in the final.

Cronk coming in for a year or two with the view to move him into our coaching staff after would be huge. Cronk has the best mind in league at the moment. Our forwards have 1 year left in them max - why not swing for the fences in 2018, with an unknown cap? Retool in 2019 when the cap is known and we will have cap space with a core of Holmes, Graham, Towsend, Fifita, Brailey and our jnrs who are at the top of the league in 18's and 20's today?

This isn't a bad situation. It is really win/win for everyone. If Maloney is released it is because WE want to do it.

chewsta

First Grade
If it all depends on what Cronk wants to do then does that affect Maloneys mindset towards the club? Especially if he is possibly here for one more year. I can't imagine JM or anyone would be able to play at 100% thinking they are second choice. Especially after all he has done and achieved for the club. Does that explain the drop in club form for JM?

Special K

Coach
If it all depends on what Cronk wants to do then does that affect Maloneys mindset towards the club? Especially if he is possibly here for one more year. I can't imagine JM or anyone would be able to play at 100% thinking they are second choice. Especially after all he has done and achieved for the club. Does that explain the drop in club form for JM?
He will be getting paid. He asked for more money because he made a few comments around being a spokesperson for the RLPA about all the money being thrown around and clubs started calling his management offering double what he is on. Maloney being a jokester said "sure i'd love some more money" then clubs started investigating. The Knights have referenced Jimmys salary in terms of building a team on multiple occasions.

He wants more money and will get it regardless now if that is with us or not that is what the club is trying to work out. We could have told him to stick it and play our your current contract at 50% market rate as we only landed him by offering 3 when the Roosters offered 2.

You don't just get out of a contract. It is a process for Maloney's management(Souths or Newcastle) and the club (and Cronk). In a perfect world he stays but if he can get more elsewhere for his final pay day we won't stand in the way. 100-200k extra per year for 3 years, plus a 50% rise next year(vs say a 25% if he stays) for what we could offer makes a big difference. You don't get upset about that for a 31 year old.

I thought Maloney would stay a month ago but Flanno's comments recently seem to suggest the club is down the track with discussions and waiting on a decision. Everything Flanno says on the topic is "James has a contract", "Cooper will make his decision". It is pretty out there.

sandshark

Bench
If Cronulla allow him to talk to Newcastle, he'll take the offer no doubt. 900k/4years is great security for him and his family plus I don't think he'll get that kind of offer from us.
Let's hope that Flan Jnr is ready or there is another replacement option in the works.

Whispers of Cronk being a chance for Bulldogs, that is one salary cap audit I'd love to see.

Inferno

Coach
Can't see that happen unless Kieran Foran's deal falls through.

They re-signed a few and are losing who aside from Reynolds?

Also signed Woods on big dollars.

No f**king way.

sandshark

Bench

No f**king way.
Who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened though.
They'd need more than Foran and Woods to fix that team though.

No f**king way.

Bulldogs major moves i cant see how they could land Cronk

Gone J.Reynolds, S.Kasiano
Signed F.Brown, K.Foran, A.Woods

On that alone more $$$ being spent then offloaded

resigned A.Elliott would be upgrade as well as A.Tolman & W.Hopate
only major unsigned is M.Lichaa

They would be struggling to get Cronk

Thanks for the input K-Man.
You've made it sound as simple as it is supposed to be. Cheers.
The only thing that shocked me was what Jimmy is on now. I thought he'd be on more for sure. Who the hell is his manager?

MilkShark

First Grade
Thanks for the input K-Man.
You've made it sound as simple as it is supposed to be. Cheers.
The only thing that shocked me was what Jimmy is on now. I thought he'd be on more for sure. Who the hell is his manager?
Don't blame his manager, blame Ben Hunts manager.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
He is currently contracted until the end of 2018. Get it yet dope? We wont be just upgrading, we will be extending. Remember how you said we wont be doing anything because we have magical contract?
Well, he will go or he will be staying for 4. The status quo, wont remain.
No shit Sherlock........we're so privileged on this forum to have someone provide such insights. You da man Reefy.

Latest posts