What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Vs Storm *Spoiler*

Ben

Bench
Not defending the way the team played, but im sure the game against Brisbane was worse.

Something needs to be done about Macdougall. As soon as we played a team with attacking potential he will be found out - and that is exactly what happened tonight.

Maybe he needs to move back out onto wing when defending and moving McManus into the centres. Just do something, cause teams will now spot this and every game he is going ot be exposed.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
We can be an absolutely disgraceful side when we want to be. Honestly, tonight we were bloody embarrassingly terrible. With a for and against of somewhere near -150 we don't deserve to make the eight.

And this was meant to be a rebuilding year.. That game resembled a collapsing, no wait, an earthquake demolising an entire city.. How can we rebuild when we play like that. We had nothing!

Nuffy

Bench
We were poor but the reality is that the Storm had enough ball to win 2 games, 10 penalties, including 8 straight allowed them to have good field position at will.

The ref only policed one side tonight, the Storm did everything we did in the ruck and the the tackle but never got penalised, that amplified the situation well beyond our abilities.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Its plain and simple, our defence is non-existant. Our right-hand side defence is absolutely abominable, in the last month about 10 tries have gone down that side. Its become painfully obvious that in the last month our opponents have directed their attack down their left hand edge. Something has to be done about it, surely.

Doctor

Bench
The game was played in the Matrix mode -- it was like when the Storm had the ball they had extra time to put on every play they wished. We were defending our own goal constantly, and were caught out repeatedly for our shoddy defence.

What I want to know is what happened to the pre-season tackle bags. Judging on our efforts this season, those tackle bags could probably be put back in the box and returned. Brian Smith ought to get his money back, because that effort was crap. We were leaking points like a sieve. It makes a mockery of our pre-match plan to sneak in and catch the Storm with their pants down. We were the only ones with our Reg Grundies around our ankles -- Vuna and MacDougall in particular.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. But there isn't much to salvage from that game. We had minimal opportunities, but we bombed them all. If Cooper Vuna were a racehorse, you'd taken him out the back and shoot him. How a 95kg Vuna is beaten one-on-one by a 75kg Billy Slater is beyond me -- he should have scored three tries but bombed them all.

The question is: where to from here? We've soundly beaten Parramatta but got our backsides slapped by the Storm. Despite not scoring a point tonight, I would argue it's our defence that's killing us -- if you hold the ball, make your tackles and get a good kick away, you don't get flogged 44-0. Unfortunately, we're giving away penalties (justified or not) and leaking points without the ball.

Back to the drawing boards... not one to be proud of that.

Jono078

Referee
Was a dissapointing night overall.

We blew a good chance to get on top early.

Bounce of the ball didnt go our way.

Melbourne had penalties, with about a 3:1 ratio to us and the sin bin.

Few players shouldnt have been there IMO.

White is hopeless and Tighe didnt deserve to come back considering Carmont's last 2 weeks. If he could carve up Parra's backline he would of went ok against Storms.

And now we are the = worst defending team in the comp.

Next week the 2 worst go head to head, should be exciting, but a real danger game.

Final word, Storm too good.

strewth_mate

Bench
Too bad about the ref I spose, but I very much doubt that Badger being a smelly meanie is worth 44-0. It's an even worse 44-0 too, considering the woeful goalkicking.

Doom, gloom and all the rest, may as well hit the piss tonight and remain in the dumps for the rest of the week. I mean there's really some good signs. They're just not manifesting into good 80 minute efforts. Surprisingly I think our defence at times this year has been actually quite decent, and perhaps we've leaked more points than deserved. All said and done though, look at our scorecards and we've been shat on continually and by gum it's frustrating.

I really think they're trying. Last week was a nice vindication, but I'll wait til next week to see if we've settled into this reality for certain.

Still, I'd like to make them spend the rest of the week looking after smirking Clint Newton dolls, and at the end of the week slap each player in the face.

Whats Doing

Bench
Storm were dominant right across the park.

Our pack surrendered and our backs were gun shy.

Thank goodness there is a whole new playing roster for next year.

The storm are the benchmark and are a class above our boys. The big difference is that the Storm have structure in both attack and defence, some thing we lack big time.

Nuffy

Bench
The team was ordinary tonight but you need to acknowledge the leg up that the Storm got all game.

We didn't get a penalty for over 60 minutes.................. whilst the storm got 8, can anyone actually believe that the storm were flawless for an hour.

We got pinged mercilessly for 60 minutes in the play the ball and for grapples, the Storm did exactly the same constantly and didn't get pinged once.........except for the last 20 seconds of the game.

Badger wouldn't make the tough calls against the home team, they got the rub of the green and scored 44 points.

They had 20 extra sets, they should have won by much more.

Every decision, bounce of the ball and piece of luck went Melbournes way tonight, do you think we could have put up more of an effort based on the statistics that went against us.

We've used 36 players in FG, and Smith said we had only 20 to chose from for this week with blokes like Buderus and Kidley playing injured.

How do we stand a chance with any number of kids playing their first year of FG, 2 of our best 3 playing injured and a ref that wants to hear the crowd cheer him at every chance.

We never stood a chance once the ref decided to make a name for himself.

Serc

First Grade
Nuffy said:
I didn't see the Brisbane game but it seems they couldn't play as badly as they did tonight coupled with a pillock of a ref.

We were worse back then, the Storm would've had a real show at cracking the ton tonight if that team showed up!

Whats Doing

Bench
We cannot make excuses, it is clear that there is a huge difference in standard and to look at excuses does nothing to benefit the team and over looks our deficiencies which are plain to see.

Nuffy

Bench
Surely there must be acknowledgement that some circumstances amplify the disparity between teams.

Do you think that any team having 60% of the ball, 20 more sets than the opposition and a penalty count favouring them to a ratio of 3:1 wouldn't win a footy game, and probably win it well.

The storm had a huge advantage in the penalty count and the corressponding sets counts, sure Newcastle didn't put their best game together, but the advantages offered to Melbourne made the result even more stark than usual.

Latest posts