What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle RL trial vs Knights

Serc

First Grade
Naiqama captained Fiji to the 2008 Centenary World Cup semi-finals and said he would feel equally proud on Sunday when he leads the Knights against the Bati.‘‘It’s a proud thing for me to be named skipper of the Knights and I was pretty rapt when Stoney asked me if I was up for it, so I’m looking forward to playing against my fellow Fijians,’’ he said.
‘‘They’ve picked a squad from their national comp and it’s a special occasion for them, getting to play against an NRL team in a good stadium like we’ve got here in Newcastle.’’
The Naiqama brothers will meet the Fijians when they arrive in Newcastle tomorrow and act as chaperones during their stay.
‘‘It’s definitely going to be weird, having never played against your own countrymen, but I’m sure they’ll give us a good hard match. They’re all good hitters over there,’’ Kevin said.
‘‘With Wesley playing as well, normally when he’s playing with them he’s their captain, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
‘‘We’re all friends off the field but on the field it’s all business.
‘‘Me and my brother are going to go around to their hotel when they get here to see the boys before we play them, just to meet them and hang out with them for a bit. They always enjoy coming to Australia so I’m sure they’re looking forward to the trip.’’
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...qama-on-trial-against-countrymen/2070385.aspx

Serc

First Grade
Stone on lookout for Fijian recruits
BY ROBERT DILLON
11 Feb, 2011 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone will keep a close eye on the Fijian national side during Sunday’s trial at EnergyAustralia Stadium to see whether any are capable of making the grade in the NRL.
Stone said most of the Bati players, who arrived in Newcastle yesterday and will train at Dangar Park, Mayfield, this morning, were still based in Fiji.
Asked whether Newcastle would consider recruiting any of the Fijians who showed obvious potential, Stone replied: ‘‘We could, we could, absolutely.
‘‘We’re pretty full in our top tier obviously and we’ve got plenty of players on our books obviously.
‘‘But it’s something to keep an eye on as a possibility.’’
Newcastle have three Fijians in their NRL squad, Akuila Uate and the Naiqama brothers, Wes and Kevin, and Stone said they were natural athletes.
‘‘If you look at guys like Aku and Wes and Kevvy, there’s some talent there as far as the physique to start with but also the speed and the strength that comes with the nationality,’’ Stone said.
‘‘They’re made for footy, some of those island nations, and we’re expecting them to be really proud to be playing for their country on Sunday and keen to have a crack at some of our NRL forwards.
‘‘It might be one of the few opportunities they’ll ever get to measure themselves against somebody like that.’’
Stone said Kevin Naiqama, who made his top-grade debut for Newcastle in their final-round loss to Melbourne last year, was still learning but would be considered for further selection if Uate or former NSW Origin winger James McManus was injured this year.
‘‘He showed with some great form last year that he deserved his chance,’’ he said.
‘‘I would suggest he’s still got a bit of work to do on his game to be a consistent NRL performer ... Every time we train, he’s making a genuine effort to improve his game.’’
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...e-on-lookout-for-fijian-recruits/2073008.aspx

Interesting also that McManus is mentioned as more or less locked in for the other wing position...keen to hear how Kev goes on Sunday as going by the team list, he should get another 80 minutes.

roopy

Referee
http://crlnsw.com.au/index.php?id=13&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=222&tx_ttnews[backPid]=12&cHash=8cc4bf061c

NEWCASTLE RUGBY LEAGUE TAKE ON KNIGHTS/CENTURIONS NYC REP TEAMS

On Sunday 13th February 6pm Newcastle Knights will play the Fiji Bati side at Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle. Newcastle have picked a 31 man squad to trial against a combined Centurions/ Knights NYC side as a curtain raiser. This game will kick off at 4pm with 4 x 20 minute quarters.

At this stage the fixture will be 4 x 20 quarters. The players involved are hoping to impress selectors for a position in the Newcastle Rebels Represenatative side for this years CRL Senior Championships. This will also give the selectors a chance to watch players they havent seen play before.

Newcastle Squad

Name Club
1 Sam Wooden Cessnock
2 Josh Mantellato Wyong
3 Dan Randall Maitland
4 Mitch Everton South
5 Haydon Crouch Maitland
6 Benton Fidock South
7 Matt Sharp Wyong
8 Brent Colley South
9 Isaac Upton Northern Blues
10 Mitch Garbutt West
11 Ainsley Coxsedge South
12 Dan Metcalf Maitland
13 Chad Sharp Wyong

14 Domenic Nasso Wyong
15 Jake Learmouth South
16 Adam Fielder Lakes
17 Trent Walker Cessnock
18 Nathan Ross Lakes
19 Jackson Nickalau Lakes
20 Mick Moran Maitland
21 Sinbad Kali Wyong
22 Tyne Owen Lakes
23 Kene Te Wata Wyong
24 Matt Hurd Macquarie
25 Colby Schrader Maitland
26 Jacob Sinclair Maitland
27 Sam Anderson Kurri
28 Ben Sams Lakes
29 Ben Bradley Central
30 Mitch Cullen Kurri
31 Andy Sumner Macquarie
I don't know who will be in our side against this team, but without Ailoami, Cook, Roberts and Redman, i predict they will get smashed unless they use some over age guys from the Centurions.

roopy

Referee
I will save you a team sheet.
That would be great.
I expect i'll be able to work out who most of them are during the game, but there will no doubt be one or two surprizes.

I'm hoping to see Schillings, Morseau, Cordner, Kruize Wilson, Marlborough - and maybe i'm hoping for too much, but i'd like to see Lucas Miller in injury free mode after a good off season.

kavaholic

Juniors
Love what the Knights are doing for Fiji RL, especially great to see them funding the event as well. Hope the Bati can put up a respective performance and just looking at the ticket prices, Newy should be out there in force.

IanG

Coach
Knights leading Newcastle 12-0 at Quarter Time. Feels weird that Knights v Newcastle

IanG

Coach
any team lists yet?

not that I've heard. Can barely hear the PA.

Full Time Score
Knights/Centurions 22
Newcastle Reps 20

also wonder why the Newcastle Reps changed strips at Half time. 1st half they played in the red and white hoops and in the 2nd half played in a 2 blue one.

League_God

Juniors
Who were the scorers Ian?
i know two of the boys in the newcastle rep side, brenton fidock and mitch evenden, how'd they go? cheers mate

perverse

Referee
Henry gets hits first try assist after 5 minutes in the red and blue. Nice grubber to Keith on the wing. Yep I ended up making it to the game.

perverse

Referee
Beau scores a try off a wes kick underfunded the posts. Already showed his class in the first 20.