What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle denies explosive salary cap allegations

Frederick

Staff member
Newcastle denies explosive salary cap allegations

By Dean Ritchie
October 19, 2007 12:00am

THE Newcastle Knights and the NRL were last night forced to defend explosive allegations of salary cap rorting after a detailed email was sent to every club chief executive.

Former Knights financial controller Brad Newton attached an 18-page document listing stunning claims of salary cheating at the club dating back to 2000.

The Daily Telegraph
also obtained a series of emotional emails exchanged between Newton and Knights chairman Peter Corcoran.

But NRL chief David Gallop and the Knights management last night vehemently denied Newton's allegations, which involved players being implicated in salary cap rorting.

Gallop was forced to respond to all 16 clubs with a strongly worded letter of denial.

Corcoran said: "I'm not sure what Brad is on about to be truthful - all the particular incidents have been investigated and solved. It's all been put to bed."

Newton, who left the Knights in 2003, claims he was not comfortable with the club's treatment of the salary cap and that fallout from accusations he made "destroyed his life" and resulted in a mental breakdown.

In the emails, Newton demands a meeting with Corcoran over his claims. The meeting has never taken place.

Newton wrote to Corcoran: "The day I resigned I was a decent, honest hard-working loyal financial controller who witnessed enough poor management, deceptive management, dishonest and corrupt management, tax fraud, embezzlement - you name it - to last me an entire career."

Newton said last night he was driven out of Newcastle by the allegations and wants the club to admit its mistakes to clear his name.

Knights officials said Newton is simply an eccentric and disgruntled former employee.

Asked last night why he was desperate to pursue the allegations, Newton said: "It has sent me around the twist. I want the people who did it, and who denied it, to accept that these things happened and stop burying their heads in the sand. They have to stop hiding behind ignorance."

In Newton's damning document, he claimed "salary cap rorting (in 2002 and 2003) at Newcastle appeared commonplace".

He claimed in 2003 there was "deliberate and calculated salary cap rorting that was prevalent at the club since at least 2000".

"The NRL covered up their tracks by claiming the rorts did not happen," Newton wrote.
Newton also alleged the Knights:

PAID
off Player A's mortgage in 2003, which was outside the salary cap;

PROVIDED
Player B with a company car for two years which "deliberately" avoided the salary cap;

SUPPLIED
Player C with Holden cars between 1999 and 2003 which were not declared in the cap;

WERE
aware former football manager Steve Crowe forged Andrew Johns' signature for memorabilia. Crowe strenuously denies this;

BOARD
elections in 2002 and before were invalid;

MADE
$200,000 in payments to players in late 2001 disguised as grand final bonuses. All 2002 contracts were reduced by about $13,000 a player to get their 2002 player salaries lower; and

ISSUED
a former CEO with a $200,000 tax-free payout when he left the Knights "with many dark secrets".

In an email to Corcoran, Newton wrote he had "lost faith in Newcastle's integrity and effectiveness".

Last night Newton said: "I resigned on principle because I wouldn't compromise my integrity.

"The Knights said there was nothing wrong and dismissed the whole thing. I was the only one being honest - the rest lied and came up smelling like roses.

"The Knights were still doing it after the Bulldogs (were caught rorting in 2002) - they were playing Russian roulette. The NRL gave the Knights preferred treatment."

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston angrily denied Newton's claims.

Burraston said the allegations had previously been investigated and dismissed by the NRL.

"The allegations are totally false," Burraston said. "They were investigated at the time and there was no substance found to them.

"He (Newton) left our organisation and, as I understand, wasn't given a reference. He is very disgruntled."

NRL management was so angry, officials sent an email last night to all clubs saying: "Any suggestion the NRL has failed to act on those investigations, or that it has failed to act consistently or appropriately, is completely false.

"The NRL salary cap auditor (Ian Schubert) had received a number of pieces of correspondence from the employee (Newton) in 2003 and had treated each seriously.

"The issue of grand final bonuses in 2001 was investigated and addressed by the NRL - there was no breach of the rules."
LINK

Frederick

Staff member
NRL chief David Gallop's angry denial

Article from: The Daily Telegraph
October 19, 2007 12:00am

NRL chief executive David Gallop was forced to go into damage control yesterday to deny allegations salary cap auditor Ian Schubert had not acted on alleged salary cap rorting in Newcastle. This is the letter Gallop sent to clubs.

YOU would all be aware of a series of allegations being circulated by a former Newcastle Knights employee via email.

In relation to the areas of that document that relate to the salary cap, the National Rugby League would make the following points:

The NRL Salary Cap Auditor had received a number of pieces of correspondence from the employee in 2003 and had treated each seriously.

On August 6, 2003, the NRL met with the former employee to examine each of his accusations in detail and with access to all club records.

Some of these matters were already under review from the NRL Salary Cap Auditor.

Contrary to the employee's email today, the NRL examined fuel card and other records in relation to the provision of vehicles.

The issue of grand final bonuses in 2001 was investigated and addressed by the NRL - there was no breach of the rules.

During the employee's tenure with the club a number of salary cap audits took place (not all related to his allegations).

Some of these resulted in the club being refused its claims that amounts should be excluded from the cap, some resulted in breaches which were announced by the NRL Board, along with those of other clubs, and others were approved as excluded benefits.

Payments made in relation to a former player after he left the club were discovered by the NRL and fines were imposed prior to the employee having raised any of his post-employment allegations.

The NRL's accompanying press release at that time said the fine was for an undisclosed payment - it did not suggest that it was for a technical breach.

There is nothing in the employee's document in relation to Salary Cap that has not been fully investigated. It is important to note also that in relation to the Salary Cap not all financial officers in clubs are always fully conversant in every aspect of the rules.

This was certainly more so the case several years ago than it is now where Financial Controllers tend to have considerable input into Salary Cap matters.

Any suggestion that the NRL has failed to act on those investigations, or that it has failed to act consistently or appropriately, is completely false.
LINK

TooheysNew

Coach
Exactly. He's just got a bone to pick with the knights, and wants to drag their name through the mud to do it.

AdamT

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
A disgruntled ex employee who wasnt given a reference by the club.....

Yes he was given a reference by Ken Conway - Papers often get things wrong. The reference was given 4 months after he left - so there must be a reason they tried to hush him up. Just like the $200,000 tax free payment to Conway. We ALL know the Knights have been rorting the salary cap since 2000 - who cares - it hasnt won us another grand final since 2001

AdamT

Juniors
CobyDelaney said:
Exactly. He's just got a bone to pick with the knights, and wants to drag their name through the mud to do it.
But why would he bring it up 4 years on? Unless there is substance to it or the Papers wouldnt be able print it

borat

Bench
Wasn't a poster on here from a year or two back who was forever going on about conspiracy theories and was a fromer employee?

Matt23

Staff member
borat said:
Wasn't a poster on here from a year or two back who was forever going on about conspiracy theories and was a fromer employee?
Go Knights, The Little people and numerous others

roopy

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Good in a fight though, if I had too pick someone to watch my back.....
he certainly won't stay down when he's beaten.
Sacking him was just a flesh wound - while ever he has teeth the fight is still on.

borat

Bench
Matt23 said:
Go Knights, The Little people and numerous others

The Little People was it. Conway's Curse I think was another alias. My memory isn't that good but I am sure he told me he was an ex employee from accounts.