What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle RL trial vs Knights

roopy

Referee
I think the Cowboys paid overs to get him a few years ago to play with JT, if he was any good, Dunemann would have picked him up before Lakes United
Who's to say he didn't come to Newcastle to work with Dunemann?
Being signed for Lakes doesn't mean he won't play for the Centurions all season.
I think Lucas Miller was officially signed with Cessnock last year, but i don't think he played a game with them.

otori

Juniors
Jackson Nicolau was suppose to be the next big thing a few years ago

Is it definitely the same guy? The last name is spelt Nickalau in the OP isn't it? You'd think there wouldn't be too many Jackson Nicolau's in RL though :p

ballbag

Juniors
Who's to say he didn't come to Newcastle to work with Dunemann?
Being signed for Lakes doesn't mean he won't play for the Centurions all season.
I think Lucas Miller was officially signed with Cessnock last year, but i don't think he played a game with them.
Thats correct he might get a game with CCC but why isn't he there? Aren't there 35 odd players in fulltime training now, a few will go back to NYC, the rest back to CCC and most of those currnently with CCC will go back to local clubs (they will have to be registered to play).
Lucas did register with Cessnock last year, those who played against the newcastle rep side at the bay had to be registered with a local club before hand.
He has mullen, rogers, henry, karawanna, stig, roberts, gidley in front of him anyway

roopy

Referee
<h1>knights generation next get ready to flex again in fiji
by brett keeble
07 feb, 2011 04:00 am
newcastle’s next generation will be given another chance to stretch their legs against fiji on sunday despite demonstrating growing pains in a 22-22 draw with the warriors at greymouth, on new zealand’s south island, on saturday.
Knights coach rick stone included a handful of senior players in a mostly experimental squad for their first pre-season trial, a charity match to raise money for the pike river miners’ relief fund and the west coast rugby league.
Stone said many of the younger players made mistakes, which was to be expected, and the warriors took advantage to lead 16-0 and 22-6 before the knights rattled home with three late tries, including two in the last four minutes.
‘‘we played a lot of young blokes and i know the warriors played plenty of young blokes as well and it’s a trial for all these young players and we had some good and bad patches,’’ he said.
‘‘there’s no doubt about it, our ball control was a little bit dicey at times and some of the young blokes didn’t take the world’s best options and made some errors that they shouldn’t make but all young blokes do.
‘‘i would suggest there was a distinct bridge between the blokes that had played first grade and the blokes that hadn’t played first grade. Some of the errors that the younger blokes were incurring, obviously it’s a maturity thing and something we’ll continue to work on.’’
stone liked what he saw from back-rowers zane tetevano and ethan cook and winger peter mata’utia ‘‘and i’d have to give [australian schoolboys hooker] chad redman a rap also’’.
‘‘he’s a kid who just turned 18 in december and two months after his 18th birthday he’s playing in an nrl trial and he acquitted himself really well,’’ he said.
Stone said most of the squad used against the warriors would back up against fiji at energyaustralia stadium on sunday, giving them a chance to experience the travel and recovery components of a long-haul away game then returning home to back up a week later.
The coach will keep most of his established players under wraps until nrl trials against penrith at port macquarie on february 19 and cronulla at muswellbrook on february 26.
‘‘that’s a significant point, that these young blokes get to do that, because the nrl is not just about playing a one-off game, it’s about preparing yourself to play, dusting yourself off and getting ready to play the next one, so that is really important for us,’’ he said.
Of the more experienced players, stone was pleased with the performances of fullback shannon mcdonnell and prop joel edwards, who scored the first of newcastle’s four tries. He said stand-in skipper evarn tuimavave led from the front on and off the field.
‘‘evarn was great for us all week,’’ he said of the former warriors and kiwi test prop.
‘‘he put his hand up to do this trip and has done a massive job for us. He led the boys really well and his performance was pretty good coming back from a ruptured achilles in round 10 last year.’’
knights 22 (joel edwards, chris houston, chris adams, simon williams tries; peter mata’utia 3 goals) warriors 22 (glen fisiiahi 2, bill tupou, pita godinet tries; krisnan inu 3 goals) at wingham park, greymouth; nz. Half-time warriors 4-0. Crowd: 6000 (approx). Referees jared maxwell, tony de las heras. http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...o-flex-again-in-fiji/2068079.aspx?storypage=0
</h1>

roopy

Referee
It's good to see that Stone singled out Chad Redman for mention.

I don't know why, but the first time i saw that kid play as a centre in Mathews I started describing him as a future Knights firstgrade captain.
You can just see by the way the other players interact with him that he is the guy they all respect. He was captain of Mathews, but that doesn't fully explain the way all the players stopped and listened when he talked.
Pity about the name - sounds like he should be a yuppy stockbroker.

Serc

First Grade
Trial 2: Knights v Fiji team
By Michelle Smit
newcastleknights.com
8/02/2011 4:18:38 PM

Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights Head Coach Rick Stone has named his team to take on the Fiji Bati at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday 13 February.

00010624-image.jpg

Beau Henry and Wes Naiqama tackle Kyle O'Donnell at training.

Wes Naiqama, captain of Fiji and a utility for the Knights, is set to skipper the side.
“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to lead the boys in front of a home crowd at EnergyAustralia Stadium, hopefully our supporters can get to the game and give us a boost,” Naiqama said.
“This will be the first time I’ve played against Fiji and I think it will be a really physical game, something our Defenders will enjoy.”
The second trial for the Knights will see the captain play alongside younger brother Kevin, who debuted for the club in their round 26 clash with the Melbourne Storm in 2010.

