What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signings- Take 2

chewsta

First Grade
According to 'The Mole' or one of those other inner tubing types (so take it with a grain of salt). We are interested in Cody Walker as a replacement for Maloney. It also mentions Gubb has very little interest from rival NRL clubs and will not be re-signed by the warriors so may head OS. I dont pay much attention to Souths, is Walker any good?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
According to 'The Mole' or one of those other inner tubing types (so take it with a grain of salt). We are interested in Cody Walker as a replacement for Maloney. It also mentions Gubb has very little interest from rival NRL clubs and will not be re-signed by the warriors so may head OS. I dont pay much attention to Souths, is Walker any good?
Walker is another rocks or diamonds type player. On his day he can be brilliant on an off day he can be awful. Maybe in the right side he could become more consistent. Souths would want to sweeten the deal considerably if they want Jimmy.

Craigshark

First Grade
Isn't Walker like 27 or something? Took him ages to crack first grade. Is good every now and then, but pathetic most weeks.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Well if we're silly enough to let Maloney go (without an elite replacement i.e. Cronk), then I guess we'll have to settle for a Walker or Bunji replacement... meh.

Walker is a gun. X factor. Problem is, people remember rocks more than diamonds. If we have to lose Maloney, I'd take Walker without hesitation.

I have no mail at souths, but you get the impression man management is not a forte there. Where's our resident souffs insider?

Omnishark2

Juniors
The point is we don't have to lose Maloney - Flanno just has to stopping stuffing around & slagging him off, and acknowledge his true value to us.

If Maloney goes, we will ending up spending more for a worse replacement (eg Cronk superannuation season), or just end up with a far inferior replacement.

Cody Walker is in the far inferior category - he is very inconsistent & has no track record of leading a team around. Chalk & cheese.

The point is we don't have to lose Maloney - Flanno just has to stopping stuffing around & slagging him off, and acknowledge his true value to us.

If Maloney goes, we will ending up spending more for a worse replacement (eg Cronk superannuation season), or just end up with a far inferior replacement.

Cody Walker is in the far inferior category - he is very inconsistent & has no track record of leading a team around. Chalk & cheese.
I just dont understand what planet this train of though comes from. IF Maloney gets offered the dolalrs that we wont match or get within a whisker of for the same duration, why would you want to keep a disgruntled employee ? Its just weird.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
So effectively you're saying you should let any player break a contract at anytime on a whim. I have no problem with a player being released on compassionate grounds or for personal reasons but to be released because they can't wait another 12 months to sign a bigger contract doesn't sit right with me. Jimmy will still get his big payday from 2019 onwards but why should we significantly reduce our chance of success in '18 because of this.

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
I liken the Maloney situation to that of cricket Australia & the international cricketers.

It will work out in the end.

sandshark

Bench
If Maloney is leaving, I'd take Walker even for a couple of seasons if Flanno Jnr is really the future at the club. Better than having nothing.

Anyone playing at the Souths should have the benefit of the doubt while playing with that forward pack..

So effectively you're saying you should let any player break a contract at anytime on a whim. I have no problem with a player being released on compassionate grounds or for personal reasons but to be released because they can't wait another 12 months to sign a bigger contract doesn't sit right with me. Jimmy will still get his big payday from 2019 onwards but why should we significantly reduce our chance of success in '18 because of this.
I feel like im talking to a council worker, not a business owner.
If its my business, there is not a chance in hell I will hold a guy back from earning double. It is a now win situation.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
If it's my business my main priority is to ensure my business prospers. If I feel as though my business has a lesser chance of succeeding without an important employee (who is contracted for another year)....I keep him . Jimmy with rep bonuses is on 700-800k this year and next....hardly chump change.

Last edited:

Latest posts