What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights - ABC Four Corners

Karmawave

Bench
He hasn't got the gift of the gab, but all that says is he thinks you should be nice to girls and not call them a 'dirty whore' if you want to avoid trouble.
You will always find the most negative spin - which is pretty ironic since you feel agrieved about the media doing the same thing to you.

The media and my situation was all print, opinion, words on a page and the mouthpiece of a prosecution with massive intent of making an example for their own image and to prevent a growing number of similar types of situations from occurring. Unlike Williams, I never had the opportunity until after the event to tell my side of the story ( by then I couldn't even be bothered ).

This bloke opened his mouth on camera for the world to see, so there goes the chance of being misquoted or a written worded agenda.

How do you interpret the section then about " It's not how you treat them during the act " ...

Where does that come in? What else or how else can you interpret " its not how you treat them DURING THE ACT " - If a bloke was charged with sexual assault, do you think it might be for what happens in the ACT - or the failure to put them in a cab afterwards and ' kinda thank them for it '?

And why would anyone not guilty of something, need to " cover all that stuff up " anyway?

He was wrong way wrong, and if you think I'm the only person appalled by some of the Under 20's comments last night , you are kidding yourself. There are heaps of people. Probably not on this Knights loving forum, but there's a sh*tload of people who could not believe he said what he did.

Then what about " Depends how good your lawyer is " as a response to if you think a guy would be in trouble for sexual assault.

What's the excuse for that one?

Last edited:
Dane Tilse should be in jail.

You don't even know what happened there, all you hear about is what the media says. Dane was victimised by the media for admitting he was part of the group and the Knights left him out to dry and be the scape goat. *edit*

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmawave

Bench
You don't even know what happened there, all you hear about is what the media says. Dane was victimised by the media for admitting he was part of the group and the Knights left him out to dry and be the scape goat. *edit*

Welcome to the forum. First post.

What relation to Dane are you?

roopy

Referee
The media and my situation was all print, opinion, words on a page.

This bloke opened his mouth on camera for the world to see, so there goes the chance of being misquoted or a written worded agenda.

How do you interpret the section then about " It's not how you treat them during the act " ...

Where does that come in? What else or how else can you interpret " its not how you treat them DURING THE ACT " - If a bloke was charged with sexual assault, do you think it might be for what happens in the ACT - or the failure to put them in a cab afterwards and ' kinda thank them for it '?

And why would anyone not guilty of something, need to " cover all that stuff up " anyway?

He was wrong way wrong, and if you think I'm the only person appalled by some of the Under 20's comments last night , you are kidding yourself. There are heaps of people. Probably not on this Knights loving forum, but there's a sh*tload of people who could not believe he said what he did.

Then what about " Depends how good your lawyer is " as a response to if you think a guy would be in trouble for sexual assault.

What's the excuse for that one?
He didn't make a polished media statement and you can take what he said several ways - but it is clear he didn't mean it the way you and the media choose to interpret it.
He is not media savvy, but he isn't stupid and wouldn't go on national television deliberately putting over the opinion it is Ok to rape girls if you cover it up well. He is not geniused.

Karmawave

Bench
He is not media savvy, but he isn't stupid and wouldn't go on national television deliberately putting over the opinion it is Ok to rape girls if you cover it up well. He is not geniused.

Not stupid, not geniused, just dumb.

The footage was from his response during the seminar, not an interview.

bluesbreaker

Bench
You don't even know what happened there, all you hear about is what the media says. Dane was victimised by the media for admitting he was part of the group and the Knights left him out to dry and be the scape goat. There were much more high profile players there who didn't even get a mention.

You're a liar, I f**ken lived there, and what Tilse did was inexcusable.

You wanna complain about anything, complain about how the Bathurst police treated the poor girl.

roopy

Referee
Not stupid, not geniused, just dumb.

The footage was from his response during the seminar, not an interview.
the footage where he is shown reacting while a voiceover says something.
The actual reaction could have been to them announceing the assasination of JFK for all you know.
It's the oldest trick in the book to get a good reaction and edit in any soundbyte you want.

Pika

Bench
His comments were based on the following conversation.

In context of girls that delibreately set them up for blackmail.

The boys were told it was up to them to make the correct judgement, to be respectful, and to not let themselves be comprimised by things society does noty generally accept such as group sex and sharing.

Then someone asked "What if they just get up in the morning and have regrets? Take it out on you?"

Vangana "Why would they regret it? Maybe because you show a lack of respect the next day? How do you treat them in the morning?"

Simon Williams "......."

The last part of the comment was cut short. There were a few more sentences after that which did not go to air.

Certainly out of context, make of it what you will.

He is copping it everywhere. Work, training.

Karmawave

Bench
Roopy, what he said was dumb, whether he meant it that way or not.

Regardless it hasn't been a good look for him or the club.

This thread is me wrapping the Knights in this Four Corners segment, but with the wraps should come the criticisms of some of the Under 20 kids and what they had to say during the seminar ( even their body language )

Still no response regarding the goose who said " Depends how good your lawyer is "?

