What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEWSFLASH! - Bulldogs cleared

Sportsjock

Juniors
Stgillaman said:
Sharks 2001, Dogs 2002, Dogs 2003. Storm 2004, StKilda 2004, Leicester 2004, Kobe bryant, I could go on and on.

See the pattern ??

Oh mate, I see it completely.

But we are simply MEANT TO BELIEVE that in every single case listed above, that the girls are obviously just obssessed infatuated fans with mental problems!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Because out of the above cases - was anyone charged?! NO.

Yet its apparently quite obvious that we are meant to swallow the fact that these girls are just totally rooted in the head and want to do some sick twisted rubbish to hurt a star.

Yeah... fools me.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

wittyfan

Referee
I think the Bulldogs' claims that nothing actually happened in Coffs Harbour are quite silly. As Cindy Wockner pointed out clearly on 2GB this morning, all yesterday proved that there wasn't enough evidence for it to get up in a court of law.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
Stgillaman said:
Sharks 2001, Dogs 2002, Dogs 2003. Storm 2004, StKilda 2004, Leicester 2004, Kobe bryant, I could go on and on.

See the pattern ??

Oh mate, I see it completely.

But we are simply MEANT TO BELIEVE that in every single case listed above, that the girls are obviously just obssessed infatuated fans with mental problems!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Because out of the above cases - was anyone charged?! NO.

Yet its apparently quite obvious that we are meant to swallow the fact that these girls are just totally rooted in the head and want to do some sick twisted rubbish to hurt a star.

Yeah... fools me.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sportsjock, I blame the police who were derelict in their duty when all this came about.
THe players were allowed to go home before issuing statements.
It would / Could have all been different had the cops done their job.

I also blame the NRL who let the sharks go in 2001, the dogs last season. It always takes something extreme, or 1 lady to go ahead with legal proceedings, before it gets the NRL's attention.

I said it then, and i say it again. Clubs, NRL, and other codes, continually pay off, or keep things in house, when something more should have been done, in the awareness of this.

Too little too late.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
BTW,

This is far from over for the dogs, The lady in question in this is taking it further, and has hired a barrister.

So Dont for one minute think it's all over. Someone will pay for this i feel.

There will be a scapegoat. :?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Stgillaman said:
BTW,

This is far from over for the dogs, The lady in question in this is taking it further, and has hired a barrister.

It better be a damn good barrister....

Holes that leave a detective no choice
Analysis by Cindy Wockner
April 28, 2004

IT is the moment any investigator dreads.

The moment when hairline cracks start to appear in the alleged victim's version of events.

It is even worse when the victim is alleging sexual assault and much of the case hinges on her credibility.

This moment came for strike force McGuigon when some of what the 20-year-old woman had told them in initial interviews appeared to be at odds with evidence and what other witnesses were saying.

Precisely, it was when investigators learned that her girlfriend's wallet or handbag had been found and handed in at the Plantation Hotel in Coffs Harbour.

It may not seem a big deal in the grand scheme of things - except that the alleged victim had told police her reason for going to the Pacific Bay Resort that morning was to return her friend's wallet.

She had said her friend travelled there with a player, leaving her wallet behind and that she needed to return the wallet to her.

But, with the wallet found somewhere at the Plantation Hotel and possibly in the street outside, it appeared, on any reading that the woman's initial reasoning for going to the hotel may not be right.

The anomaly could of course be explained by the fact that outside the hotel that morning the woman had an altercation with one player.

She had pointed at him, suggesting she would "f... him" that night. He had responded angrily, calling her unsavoury names, which included something such as "low-life". Earlier in the evening, somewhere upstairs in an accommodation section of the hotel, she had already had consensual sex with another player.

The wallet could have fallen to the ground in the ensuing struggle outside the hotel.

Or it could have been that she was embarrassed to tell police why she really went there.

Whatever happened with the wallet, it did not bode well for investigators tasked with seriously investigating her claims of gang rape by up to six players.

They were acutely aware that the whole case hinged on her credibility and the ability of her version of events to withstand torrid cross-examination should the matter ever reach a courtroom.

It was just one small issue but it was important.

And it didn't get any better when later she was called upon to identify her alleged attackers from police photoboards.

She had told police, in her initial interviews, that she was gang raped - orally, vaginally and anally - by up to six players at the swimming pool area that morning.

But she was unable, when shown the photos, to identify six players.

Police had also hoped DNA evidence may help to corroborate the young woman's version of events and narrow down just who did what.

It was a long shot anyway, because if all the players got to court and claimed consent it meant little. On the other hand it could help trap anyone who was lying.

But at the end of the day the DNA was of no value. It didn't link the woman and players.

Suddenly the cracks were becoming gaping chasms. In sexual assault cases identity is all important. Without a positive identification from the woman and in the absence of other good corroborative evidence the case was beginning to unravel.

Then there was one footballer who had put up his hand and admitted receiving consensual oral sex from the young woman that morning. Except in one version of events the woman denied that ever took place.

Heaped on top of all this was evidence from some independent witnesses - workers at the resort - who reported seeing her frolicking, as they saw it, happily in the swimming pool about 6.30am.