00010625-image.jpg

Kevin Naiqama

A stand out for the Central Coast Centurions in the 2010 NSW Cup competition, Kevin continued his push for a first grade position during the Knights draw against the Warriors in the Pike River Charity Match last Saturday.
“It will be great to play with Kevvy again, he has been training strongly and played well in the trial in Greymouth.”

Sunday 13 February 2011
3.30pm Gates Open
4.00pm Combined Newcastle Knights NYC/NSW Cup v Newcastle Representatives
6.00pm Newcastle Knights v Fiji Bati

Tickets
Adult tickets are only $10 with kids under 15 free. Tickets are only available through the Knights Kingdom Supporter Store (in person or by phone), PROticket online and at the gate on game day.

Newcastle Knights (Alphabetical order – Jersey numbers TBA)
Chris ADAMS
Josh AILAOMAI
Ethan COOK
Cameron CIRALDO
Richie FA’AOSO
Chris HOUSTON
Beau HENRY
Antonio KAUFUSI
Siuatonga LIKILIKI
Keith LULIA
Peter MATA’UTIA
Kevin NAIQAMA
Wes NAIQAMA (c)
Kyle O’DONNELL
Chad REDMAN
Tyrone ROBERTS
Ryan STIG
Mark TAUFUA
Zane TETEVANO
Dan TOLAR
Mitch WILLIAMS
Simon WILLIAMS
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/...ay&id=33330&title=trial-2-knights-v-fiji-team

roopy

Referee
We are going to have to start calling one of the Mitch Williams' Mitchell or something.

From that squad you really can't tell if it's the centre or the hooker.

Serc

First Grade
There's also a clip on the NBN website from tonights news...but as is often the case for a certain percentage of their online stuff, it's a dead link! So no luck for us non-Newcastle/North Coast people!

roopy

Referee
Newcastle Knights (Alphabetical order – Jersey numbers TBA)
Chris ADAMS
Josh AILAOMAI
Ethan COOK
Cameron CIRALDO
Richie FA’AOSO
Chris HOUSTON
Beau HENRY
Antonio KAUFUSI
Siuatonga LIKILIKI
Keith LULIA
Peter MATA’UTIA
Kevin NAIQAMA
Wes NAIQAMA (c)
Kyle O’DONNELL
Chad REDMAN
Tyrone ROBERTS
Ryan STIG
Mark TAUFUA
Zane TETEVANO
Dan TOLAR
Mitch WILLIAMS
Simon WILLIAMS

I love that side.
No Rogers, McDonnell, Tui, Karawana, Southern or Filipo - but all the kids are getting another chance to impress and some other old heads have been added for a hit out.

roopy

Referee
1 Mata'utia
2 Lulia
3 Wes Naiqama
4 Simon Williams
5 Kev Naiqama
6 Stig
7 Henry
8 Kaufusi
9 Adams
10 Tolar
11 Houston
12 Ciraldo
13 Taufua

14 Redman
15 Fa'aso
16 Ailoami
17 Cook
18 Tetevano
19 Roberts
20 Mitch Williams (if the hooker, probably higher up)
21 Likiliki
22 O'Donnell

roopy

Referee
Mitch Williams the centre.
Bit of a surprizing selection IMO.
I'm not a huge fan.
It is his third year of NYC, but i'd go for the bigger and more athletic Herman or even young Clacherty. They aren't as 'polished', but they both have more potential IMO.
Mitch Williams is not particularly big, or fast, or skilful - I don't see what the fuss is about.

Johns Magic

Referee
1 Mata'utia
2 Lulia
3 Wes Naiqama
4 Simon Williams
5 Kev Naiqama
6 Stig
7 Henry
8 Kaufusi
9 Adams
10 Tolar
11 Houston
12 Ciraldo
13 Taufua

14 Redman
15 Fa'aso
16 Ailoami
17 Cook
18 Tetevano
19 Roberts
20 Mitch Williams (if the hooker, probably higher up)
21 Likiliki
22 O'Donnell

I imagine Liki will start over Williams, even though I thought Williams had the better game the other day.

roopy

Referee
I imagine Liki will start over Williams, even though I thought Williams had the better game the other day.
People forget that Williams is only a year older than Likiliki.

We never saw the best of Williams in the juniors because of his recurring leg injuries that saw him out or playing injured for year after year - but the guy had an amazing season in NSW cup last year with about 18 tries and he really got his passing game working to set up his winger for probably more tries than he scored.

I don't know what the coaches are thinking, but my opinion is that Williams is ready for firstgrade and likiliki needs work still - even though he is probably a better athlete and less injury prone.

I don't think we have a firstgrade spot for either of them, but if we needed a guy for round one, i'd love to see Uate outside the passing game of Williams.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Can someone give me the story on Adams? I was watching the trial last night with Big Tim who somewhat agreed and i've got big raps on the kid. Of course he will always be stuck behind Ike but he seems to have talent.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
Can someone give me the story on Adams? I was watching the trial last night with Big Tim and i've got big raps on the kid. Of course he will always be stuck behind Ike but he seems to have talent.
Same age and brought up in the same area as Jarod Mullen and Scot Dureau - played in the same junior comp.

Went to Sydney to play his juniors and went pretty well, but didn't make the grade.

Spent a few seasons in the Newcastle comp where he was one of the standout players for a few different local sides including Wyong and Cessnock from memory. Also played rep for Newcastle and Country.

Trained with firstgrade last pre-season and struggled to lose the bad habit of being a ball hog he had developed by playing in bush league teams where he was the best player by a mile.

Played for Centurions last year, but injured for most of the season. When he did play, he was obviously better than N'daira.

I think he is a good defender, has a big motor, but he still tends to back himself too much and not give his halfback the ball when he calls for it.

Last edited: