What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Brian potter

First Grade
Yes . The first 1 hasn't picked a name yet but they put a post on fb that said that it will be announced soon. And the other is the Keys.
Keep in mind that a location hasn't been announced yet, so it the event of that announcement would likely see others added to the list.
I’m sure if the NRL announced team #18 would be NZ2 based in Christchurch then they’ll be some wealthy backer/consortium interested and smart enough to get on board.

Wb1234

Referee
Broadcast rights are getting renewed in '27 need a bid ready now, then a 2 year lead up for players to sign up... its not happening
They can annnounce png and nz2 this year with png coming in 26 or 27 and nz2 after and include that in the tv rights negotiations

like fumblers did with Tasmania

final say

Juniors
Broadcast rights are getting renewed in '27 need a bid ready now, then a 2 year lead up for players to sign up... its not happening
Well firstly, there's 2 bid that are being put together now.
Secondly, both those bids are quoted on being ready for 2026

I don't know where you guys keep coming up with 2 years to sign players??
Please tell me exactly who has signed for a club switch 2 years out??

The Dolphins had 15 months ..

Given that the bids are being put together now.. means an announcement at seasons end, October, awarded November/ December ... leaves 15 to 16 months to put a team on the park- exactly the same as the Dolphins ( overwhelming success!)
And keep in mind that in Super league they get about 5 months once promoted.

I'm not saying in will be in 2026 but there's literally nothing to suggest otherwise at this stage.
We'll know at seasons end.

Wb1234

Referee

Given that the bids are being put together now.. means an announcement at seasons end, October, awarded November/ December ... leaves 15 to 16 months to put a team on the park- exactly the same as the Dolphins ( overwhelming success!)

I'm not saying in will be in 2026 but there's literally nothing to suggest otherwise at this stage.
Titans has 2 plus years to sign players

Dolphins is a bad example

they couldnt find enough good players to spend their full salary cap on

MugaB

Coach

The ARLC has already stated, they were wrong to give the dolphins such a short lead time, and that they won't be doing that for future expansions, makes sense, plus PVL has already stated PNG is next, with 2 more in near future, that could very well be the likes of NZ2, or Perth or N.Bears/E.tigers, or all together (you never know= Perth Bears, South Island Firehawks)
not sure why everyone is crapping on about who should/could/would be 18th. They are the only credible bid far enough into to make that timeline, apart from the N.bears/E.tigers which cannot be accepted due to being in NSW/QLD, they want them away from Sydney/Brisbane, it may happen for the 20th, but not so soon after the Dolphins has entered, and Sydney has already too many clubs

Matua

Bench
To go all Gobsmacked for a moment, I spent the weekend in Auckland - awful weather, great time though as I was catching up with friends plus had a god level doughnut at Daily Bread.

Anyway, I was somewhat surprised the Warriors hype train wasn't as big in the 09 as I expected it to be going by all the Tik Toks/Tweets that Gob and his boy Wb continually post on this thread and the hype in the South Island when Gob was apparently there. The two bars I watched the game at (hotel bar then went to another bar when a friend arrived) both had the rugby on the big screen and the Warriors on the smaller screens.

Anyway, at the god level doughnut place I saw Rocco Berry enjoying a coffee with a Blues player (Cole Forbes), they seemed to be getting on pretty well.

To go all Gobsmacked for a moment, I spent the weekend in Auckland - awful weather, great time though as I was catching up with friends plus had a god level doughnut at Daily Bread.

Anyway, I was somewhat surprised the Warriors hype train wasn't as big in the 09 as I expected it to be going by all the Tik Toks/Tweets that Gob and his boy Wb continually post on this thread and the hype in the South Island when Gob was apparently there. The two bars I watched the game at (hotel bar then went to another bar when a friend arrived) both had the rugby on the big screen and the Warriors on the smaller screens.

Anyway, at the god level doughnut place I saw Rocco Berry enjoying a coffee with a Blues player (Cole Forbes), they seemed to be getting on pretty well.
As a born and bred resident of the 09.... that sounds about right.

final say

Juniors

Thanks mate, that's all the information we'll need. We'll now ignore 7 consecutive sell-outs , record membership, record merchandise sales ,a 37 % rise Television ratings and countless NZ articles highlighting the rapid rise of Rugby league and the Warriors.
After all, you went to 2 bars.

Matua

Bench
Thanks mate, that's all the information we'll need. We'll now ignore 7 consecutive sell-outs , record membership, record merchandise sales ,a 37 % rise Television ratings and countless NZ articles highlighting the rapid rise of Rugby league and the Warriors.
What, going to bars doesn't count now? You've changed your tune from your gobsmacked days of pretending to go to bars in the south island and getting the feels. :p

He only said he was surprised the hype on the ground didn't match what' And as someone who was born, raised and still lives here... his sense is spot on.

There is an explosion of popularity, no doubt and its awesome for anyone who's been on the Wahs rollercoaster for the last 30 years. But its far from the burgeoning takeover some media outlets would want everyone to believe. Far, far from it.

Latest posts