What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Premier League next year

girvie

Staff member
Has there been any decision made about whether Newcastle will have a Premier League side next year?, or whether they will be replaced by a feeder club?, or will the Knights play their excess players in the Newcastle club competition?

Also can anyone help me out with Premier League player movements in this thread:
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=187001

Frederick

Staff member
I think I read something in the Herald that said the Knights and Central Charlestown were close to or have finalised a partnership for next years Premier League.

Big Tim

First Grade
What I want to know is, even if we field the Central Knights team, when do they play???

With the new youth competition being the curtain raiser to FG, will the "Premier League" games even be played on the same day, or even at the same venue???

I love watching all three grades, and will be pissed if my ticket is the same price but I get 33% less footy.

roopy

Referee
In the paper today an official from South Newcastle said he didn't know why the Knights were forming ties with central when they should be forming ties with the whole real NRL.

keeney

First Grade
Sounds a reasonable way to be identifying talent, seems like we're shooting ourselves in the foot a little.

darkness

Juniors
Souths shouldn't be complaining, everybody has had a chance to submit a proposal for the Premier league comp, and they all thought it was too much work, Central saw the benefit it would give them and decided to take it on board, they had to put alot of work in to make it feasable and prove they can handle the administration side of it, so good on them. Nobody else wanted it and central took it by the horns, now they have good pulling power to attract quality players and hopefully draw some success back to the club.

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, it's a strange (and rather silly) idea to hook up with one club only in the real NRL when there's the whole comp on offer.
Also a tad strange in my opinion because with the Knights being sponsored by Wests Leagues Club, I would've thought they'd hook up with the Rosellas.

Pika

Bench
As Darkness said, all the NRL Clubs had the opportunity, and I would guess Wests were well up there.

But only Central took it.

Props to Central, as it is a huge job.

I hope they gain success in the real NRL as a result of the efforts.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks for that info.

Does anyone know what's happening with these players for next year?
Stephen Gordon, Aaron Hartmann, Luke Hession, Nathan Hinton, Brendan Hunt, Hanan Laban, Jacob Ling, Kurt Sorenson, Larry Taufua, Matthew Thurston, Willie Tupou.

Will the Knights look after recruitment or will Central Charlestown be recruiting some players as well?

Pika

Bench
Stephen Gordon - Knights
Aaron Hartmann - Not sure
Luke Hession - Heading to Whit Sundays this weekend
Nathan Hinton - Wests (I think)
Brendan Hunt - Not sure, heard he will be with Wests, but might be considering heading back home
Hanan Laban - Not signed. His contract with Knights includes his degree. One year to go and that is priority. Will try and work with Central Charlestown Knights.
Jacob Ling - Knights
Kurt Sorenson - Not sure
Larry Taufua - Not sure, though I hear its Central Knights
Matthew Thurston - Wests
Willie Tupou - Knights

girvie

Staff member
Pika said:
Stephen Gordon - Knights
Aaron Hartmann - Not sure
Luke Hession - Heading to Whit Sundays this weekend
Nathan Hinton - Wests (I think)
Brendan Hunt - Not sure, heard he will be with Wests, but might be considering heading back home
Hanan Laban - Not signed. His contract with Knights includes his degree. One year to go and that is priority. Will try and work with Central Charlestown Knights.
Jacob Ling - Knights
Kurt Sorenson - Not sure
Larry Taufua - Not sure, though I hear its Central Knights
Matthew Thurston - Wests
Willie Tupou - Knights
Thanks for that, i guess you mean Wests Newcastle and not Western Suburbs Magpies?

Hanscholo

Bench
Lets hope either Central Charlestown RLFC is 10000000000000% better at managing things than they were 10 years ago when i was there, or they have no real input into it otherwise it could become a world class failure. Honestly, they couldnt even fund and manage a canteen.

macavity

Referee
Central are the (pre Rusty) Rabbitohs of the Newcastle Comp

last won something a hundred years ago and close to extinction

Maitland are the Bears - last won something a hundred years ago, much loved, but extinct at the top level

I really wish the Knights had joined up with Maitland - notwithstanding the Pumpkin Pickers lack of $$, was an awesome opportunity to make a legitimate stand-alone, well supported feeder club in the fastest growing area in the state.

AdamT

Juniors
They may not have a team yet but they have a trainer? Yes even their new CEO believes in Jobs for the Boys and has offered the Trainers position to Druggie O Davis. Should be able to teach the young up and coming Knights that roids and RL dont mix - and how badly it affected his career and work after the NRL... lol