What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signings- Take 2

If it's my business my main priority is to ensure my business prospers. If I feel as though my business has a lesser chance of succeeding without an important employee (who is contracted for another year)....I keep him . Jimmy with rep bonuses is on 700-800k this year and next....hardly chump change.
Short sighted, mate.

If it's my business my main priority is to ensure my business prospers. If I feel as though my business has a lesser chance of succeeding without an important employee (who is contracted for another year)....I keep him . Jimmy with rep bonuses is on 700-800k this year and next....hardly chump change.
ummm no. Your business doesnt prosper, it suffers. To think any employ would be happy dropping half a million & still put their body on the line for a full season, well, I just cant fathom that backward level of thinking.
But we have a contract they yell from the cliff. Because contracts, make players put their body on the line & every player now contracted everywhere, is so happy & playing, just ace.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Fair enough....we let Jimmy go and get his pot of gold one year early then. It will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside next year when we're running mid-table without a decent five eighth and goal-kicker but at least Jimmy will have a smile on his dial and a spring in his step elsewhere.

coolumsharkie

Referee
ummm no. Your business doesnt prosper, it suffers. To think any employ would be happy dropping half a million & still put their body on the line for a full season, well, I just cant fathom that backward level of thinking.
But we have a contract they yell from the cliff. Because contracts, make players put their body on the line & every player now contracted everywhere, is so happy & playing, just ace.

I don't subscribe to this theory at all. Wherever you play you play to the best of your ability, this is what professional sportsman do. Competitive nature on top of the fact that one shitty season can drop your asking price by quite a lot.

You don't get to play FG by moping around the joint and going through the motions, period.

Last edited:
Fair enough....we let Jimmy go and get his pot of gold one year early then. It will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside next year when we're running mid-table without a decent five eighth and goal-kicker but at least Jimmy will have a smile on his dial and a spring in his step elsewhere.
Incorrect. If Jimmy or anybody Stays & cops a coin hit against their wishes, their performance will decline. It is human nature. What is is certain is that teams only have to be slightly off their game to get plenty of points put on them. So Jimmy stayz, but that extra 5% that he might have done the year before, just wont be there. It is human nature. That is why ALL players suffer form slumps during difficult contract negotiations.

Omnishark2

Juniors
I just dont understand what planet this train of though comes from. IF Maloney gets offered the dolalrs that we wont match or get within a whisker of for the same duration, why would you want to keep a disgruntled employee ? Its just weird.
Let me spell it out for you:

Scenario 1) We upgrade Maloney to $950k now until end 2019, he gets offers of $1M-$1.1M elsewhere but decides after tax it's not worth uprooting to another club, so accepts our upgrade. Jimmy's a happy camper again, and we keep our main gamebreaker & goalkicker.

Scenario 2) We don't upgrade Maloney & he leaves, we sign Cronk for $1M+. We end up with an inferior older player, who's a worse fit for our team (Chad already plays his role) at a higher cost to our salary cap.

Scenario 3) We sign Walker or some other hack for $500k+. There goes any chance of being a contender for the next 2 years+.

So you're saying Scenarios 2 or 3 are better for our club ???
That's what's weird !!!

M2D2

Bench
Scenario 2) We don't upgrade Maloney & he leaves, we sign Cronk for $1M+. We end up with an inferior older player, who's a worse fit for our team (Chad already plays his role) at a higher cost to our salary cap.!
Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

haaha so theres only 3 scenarios? I think your spelling is Bad. Very bad.
All that management will have to remember is this. We sign maloney on as close to 1.2m for 4 years or , we hold him to his last year , more htan likely, missing that entire financial opportunity. Just because its there now, doesnt mean it will be there in 12 months time. Anything can happen.
There is not a shred of doubt that his performances will suffer if the latter takes place. Not 1 doubt.

Maccas4177

Juniors
All that management will have to remember is this. We sign maloney on as close to 1.2m for 4 years or , we hold him to his last year , more htan likely, missing that entire financial opportunity. Just because its there now, doesnt mean it will be there in 12 months time. Anything can happen.
There is not a shred of doubt that his performances will suffer if the latter takes place. Not 1 doubt.

:eek:;)

Omnishark2

Juniors

Classic Reefy - obfuscating as usual.

I'm not disputing if we hold Maloney until the end of 2018 to his existing contract, his performances will suffer.
I'm not saying we should offer Maloney $1.2M, that's too big a hit on our salary cap.
I'm saying upgrade Maloney to $950kish now for 2.5 yrs, and he is likely to accept given the after tax difference & be happy enough - and we get to keep our key playmaker & goalkicker instead of rebuild in 2018.

1.2 x 4 =4.8
950 x 3 = 1.9
4.8 -1.9 = 2.9
Thats in, milions of dollars.
if it was me, given the after tax differences, Id be telling you to get far kurnelled, & id miss every kick until I was released