What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton, Knights in talks over return

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think any knights fan would welcome back judas, I know I certainly wouldn't, and there's no way on earth brian smith would have him back. I thibnk the club is being diplomatic, but really we should take a stand against judas and one arm jack tell them to get effed

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't want him back! I've just spent days creating a piece of artwork on Facebook depicting his grave! How would I explain that!?

Apey

Staff member
I love Clint Newton, I hope he comes back!

Welcome back in advance Clint! :D

Kidding D:

roopy

Referee
I can see us making him an offer he would see as a huge insult and him spitting the dummy all over again.
I say bring it on - offer him a contract with five zeros - but two of them should be after the decimal point.

aqua_duck

Coach
offer him a incentive contract, $2 a tackle, $5 a hit up, his stats would go through the roof, oh and a visit to the hair regrowth centre every time he wins man of the match

Spike

First Grade
Too much debris would be thrown onto the field each week if Newton came back. Beer cans, coins, prosthetic arms. It would become a hazard

I reckon Newton will be back... just after Smith has left. He has often stated his wish to finish his career in his home town, and as much as his current actions make it hard to believe, he honestly does love Newcastle.

There are a lot of people out there saying that they will stop support the Knights if Clint ever straps on the red and blue again... in time we may see how many of them actually mean it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
and as much as his current actions make it hard to believe, he honestly does love Newcastle.

Just not enough to grow a spine and play out the rest of his contract just because Smith said he wasn't in the club's plans. Let's face it, if you can't commit to Jennifer Hawkins, you can't commit to sh*t.

strewth_mate

Bench
Burraston had a microphone in front of him and would have had to give some kind of throwaway response. Can't really get away with saying 'no, we wouldn't accept the dog' - this is probably as close as you could get to saying 'no comment' and letting the bait float by.

Misanthrope said:
Just not enough to grow a spine and play out the rest of his contract just because Smith said he wasn't in the club's plans. Let's face it, if you can't commit to Jennifer Hawkins, you can't commit to sh*t.
One of your best! :lol: The Jennifer Hawkins dumping is like losing the 30 million powerball draw cos you didn't register.

KempoKnight

Juniors
LOL ill give him props for being able to get in with her but what an idiot who dumps JF haahah dickhead of the highest order.

Matt23

Staff member
99% off us would'nt piss on him if he was on fire...most of the supporters here don't want the Judas back.

~knights~

Juniors
you want to know why?

get this!!!!

he wanted to concentrate on his footy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I heard him say it :lol:
NBN interviewed clint not long after jen won the miss universe contest ....and All the knights boys were giving clint a hardtime at training etc :lol:

~knights~

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/change-of-heart/2007/10/12/1191696170655.html

THEY didn't want him in May. Now, the Knights are set to meet with Clint Newton about the stunning possibility of bringing the premiership winner back home.

Yesterday, Newton stepped off a plane from Thailand, where he was celebrating with Storm teammates, to learn that Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston wants to talk to him - possibly as soon as Monday.

The development provides a glimmer of hope that the back-rower will return to his former club just five months after coach Brian Smith told him he wasn't considered a "valuable asset".

Newton declined to discuss the prospect of returning to the Knights when contacted yesterday and said he wanted to stay at the Storm.

But that is becoming less likely by the day, with the premiers scrambling to find enough money to fit him into their groaning salary cap.

"My preference is to remain in Melbourne," Newton told the Herald. "There are still a few things I'd like to achieve in the NRL. I'd like to play more representative footy. At Melbourne, I can do that under Craig Bellamy and the regime they have down there.
"If I don't stay in the NRL, the other option is to go to England with a big smile on my face and knowing I've shared something special with some good mates."

It was not clear last night if Smith will attend the meeting, but Burraston confirmed that any possible move for Newton was contingent on the coach.
"Brian Smith returns from annual leave on Monday and I'll be discussing the situation with him then," Burraston said.

"If he is interested, we'll talk to [Knights development officer] Warren Smiles to see if there are available funds in our cap. Our problem will be finding room under the cap."
Newton and Smith would have to put a truckload of animosity behind them if the player was to rejoin the Knights. After winning the grand final, Newton said: "Loyalty is what got me to Melbourne. I played under Craig Bellamy in the Country side and obviously he saw something in me that the other bloke [Smith] didn't, and that's all you're after as a player."

Newton has a better relationship with Burraston, who coached him at Jersey Flegg level and for Australia and NSW under-19s.
"I'm becoming fairly frustrated at the situation," Newton said of not knowing where he would be playing next year. "I would like to know what my future holds. I don't have an option anywhere [in the NRL] as it stands now."

His best bet still remains the Super League, and he is considering a two-year deal with Hull KR. Any deal to join the Knights would be contingent on what happens with forward Kirk Reynoldson, who this week took his case to the NRL appeals committee over the club's decision not to activate a clause in his contract giving him another year.
Any deal to remain at the Storm would depend on whether fellow back-rower Jeremy Smith accepts a three-year deal to join St George Illawarra.

Latest posts