If this was true her version as to the timing of the alleged attacks and the amount of daylight around at the time must be wrong. With all this extra evidence coming in she was called back for further questioning in a bid to clarify her statements.

Complicating matters even further was the fact that some of the players, who had been interviewed by police that same day in Coffs Harbour, had stuck by their original versions, including those who admitted consensual sex with her.

At the end of the day it was a firm decision. Was there, based on the available and admissible evidence, a reasonable prospect of conviction? The DPP decided no. The standard of proof for any prosecution is extremely high and in sexual assault cases it is even higher.

And as far as scapegoats go. Ask Mortimer and Hughes.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Stgillaman said:
BTW,

Well here is the best part about it becoming a CIVIL case - THE CASE WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO BE KEPT SECRET FROM THE PUBLIC AND THE MEDIA CAN HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS ON NAMES OF THE ACCUSED! HURRAH!
:lol:

The other amazing part in all this, is StGIllman, Melon, and myself, are all on the same page - unified as one?! :? :lol:

Sportsjock

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
It better be a damn good barrister....

Don't kid yourself that some of Australias top barristers are not salivating at the prospect of doing the case for pittance in exchange for the high profile stories the action would obviously bring for their profile.

I also believe its far from done.

Woods said:
Twizzle said:
They didn't say the girl was not raped, they just said they did not have enough evidence to prosecute.

Big difference.

24 DNA tests and still no evidence

Phone taps on all players and still no evidence

Witnesses stating they saw her in the pool with one player and another who says they saw her showering fully clothed

And then there's the lie she told police that she was only at the hotel to return her friends wallet. The wallet later showed up handed in at the nightclub. She never had it in the first place when she was at the hotel. If she lied about that, what else did she lie about?

Anyway I could care less if you all think they're guilty. Noone has been charged after a two month investigation involving DNA tests and phone taps. 'Insufficient evidence' is good enough for me.

GO THE DOGS!

Have your heard of condoms in relation to dna tests??.

do you believe players would be speaking about it n the phone to each other??

the police say also the charges weren't laid because she couldn;t recogise all six players from photo id's?? - if as she say's she was being raped by 6 people i would doubt if any woman could identify all six attackers.

what do the police want full confessions to proceed?? and one has to query the 11th hour witnesses who came forward to dispute the woman's version of events - employees of the resort i understand - are they credible and why didn't they come forward earlier??

It is a very sad day for women as what woman will now come forward after being raped as many many do not as they aren't believed and the trauma of going through this again and again is much too much to cope with and some if fact have committed suicide as a result

something happened at coffs harbour and as gary hughes said what happened was immoral and whether it was illegal is upto to others to decide.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Generalissimo Stalin said:
and one has to query the 11th hour witnesses who came forward to dispute the woman's version of events - employees of the resort i understand - are they credible and why didn't they come forward earlier??

*edit* :p ;-)

Stgillaman said:
BTW,

good on her and shame shame shame public prosecution - let the jury of their peers decide. again the legal system fails the real victims

ouwet

Bench
Stgillaman said:
BTW,

good on her and shame shame shame public prosecution - let the jury of their peers decide. again the legal system fails the real victims

Let her take it further... Even her best friend contradicts her statement...

Ren

Juniors
I don't know if that so called "11th hour witness" IS one. For all we know, they told the police what they knew at the start, and it became known to the Australian later.

I think something morally reprehensible happened, but you know what? That's none of my business. What they do on their own time is their business. Since it apparently broke the club's Code of Conduct, its now the Club's repsonsibilty. Let them decide.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Stgillaman said:
BTW,

What would you know? were you there? Are you 100% positive of the events that took place? It may be that the real victims in this are the Bulldogs players who were accused of these crimes, then again it maybe so that, that girl was the victim.

the Bulldogs have been cleared by the DPP after a lengthy and satisfactory investigation.

THEY ARE INNOCENT. End of story.

soleilbleu

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
Well here is the best part about it becoming a CIVIL case - THE CASE WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO BE KEPT SECRET FROM THE PUBLIC AND THE MEDIA CAN HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS ON NAMES OF THE ACCUSED! HURRAH!

Indeed.

If the young woman has hired a barrister and is going to pursue this as a civil suit, it is going to be become even more ugly for the club.

The "lack of evidence" outcome is not a quick fix. This is far, far from over.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Colonel Eel said:
Its a Dogs World said:
Razor said:
the Bulldogs have been cleared by the DPP

Not proceding with charges and being cleared are 2 very different things. The DPP did not clear them.

Well, so do we assume guilt then?

No, but we cannot presume innocence either......

Until they are convicted. they are innocent. we can presume innocence. I will, and I have.

taxidriver

Coach
POLICE investigating rape allegations against six Bulldogs players today said there was evidence backing the accuser's version of events, but not enough to prosecute the case.

Doesn't sound like "cleared" is an appropriate term to me.

JK

Absolutely disgraceful how some self proclaimed legal experts are judging this case based on innuendo *edit*.

The NRL should leave the matter the the Bulldogs first. If they think the punishment given by the club in incorrect THEN they should act but this is pathetic!

Latest posts