What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle RL trial vs Knights

girvie

Staff member
http://crlnsw.com.au/index.php?id=13&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=222&tx_ttnews[backPid]=12&cHash=8cc4bf061c

NEWCASTLE RUGBY LEAGUE TAKE ON KNIGHTS/CENTURIONS NYC REP TEAMS

On Sunday 13th February 6pm Newcastle Knights will play the Fiji Bati side at Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle. Newcastle have picked a 31 man squad to trial against a combined Centurions/ Knights NYC side as a curtain raiser. This game will kick off at 4pm with 4 x 20 minute quarters.

At this stage the fixture will be 4 x 20 quarters. The players involved are hoping to impress selectors for a position in the Newcastle Rebels Represenatative side for this years CRL Senior Championships. This will also give the selectors a chance to watch players they havent seen play before.

Newcastle Squad

Name Club
1 Sam Wooden Cessnock
2 Josh Mantellato Wyong
3 Dan Randall Maitland
4 Mitch Everton South
5 Haydon Crouch Maitland
6 Benton Fidock South
7 Matt Sharp Wyong
8 Brent Colley South
9 Isaac Upton Northern Blues
10 Mitch Garbutt West
11 Ainsley Coxsedge South
12 Dan Metcalf Maitland
13 Chad Sharp Wyong

14 Domenic Nasso Wyong
15 Jake Learmouth South
16 Adam Fielder Lakes
17 Trent Walker Cessnock
18 Nathan Ross Lakes
19 Jackson Nickalau Lakes
20 Mick Moran Maitland
21 Sinbad Kali Wyong
22 Tyne Owen Lakes
23 Kene Te Wata Wyong
24 Matt Hurd Macquarie
25 Colby Schrader Maitland
26 Jacob Sinclair Maitland
27 Sam Anderson Kurri
28 Ben Sams Lakes
29 Ben Bradley Central
30 Mitch Cullen Kurri
31 Andy Sumner Macquarie

roopy

Referee
I'm surprized Sinbad Kali is playing for Wyong.
I always thought he would play firstgrade for Melbourne.
He made a mess of our reserve grade props more than once.

otori

Juniors
I thought that name looked really familiar. Strange that he couldn't even make the starting side for this team based on his previous work. Maybe he's really fallen far.

roopy

Referee
They probably think he will be in the centurions side by round 2, so why spend time looking at him

girvie

Staff member
I'm surprized Sinbad Kali is playing for Wyong.
I always thought he would play firstgrade for Melbourne.
He made a mess of our reserve grade props more than once.
Yeah he is one who I thought still had an NRL future.

I noticed that Mitch Williams, Wyong's hooker from last year and CRL player of the year is missing. Perhaps he's in the NSW Cup squad. He's only 22 so would still young enough to keep an eye on.

roopy

Referee
If he hasn't been training he might have blown up. Looking at a few articles on him he was 125kg at 17 and trimmed down to 112kg for Melbourne.
He was a Wyong junior from age 6.
I remember going to a reserve grade game in 2008 at Wyong where he played for CC Storm as a 21 year old, and he absolutely took Matt White and Sione Finefuaki to school. We got done by about 50, and he was easily MOTM.
He missed the 2009 season after getting injured playing for Tonga in the 2008 WC.
He must not have come back too well last season, although i think i remember him playing a game or two of firstgrade, but i might be wrong.

roopy

Referee
This is a great photo (if i do say so myself - have to get lucky some time).

I can't remember the name of the Knights player, but he was a prop who Smith signed who returned the ball like a maniac. This is the exact point his career ended as Sinbad Kali smashed him into next week and he never played for the Knights again.
It was an amazing hit - the guy was running at full pace with no thought of self preservation and Kali stopped him dead.
His name was Asa I think.

Asa1.jpg

roopy

Referee
Ben Bradley is either in his last year of SG Ball or first year of NYC. He is a chunky prop - a bit short maybe.
If he is not in our squads this year he could use this game to get people to take a second look.

Jackson Nicolau was suppose to be the next big thing a few years ago

I thought he same thing... I was really shocked to see him on that list.

I remember a few years ago the Cows paid a fortune to get him from Melbourne, and were talking him and JT up as their scrumbase pair for the next 10 years.

Whats Doing

Bench
I thought he same thing... I was really shocked to see him on that list.

I remember a few years ago the Cows paid a fortune to get him from Melbourne, and were talking him and JT up as their scrumbase pair for the next 10 years.

I think the media publicity went to his head and he didn't progress as everyone predicted. He is still young and hopefully he has the fire in his belly to succeed at the top level as he sure did have potential.

ballbag

Juniors
Yeah he is one who I thought still had an NRL future.

I noticed that Mitch Williams, Wyong's hooker from last year and CRL player of the year is missing. Perhaps he's in the NSW Cup squad. He's only 22 so would still young enough to keep an eye on.
He is but struggling with contact considering he is smallish. Going ok in the other 50 percent of the game thou

red and blue

Juniors
Years ago the winner of the winfield cup used to come to newcastle and play against thee Newcastle rep side. I think a game were the Knights take on the premiers from the local comp at there home ground with all gate takings divided up to give to all the local clubs would be a good trial for the knights every year. Thoughts

roopy

Referee
One of the interesting things is this will be at EAS.
I assume they are happy to play at EAS because the new half artifical/half real grass is much more robust than the old surface, so they can play many more games on it.
The trials at Cessnock, Raymond Terrace and Charleston the last few years have got crowds between about 2 and 5k, but i suspect a lot of people will be keen to see how the ground looks now.
I'm tipping 5 to 7k.

girvie

Staff member
He is but struggling with contact considering he is smallish. Going ok in the other 50 percent of the game thou
Yeah he is smallish but he's always performed well in each team he's been in. He's a tackling machine.

2006 - Norths SG Ball player of the year
2007 - Norths Jersey Flegg player of the year
2008 - Norths NSW Cup and Souths Toyota Cup
2009 - Wyong - MotM in the grand final.
2010 - Wyong - CRL player of the year

roopy

Referee
Creates a funny situation at the Knights.
Mitch Williams = hooker in CCC
Mitch Williams = centre in NYC or possibly CCC

Definately a chance both Mitch Williams' could join Simon Williams in the CCC team at some stage.

ballbag

Juniors
Yeah he is smallish but he's always performed well in each team he's been in. He's a tackling machine.

2006 - Norths SG Ball player of the year
2007 - Norths Jersey Flegg player of the year
2008 - Norths NSW Cup and Souths Toyota Cup
2009 - Wyong - MotM in the grand final.
2010 - Wyong - CRL player of the year

Very loose last sentence girvie