What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

flippikat

Bench
Nope

league encourages pi players to play for their nations and the all blacks don’t lol
As far as test footy goes, league didn't have much choice but to let PI players play for their nations.

The alternative was to let NZ & Australia "lock in" all that talent, which would've made international footy basically a 3 horse race between NZ, Australia & England, which would've gotten very stale.

Rugby union is a different landscape at test level - at most times theres been 4-6 countries (out of the 6 Nations & SAANZAR) that are competitive against each other at the top tier, and maybe 3-4 others that fancy their chances if the stars align.. so there's always been little impetus to allow - let alone ENCOURAGE - PI talent to represent their country.

Actually quite the opposite, the motivation has been to snare & stockpile that talent, to get the leap on the rest of that top tier.

Wb1234

Referee
As far as test footy goes, league didn't have much choice but to let PI players play for their nations.

The alternative was to let NZ & Australia "lock in" all that talent, which would've made international footy basically a 3 horse race between NZ, Australia & England, which would've gotten very stale.

Rugby union is a different landscape at test level - at most times theres been 4-6 countries (out of the 6 Nations & SAANZAR) that are competitive against each other at the top tier, and maybe 3-4 others that fancy their chances if the stars align.. so there's always been little impetus to allow - let alone ENCOURAGE - PI talent to represent their country.

Actually quite the opposite, the motivation has been to snare & stockpile that talent, to get the leap on the rest of that top tier.
Nrl encouraged it

tier two players eligible for origin instead of making them pick Australia

Matua

Bench
Nope

league encourages pi players to play for their nations and the all blacks don’t lol
You mean their grandparents and parents nations for the majority of players.

But anyway, nice attempt at goalpost moving. Your statement was literally wrong.

Gobsmacked

Bench

I agree, I can't remember it being " encouraged " the players were their own motivation, they took less money and less chance of winning to represent their heritage country - this is truly patriotic and shows who they really are, their character and heart belongs with those countries- there's nobody more eligible imo.
But I digress because I wanted to make the point that we have an opportunity to make international rl completely equitable.
We have 8 countries currently who are highly competitive, we could have all internationals revenue go into 1 pool where everyone across every nation ( our top 8 ranking countries) are on equal pay per game regardless of country.
JT started it and we should solidify it.

Wb1234

Referee
How did the NRL encourage it?
The NRL encourages players to sit out and get any surgeries done in the off-season LOL
By allowing tier 2 nations players (samoa Tonga cooks png etc) to be eligible for origin selection

you can play origin and also tests for a tier 2 nation

Matua

Bench

Unlike Gob and Wb you're a NZer aren't you? So you'd understand that the majority of the PIs who represent the ABs are representing their country, and you'd also understand NZR doesn't stockpile that talent, as the majority of the Samoan squad and a large number of the Tongan squad are NZers. Furthermore they've created and funded a team specifically for PI players with the majority being available for the national teams, plus they hardly every use the official 2nd team to lock in players - e.g. last years All Blacks XV was not designated an official team so any PI heritage players selected can still play for the PIs.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
19K is a "Tsunami"... righttttttttt

You want me to go back and quote the posts where you said they were in fact a great success? When you label a team of over 70% Japanese a joke, while labeling TWO teams of less than $10 a "success" you are a hypocrite.

Nice deflection. The original post stated that Japan had made huge development strides in the last few years. Referencing the fact that the national team, and comp were previously mostly foreigners, which isn't the case now. That person was correct, you just turned hypocritical. Or do you not think that qualifies as "huge development strides"
Well if you read property, I said the Tsunami is coming... you know... future tense...

Tonga and Samoa in RL have been very successful. RL hasn't been successful to date (in fact haven't really tried) to develop talent from the islands. It is also coming (part of the Tsunami)

Japan RU has also had some success, but the team is a joke and is propped up by foreigners.

flippikat

Bench
The latest article on Stuff (NZ News website) has one reporter wondering if NZ should start a 32-team knockout cup featuring NZ Provincial teams "supplemented by some of the Japanese clubs and Australian clubs".

I assume that knockout cup replaces Super Rugby, as he's also proposing our NPC (National Provincial Championship) become "a proper home-and-away league".

Matua

Bench
The latest article on Stuff (NZ News website) has one reporter wondering if NZ should start a 32-team knockout cup featuring NZ Provincial teams "supplemented by some of the Japanese clubs and Australian clubs".

I assume that knockout cup replaces Super Rugby, as he's also proposing our NPC (National Provincial Championship) become "a proper home-and-away league".

Bro, first you misrepresent PI's representing their own country of NZ and now you're promoting a Reason article as something worthy of anything but use as toilet paper - I'm now not sure that you're not just a combined multi of Gob and Wb. ;)

flippikat

Bench
Bro, first you misrepresent PI's representing their own country of NZ and now you're promoting a Reason article as something worthy of anything but use as toilet paper - I'm now not sure that you're not just a combined multi of Gob and Wb. ;)
Not promoting it, just airing it to show that it's a viewpoint that's floating around.. and I've even seen variations on this raised by fans - not just Mark Reason.

I honestly think retreating back into an NPC based setup would be horribly insular and a BAD move, but the idea is out there.. and in some quarters it seems to appeal.

Matua

Bench
Not promoting it, just airing it to show that it's a viewpoint that's floating around.. and I've even seen variations on this raised by fans - not just Mark Reason.

I honestly think retreating back into an NPC based setup would be horribly insular and a BAD move, but the idea is out there.. and in some quarters it seems to appeal.
I love the NPC, I care about it way more than Super Rugby but agree that it would a bad move to move solely back to it (I believe the 3 tiers is the strength of the game), but I don't think it's being seriously considered. Especially if the troll that is Reason is promoting it.

flippikat

Bench
I love the NPC, I care about it way more than Super Rugby but agree that it would a bad move to move solely back to it (I believe the 3 tiers is the strength of the game), but I don't think it's being seriously considered. Especially if the troll that is Reason is promoting it.
Thing is, it's not just Reason airing it - every time a comments section opens up on the topic, I see some fans pining for the "good old days" of provincial rugby directly below tests.

Latest posts