What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep said all along we’d get reserve grade back and likely a national u20’s program. Makes total sense. Both were only cut to save clubs money.

flippikat

Bench
Yep said all along we’d get reserve grade back and likely a national u20’s program. Makes total sense. Both were only cut to save clubs money.
If reserves & under-20s return, it'll be interesting to see how State leagues fit into the equation.

Questions like...

* Should NRL teams be allowed State league teams under their own brand?

* What kind of contract/loan arrangements (if any) would apply to State league players? (Would there be some sort of feeder arrangement?)

* Would a "State Championship" (NSW Cup vs Qld Cup champions) still happen?

* Could we see expansion of State leagues to foster future expansion targets.. or even incorporating club sides from (for instance) Auckland club league into some competition with NSW & Queensland clubs?

Basically, if Reserve Grade is going to be 2nd tier of "open age" club footy - what does the 3rd tier then look like?

Gobsmacked

Bench
If reserves & under-20s return, it'll be interesting to see how State leagues fit into the equation.

Questions like...

* What kind of contract/loan arrangements (if any) would apply to State league players? (Would there be some sort of feeder arrangement?)

* Could we see expansion of State leagues to foster future expansion targets.. or even incorporating club sides from (for instance) Auckland club league into some competition with NSW & Queensland clubs?

Basically, if Reserve Grade is going to be 2nd tier of "open age" club footy - what does the 3rd tier then look like?
I think the current model is perfect, well obviously not perfect but getting there. Q cup is spot on where all the geographical areas outside of NRL which are not big enough for an NRL are represented like Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba ect. NSW cup should have teams in Tamworth, Coffs Harbor, Mudgee ect.. we then need a NZ model to support a second and 3rd team Eventually that Would look like around 3 Auckland teams based in different areas like Q cup, then Hamilton ect for probably a 10 to 12 team comp. 3rd grade is simply a reserve grade for all of those.
In a perfect world of course.

jim_57

Staff member
Jersey Flegg is basically already the NRL under 21s, just without the 4 Queensland teams and with Fiji. Likewise NSW Cup is reserve grade for those same 13 NRL clubs.

Balance is heavily leaning that way already. It will be a shame for Queensland Cup though when it happens, I think it’s inevitable at this point.

Also as per point above it makes Jersey Flegg & NSW Cup basically redundant. Hopefully when it happens NSW Cup can be relaunched with non-NRL branded clubs with more regional clubs like QCup has. Something like:

North Sydney Bears
Newtown Jets
Blacktown Workers
Mounties
Wentworthville Magpies
Western Suburbs Magpies
Windsor Wolves

Wyong Roos
Illawarra Steelers
Newcastle
Canberra-Queanbeyan
Coffs Harbour
Wagga²

Kaiviti Silktails

In an ideal world, I won’t hold my breath though.

jim_57

Staff member

Questions like...

As per my post above for most of this.

Hopefully there is still a place for State Leagues, not everywhere is big enough to have an NRL team so semi-professional RL shouldn’t start and end with NRL clubs.

Queensland Cup has a good mix of City/Regional, while most of the population is in SEQ you also have Bundaberg/Wide Bay Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville & Cairns.

NSW isn’t quite as spread out. Outside of the Newcastle to Wollongong corridor (and Canberra) the biggest city is Coffs Harbour which is 20k smaller than Rockhampton for example. So I doubt you’d be able to get the wide spread of regional clubs like Queensland has.

6-8 Sydney clubs plus clubs in Wollongong, Central Coast, Newcastle-Maitland, Canberra-Queanbeyan and couple regional centres (probably Riverina & North Coast) would still be a good mix.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the current model is perfect, well obviously not perfect but getting there. Q cup is spot on where all the geographical areas outside of NRL which are not big enough for an NRL are represented like Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba ect. NSW cup should have teams in Tamworth, Coffs Harbor, Mudgee ect.. we then need a NZ model to support a second and 3rd team Eventually that Would look like around 3 Auckland teams based in different areas like Q cup, then Hamilton ect for probably a 10 to 12 team comp. 3rd grade is simply a reserve grade for all of those.
In a perfect world of course.
In an ideal world sure. But the reality is that an NZ league would just hamstring any NZ NRL clubs by denying exposure to Australian competition for the players below NRL level- it’s been a problem for the Warriors and the primary reason that they’ve moved to add sides to to lower grades in the last two couple of years. Until NZ coaching and development pathways improve to Australian levels it’s better for the NZ based feeder sides to be playing in NSW competitions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There will still be a place for a reasonable level state based comp, it just wont be a feeder to the NRL in same way. It might need to be a single 2 conference comp unless NSW can muster up some more decent clubs to take part in it. Queensland cup clubs will continue as is just without the NRL reserve grade players in the sides.

Gobsmacked

Bench
There will still be a place for a reasonable level state based comp, it just wont be a feeder to the NRL in same way. It might need to be a single 2 conference comp unless NSW can muster up some more decent clubs to take part in it. Queensland cup clubs will continue as is just without the NRL reserve grade players in the sides.
I really hope we don't end up with a reserve grade. I think originally it was proposed to help have a full game day experience but since then we've had a growing NRLW that will in time mirror NRL and could serve as the perfect curtain raiser for a full game day experience.
The NSW cup and C cup are great and the sprinkle of NRL talent is an essential ingredient in their success.

MugaB

Coach
I really hope we don't end up with a reserve grade. I think originally it was proposed to help have a full game day experience but since then we've had a growing NRLW that will in time mirror NRL and could serve as the perfect curtain raiser for a full game day experience.
The NSW cup and C cup are great and the sprinkle of NRL talent is an essential ingredient in their success.
Personally I'm more of a DD cup man my self, but C cups are fine

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Jersey Flegg is basically already the NRL under 21s, just without the 4 Queensland teams and with Fiji. Likewise NSW Cup is reserve grade for those same 13 NRL clubs.

Balance is heavily leaning that way already. It will be a shame for Queensland Cup though when it happens, I think it’s inevitable at this point.

Also as per point above it makes Jersey Flegg & NSW Cup basically redundant. Hopefully when it happens NSW Cup can be relaunched with non-NRL branded clubs with more regional clubs like QCup has. Something like:

North Sydney Bears
Newtown Jets
Blacktown Workers
Mounties
Wentworthville Magpies
Western Suburbs Magpies
Windsor Wolves

Wyong Roos
Illawarra Steelers
Newcastle
Canberra-Queanbeyan
Coffs Harbour
Wagga²

Kaiviti Silktails

In an ideal world, I won’t hold my breath though.
I'd hate an NRL reserve grade to decimate what is a great state league that we have that actually spans the whole state. It would be terrible for all those regions to be bumped down to 3rd tier at best.

If it does end up happening though, it's possible that Redcliffe could regain use of their name in the NRL as the QRL threats of expulsion from the QLD cup and associated pathways wouldn't be as devastating. Same implications for Ipswich.

If I was the QRL I'd try and foster a more cooperative relationship with the QLD NRL teams to try and entice them to not jump into an NRL reserve grade setup. Letting Redcliffe and Ipswich use their own clubs name is a great start and maybe letting the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys have their own branded QLD Cup teams could convince the QLD NRL clubs not to make a decision that would destroy the QLD Cup as any sort of relevant league.