What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle looking to future with young rake

Frederick

Staff member
Newcastle looking to future with young rake
By ROBERT DILLON

THE Newcastle Knights have taken the first step towards shoring up their hooking vacancy by signing Shaun Ferguson from the North Tamworth Bears.

Ferguson, 22, was a member of the St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg team who won the 2005 under-19 grand final against Parramatta.

His teammates that season included new Knights recruits Danny Wicks and Chris Houston.

He has signed with Central Newcastle, the Knights' NSW Cup feeder team, and started training with them this week.

The Knights have been searching for new dummy-half options after sacking Terence Seu Seu recently and learning that skipper Danny Buderus would be linking with Leeds Rhinos at season's end.

"He played last season with North Tamworth, who are coached by [former Knights prop] Matt Parsons," Knights coach Brian Smith said yesterday.

"He's quite a talented hooker, but he didn't play much last year.

"It just depends if he gets back to the form he showed at the Dragons in 2005; he could offer a bit of depth to our [NRL] squad."

The Knights have been trying to recruit a quick-fix replacement for Seu Seu, but that has been difficult because the season is under way.

Smith said the Knights would bide their time finding a replacement for Buderus.

"At the moment we've got Danny Buderus and Matty Hilder, who are both in great form, but we'd run into trouble if we lost either of them," Smith said.

"We're not rushing it. We've still got hopes of picking up somebody along the way, but it might be that we go for the long term."

Smith said that he would prefer not to use versatile Michael Young as a stop-gap hooker.
LINK

keeney

First Grade
I hope this doesn't mean we're looking away from this Flanagan? He sounds the most promising candidate besides perhaps John Morris.

Jono078

Referee
Lol, the other day I hope they didnt confuse Flanagan's name with Ferguson's.

I guess this is one of those signings where we could be suprised what this guy can do with a couple months of FG training.

keeney

First Grade
But the flipside of what you're saying is at the moment it seems like a nothing signing?

Hanscholo

Bench
I doubt this will stop us from getting Flanagan if that is what we were wanting long term. I think this guy is to be a third string backup, and if he goes well he may get a crack at it. He cant be on much cash surely.

aqua_duck

Coach
flanagan should be our number one target, i wouldnt even consider john morris, he hasn't play much hooker of late plus flanagan is a player we can develop more and keep for the next 7 or 8 years.

I heard Lincoln Withers is also off contract I wouldn't be against someone with his durability, defence and toughness. Would also fill abit of the void left of bedsy in terms of experience

Spike

First Grade
errrrk Lincoln Withers is terrible. He maybe able to put on a good hit for a little fella but his ball distribution is pretty ordinary and despite his heavy defence, he can miss a few tackles a game.

Johns Magic

Referee
Spike said:
errrrk Lincoln Withers is terrible. He maybe able to put on a good hit for a little fella but his ball distribution is pretty ordinary and despite his heavy defence, he can miss a few tackles a game.

Yeah he's sh*thouse

keeney

First Grade
Coming from someone who has never seen him play and is as such completely uninitiated with Flanagan, I was excited about him. Excited about what he represented. A junior right on the cusp of FG with an impressive junior pedigree, apprenticed under one of the best and a player other teams appear to want. All things we have struggled to attract in the past.

chinorocks

Juniors
Tigers fans have been talking Flanagan up for about 2 years in the NRL forum. Sounds like a gun and we won't have to pay an arm and a leg to get him (you wouldn't think).

NthKnight

keeney said:
Coming from someone who has never seen him play and is as such completely uninitiated with Flanagan, I was excited about him. Excited about what he represented. A junior right on the cusp of FG with an impressive junior pedigree, apprenticed under one of the best and a player other teams appear to want. All things we have struggled to attract in the past.

Also add the fact that he was a Jnr Kangaroo along side Pato and Mullo. I really hope we get this kid as he is a gun from what I have seen.

Spike

First Grade
I wouldn't want John Morris back either. He'd be asking for too much and would deliver sweet f*ck all.

Does anyone know what other hookers are off contract this year?

Jono078

Referee
Yes, but noone thinks he's worth bringing back...

Mick Ennis.

I think the Sharks, De Gois is also off who would be worth looking at.

And possibly Clint Amos from the Titans.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Radioactive Man said:
Isnt Luke Priddis off contract at the Panthers ?

If he is I wouldn't want him, he'd be close to retirement.

I'd be going after Flanagan if the wraps on him are right and De Gois. Sharks would be stupid to get rid of him De Gois and keep Kingston though, that bloke offers nothing.

otori

Juniors
I wouldn't mind having Luke Priddis replace Bedsy if we got him on decent money. Priddis is extremely dangerous out of dummy half for his age. Obviously not a long term solution but with the rumours that Flanagan is close to signing with Canberra it would be good to get a proper first string hooker instead of a bench hooker.

League_God

Juniors
tyne owen, imo a homegrown hooker or a cheap young hooker lol that sounds a bit iffy...
nah someone who is not going to cost us much but can develop, gives us more money for an outside back. we get a solid hooker and a classy outside back 2009 or 2010 is as good as ours.

Latest posts