What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York pro rugby league team

Teddyboy

First Grade
If North American Gridiron people ever want an international presence, all they need to to is align with the RLIF/RFL/ARLC and incorporate RL under the Gridiron banner ("Gridiron" its already used fairly broadly). It would be a way for them into the olympics, a way into foreign markets, etc.

American Football is absolutely not expansion friendly (for such a famous sport, it is amazing how few people play it outside of North America. I put that down to the difficult, dangerous and prejudicial rules). RL would be the perfect way to get their brands and a for of their sports into new markets with a far more user-friendly form of their sport...
Stranger things have happened but it would be a joy if a much needed new market opened up for Rugby League in both Canada and the U.S.A. and took the sporting world by surprise as I reckon persisting with Rugby League could take off as they might like Rugby Union 7's but if any yank viewers had watched the Saracens v Newcastle Rugby Union game I bet the few who did was turned off by it.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I just can't see how this can work with English teams being obliged to travel across the Atlantic several times a season. Once, maybe twice, but eventually it becomes too much of a toll.

Gee I hope I am wrong though.

AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled for a New York rugby league team to follow Toronto into the English game.

A business plan has been submitted to the Rugby football League and organisers, who say they have the backing of wealthy benefactors and hope to get the go- ahead in time to enter the competition in 2019.

The project has been inspired by the success of Toronto, who achieved promotion from Kingstone Press League 1 at the first attempt and drew crowds of 7,000, but the founders of the New York club hope to get the go-ahead to enter at Championship level, just one step away from Super League.

Co-founder Tom Scott told a media briefing in Leeds that, like Toronto, the New York club would not seek any central funding and have already secured $US10 million ($A12.64m) in investment.

9a510a2a21f2dab2d54471cb9cad97f0

American rugby league is on the rise.
“We have a small consortium of high-networking individuals, one member of which has made New York his home, and all have a significant love for the game,” Scott said. “We will be self-sufficient.” Like Toronto, New York would cover all travel and accommodation costs of visiting teams after securing agreements with a travel company and hotel chain and play in blocks of home and away fixtures.

Organisers say playing in the summer would avoid a direct clash with the NFL and they are confident of building a fan base of 10,000 in the first year, doubling the figure within three years to bring it on a par with the New York Red Bulls soccer team.

The team would be based at a training complex in Warwick, an hour’s drive from New York City, and play at the 25,000-seat Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, a 20-minute train ride from the World Trade Centre.

COACH: Fittler’s rivals for NSW job

MYSTERY: If Cronk comes does Pearce go?

The development comes in the wake of a pledge from Toronto founder Eric Perez to launch a second Canadian club in the next six months and a prediction that there could be up to six North American teams within five years.

The United States will host the 2025 World Cup and the Hawks’ 2017 World Cup captain Mark Offerdahl, who played in New York’s tri-state area for the Connecticut Wildcats, is confident the project can be successful. “There’s lots of potential,” said Offerdahl, who played in the Championship for London Broncos this year. “Rugby union has gone crazy in the last 10 years but they also love rugby league.

“At the time of the last World Cup, the game was fractured in the US but now everyone is working together and new teams are forming every year. There are 13 or 14 now with a lot of ex-college players who pick up the game very easily.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/a29d346f2d7fa60b9f1f1fe2f04aadb0

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The other problem with this is it makes a bit of a mockery of the current USARL competition, placing a glass ceiling on it, such as in NZ and France. I'm not sure whether in the case of the US that would be wise.

jim_57

Staff member
The other problem with this is it makes a bit of a mockery of the current USARL competition, placing a glass ceiling on it, such as in NZ and France. I'm not sure whether in the case of the US that would be wise.

The USARL is an amatuer competition. Nobody is expecting it to rival any pro teams. If anything you could have these teams running their juniors/reserves NA based players in the USARL which would help the profile and player numbers of the comp.

There's three clubs in New York and supposedly one more starting next season, as well as others not too far away. If this clubs gets going it would be great for those clubs, especially if there is movement between the amateur clubs and the pro club.

Coparugby

Juniors
There's three clubs in New York and supposedly one more starting next season, as well as others not too far away. If this clubs gets going it would be great for those clubs, especially if there is movement between the amateur clubs and the pro club.
Exactly. If anyone wants to know where they can play after seeing a match they have readymade clubs just for them.

Golden point

Juniors
Well if you get Hayne involved it would be a pretty smart marketing move by the team.
Doomed? If they got him that would be the biggest win for rugby league. THE BIGGEST. publicity and a genuine reason to watch. Massive. Hayne shits me but if ever did have a chance at redemption and to give something back to the sport this is it.

juro

Bench
New York rugby league team eyes Jarryd Hayne as marquee player
OCTOBER 16 2017 - 3:36PM
  • John Davidson
An aspiring rugby league club in New York has set its sights on NRL superstar Jarryd Hayne as its first marquee signing ahead of a proposed 2019 launch.

The New York City Rugby League consortium is following in the footsteps of the Toronto Wolfpack and has lodged a bid to play in the Rugby Football League's (RFL) professional tier in England.

"Jarryd Hayne would a perfect signing for a team in New York given his background in the NFL, given his love of American sports, given the profile he has in Australia," Wilby said.

"He would be a perfect fit. I've not spoken to Jarryd, but I would love to. It would great to meet with his agent and discuss a way forward."

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy .

Hayne is represented by veteran agent Wayne Beavis.Wilby said the New York bid is backed by an unnamed investor who has promised £4.3 million ($7.2m) in initial funds for the club for the first two years and then more investment if required.