In his situation , you heard the question clearly.

Pika

Bench
That was Garbutt. Class clown.

Out of line and completely insensitive.

No excuses.

Has already been disciplined.

As for Williams, yeah he looked like a tool, but we can all do that if taken out of context.

Karmawave

Bench
Certainly out of context, make of it what you will.

He is copping it everywhere. Work, training.

And so he should be, because out of context or not, the " not what happens during the act ", and use of the words " cover up ", and even the ' kinda thank them for it ' , it wouldn't matter what he said before or after it to have most normal people cringing at what he said.

Big Tim

First Grade
so you're saying you're no better than them? ;-)

don't get all defensive bud I was playing with you.

No worries buddy, I was pretty fired up, but honestly your answer and my response was the perfect explanation of what I was thinking.

I also agree that the speech at half time was brilliant.

Big Tim

First Grade
Karma, honestly, us RL fans are smart enough to see that there was a POSSIBILITY that his answer was taken out of context, and that is probably pushed by the fact that he is one of our own.

If you want people to flame him, go over to the Herald's website, I am sure there will be plenty that agree with you.

roopy

Referee
Still no response regarding the goose who said " Depends how good your lawyer is "?

In his situation , you heard the question clearly.
Are you the only bloke on earth who doesn't know it was a poor attempt at humour? - or don't you want the obvious to get in the way of a good story?

Karmawave

Bench
I'm not trying to flame the guy, I'm just saying that to the masses, it wasn't a good look. Simple as that, and instead of trying to defend him, lets just cop it on the chin, hope he has learnt a bit of a lesson from all of this, and move on.

Given, the kids what 18, 19 - so that's fair enough, but lets just cop it on the chin, he said some dumb things regardless of the context, and move forward and hopefully learn a lesson from it.

Unfortunately for him, the exposure this has been given, is one hard lesson to learn.

And Roopy? Poor attempt of humour. If thats the time for humour , then the attitude of the players is just a tad warped, and their comical timing a bit off. It isn't the attempt of humour, as much as its the mindset that would make him want to say such a dumb thing at that time. Stop defending them Roopy. Just cop it on the chin and hope they learnt something from it for gods sake.

Big Tim

First Grade
Are you the only bloke on earth who doesn't know it was a poor attempt at humour? - or don't you want the obvious to get in the way of a good story?

Roops, that goes back to my earlier post on page one about young guys in a room. I am sure they/he thought it was funny, and as a jab at the state of RL it was on the money...... Or they could have said "depends on your profile at the club"

Big Tim

First Grade
I'm not trying to flame the guy, I'm just saying that to the masses, it wasn't a good look. Simple as that, and instead of trying to defend him, lets just cop it on the chin, hope he has learnt a bit of a lesson from all of this, and move on.

Given, the kids what 18, 19 - so that's fair enough, but lets just cop it on the chin, he said some dumb things regardless of the context, and move forward and hopefully learn a lesson from it.

Unfortunately for him, the exposure this has been given, is one hard lesson to learn.

And Roopy? Poor attempt of humour. If thats the time for humour , then the attitude of the players is just a tad warped, and their comical timing a bit off. It isn't the attempt of humour, as much as its the mindset that would make him want to say such a dumb thing at that time. Stop defending them Roopy. Just cop it on the chin and hope they learnt something from it for gods sake.

I think that is what everyone is getting at.

Good job.

Pika

Bench
And so he should be, because out of context or not, the " not what happens during the act ", and use of the words " cover up ", and even the ' kinda thank them for it ' , it wouldn't matter what he said before or after it to have most normal people cringing at what he said.

Fair enough.

Teenage kid talking about sex and treating women correctly in front of his peers.

How articulate do you expect him to be?

If there was a video around me and my mates talking about how to treat women after sex we would lynched, castrated and burnt by feminsts and our wives.

I would say if you listen in on any conversation that is esclusively male and the subject of sex is discussed, you will here much worse than "during the act" and "kinda thank them".

This is not a scripted media release, this is the very real way the subject would be discussed among males.

His choice of words were not very good, but the point he was making was valid and applauded by the seminar team.

The show did not play that, and took him out of context.

Edit - Sorry karma, you said that all pretty much above mate. I am a slow typer.

Karmawave

Bench
Fair enough.

Teenage kid talking about sex and treating women correctly in front of his peers.

How articulate do you expect him to be?

If there was a video around me and my mates talking about how to treat women after sex we would lynched, castrated and burnt by feminsts and our wives.

I would say if you listen in on any conversation that is esclusively male and the subject of sex is discussed, you will here much worse than "during the act" and "kinda thank them".

The point being, that if a camera was around, wouldn't you change the way you speak? :lol:

Its not like he didn't see a camera sitting right there in front of his mug.

roopy

Referee
And Roopy? Poor attempt of humour. If thats the time for humour , then the attitude of the players is just a tad warped, and their comical timing a bit off.
You don't know what 'time it was'.
It could have been at the end of 8 hours of exploring the issues from all angles in the most serious way for all you know.
You don't know the context - just the 2 seconds of footage.