1508128581313.jpg

Plane sailing: Hayne memorably played a season in the NFL with the 49ers in 2015. Photo: AP
All of the visiting teams' flights and accommodation costs from the UK will be covered by the New York club.

The new franchise is looking to play its home games at Red Bull Arena, which hosts Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls and has a capacity of 25,000 spectators.
1508128581313.jpg

Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, seats 25,000 people.
Wilby said the New York club would be based full-time in the American city, unlike the Wolfpack, which is based partly in Yorkshire, and play two games at home and then two games away.

"Toronto being accepted has given the game over here (in the UK) a big shot in the arm," he said. "We looked at their model and there's certain aspects that we could improve.

"We wanted to base our team in New York and give, not only players, but fans an experience. We want to bring rugby league to a massive sports market."

The development comes in the wake of a pledge from Toronto founder Eric Perez to launch a second Canadian club in the next six months and a prediction that there could be up to six North American teams within five years.

The United States will host the 2025 World Cup and the Hawks' 2017 World Cup captain Mark Offerdahl, who played in New York's tri-state area for the Connecticut Wildcats, is confident the project can be successful.

"There's lots of potential," said Offerdahl, who played in the Championship for London Broncos this year. "Rugby union has gone crazy in the last 10 years but they also love rugby league.

"At the time of the last World Cup, the game was fractured in the US but now everyone is working together and new teams are forming every year. There are 13 or 14 now with a lot of ex-college players who pick up the game very easily."

PA
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-to-english-championship-20171016-gz1rhy.html

Pommy

Coach
Doomed? If they got him that would be the biggest win for rugby league. THE BIGGEST. publicity and a genuine reason to watch. Massive. Hayne shits me but if ever did have a chance at redemption and to give something back to the sport this is it.

It was just a joke.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I just can't see how this can work with English teams being obliged to travel across the Atlantic several times a season. Once, maybe twice, but eventually it becomes too much of a toll.

Gee I hope I am wrong though.
I'm guessing if NY and Toronto are ever in the same division (hopefully SuperLeague) teams would travel play in Toronto, play in NY and then come home.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Having 5 or 6 North American pro teams within 5 years really turns North America into a RL area when it comes to the two Rugby codes. I know Union is more established at the moment but if league gives the 'Rugby' players of Canada and the U.S. the professional pathways then we will attract the best rugby talent in North America. This could really shift our game up a few gears on the world stage.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm guessing if NY and Toronto are ever in the same division (hopefully SuperLeague) teams would travel play in Toronto, play in NY and then come home.

Sure.. but for every team added the costs and scheduling logistics basically double, which is huge in a semi pro competition like League 1.
As I've said before, this is a game changing revolution BUT it has to be handled carefully. Imo League One can't handle more than 1 cross-Atlantic team per season. 2 for Championship.
Which to me means if one comes in 2019, I wouldn't introduce another until both previous ones are safe in Championship or SL.

The 2nd concern is that British clubs have to be getting something out of this. I don't think that's too much to ask. If they get nothing but a 8 hr trip and a flogging, resentment against American clubs and the RFL will rise rapidly from the grumbling we're seeing now.
One of the main selling points has been increasing the value of the competitions - as such the RFL should be able to point to specific TV rights and sponsorship value increases as a result of these overseas clubs entering the compeition.
That money should be put right back into the sub-Super League tiers of the game, giving Championship clubs enough annual funding to run full time professional squads and League One a healthy increase to stabilise their bottom lines too.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sure.. but for every team added the costs and scheduling logistics basically double, which is huge in a semi pro competition like League 1.
As I've said before, this is a game changing revolution BUT it has to be handled carefully. Imo League One can't handle more than 1 cross-Atlantic team per season. 2 for Championship.
Which to me means if one comes in 2019, I wouldn't introduce another until both previous ones are safe in Championship or SL.

The 2nd concern is that British clubs have to be getting something out of this. I don't think that's too much to ask. If they get nothing but a 8 hr trip and a flogging, resentment against American clubs and the RFL will rise rapidly from the grumbling we're seeing now.
One of the main selling points has been increasing the value of the competitions - as such the RFL should be able to point to specific TV rights and sponsorship value increases as a result of these overseas clubs entering the compeition.
That money should be put right back into the sub-Super League tiers of the game, giving Championship clubs enough annual funding to run full time professional squads and League One a healthy increase to stabilise their bottom lines too.

Yes, I agree on just about everything there. I would imagine that the RFL are allowing this North American influx (if that's what it turns into) with an eye on TV money. It is the RFL that will sell the rights to SL, Championship and maybe League 1 to North America, not Toronto, NY and whoever else so I think that is what they are after.

As foreign involvement increases from France, North America and elsewhere in Europe SuperLeague and it's lower leagues may have to divorce itself from England and let England have its own divisions back (with the strongest of the English clubs playing in SuperLeage of course). A little like what happens in France now - domestic pyramid with the strogest clubs in the SuperLeague system.

You are 100% right that this needs to be handled carefully and correctly as this will be a major shift in our game.

POPEYE

Coach
Soward wants to be coach but NY says it's interested in moving up quickly. Hayne and Burgess could be just the tip of the iceberg. Who would stop them from throwing boatloads of cash at Bellamy, Cronk and any other top echelon RL identity. The team wouldn't remain in the 2nd tier very long nor would the Yanks be satisfied with making up numbers in ESL . . . the idea is cheeky but nice

Latest posts