What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

RABK

Referee
Ryles is a no go, likely to go to england.

White and Cross are the likely targets. Unlikely to get either.

RABK

Referee
We'd be so unattractive for star players atm, that'll hinder any recruitment we do.

We've got the money to sign a couple of Origin quality forwards though. Smith seems to be happy with the backs if he gets Wes.

Jono078

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
I'm hearing Woolnough and Waterhouse in a mid season swap.

Why on earth would we do that!

The bloke has a broken leg doesnt he?

As for Waterhouse, he's only good in the secondrow, and even then I think id prefer Paterson and Simpson ahead of him, odd odd signing.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Any 2 half decent Props would do, and keep Woolnough for the bench. We just have to get rid of Perry, im sick of defending him his just so bloody lazy.

Pika

Bench
My source was right about Newton aye.

Newton is part of the peaheart culture that we need out of this club, i can understand the love for him based on his late 2005 form but based on his 01-mid 05 and 06-07 form he is no better then Perry. Absolute deadwood playing well below potential.

Good riddance. And please by all means any other peahearts, and there is a few, in the club that might be feeling the same as Clint quickly follow suit and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Indeed :)

Pika

Bench
I have not had a call up.

Maybe I am off to England for the big bucks as well.......

Alex28

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Never did I say "bleeding". Don't put words in my mouth.
Johns Magic said:
I'm sure Newton did bleed red and blue until the club turned their back on him.
Clutching at straws mate - you know what I'm getting at. Walking out on your mates half way through the season no matter what the circumstances are isn't on. No better than Jamie Lyon I'd suggest and he cops plenty.

Alex28

Coach
If they are expendible to the club they might just be allowed to go. They might just be doing us a favour!

RABK

Referee
Alex28 said:
If they are expendible to the club they might just be allowed to go. They might just be doing us a favour!

I'm kind of hoping that a certain few players do follow Clint...

Jono078

Referee
I'm kind of hoping that a certain few players do follow Clint...
The way I see it, the more that go the more experience the younger ones will gain.

Although losing experience will hurt, we hardly have many senior players out to help all the young ones.

Oh, and it's fine by me if it is just those that havnt been quite up to scratch for multiple years.

Burwood

Bench
Newton the first to quit Knights

MELBOURNE officials are considering making a formal approach to representative forward Clint Newton after he left the Knights yesterday in a dramatic move predicted to be the start of an exodus from the club.

Newton, who played his 100th first-grade match for Newcastle in Sunday's record 71-6 loss to Brisbane, said his heart was no longer with the club and hinted at a falling-out with new coach Brian Smith after being granted a release from the rest of his contract.

Despite having played for the Prime Minister's XIII in 2005 and being selected for Country Origin the past two seasons, Newton was unhappy to have been dropped from the Knights leadership group and felt he did not fit into Smith's long-term plans.

The departure of the 25-year-old son of golfing great Jack Newton coincided with the retirement yesterday of veteran prop Luke Davico, who has not played first grade this season, and several other players are also set to leave.

Among them are starting front-rowers Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough, who are both off contract and yet to receive an offer to stay, and centre George Carmont.

The Knights signed Luke MacDougall from St George Illawarra yesterday and have been linked with two more Dragons, prop Jason Ryles and centre Wes Naiqama.

Jack Newton, who is also his son Clint's manager said: "A new coach is going to put his stamp on the joint, there's no doubt about that. One would have expected that from someone like Brian, which is fair enough.

"[But] when you've got local boys and blokes who are passionate about the jumper and the culture of the club, when you start to bring players in from all over the place, is our culture under threat? That's a question I pose but I don't know the answer to that."

Newton revealed that after recently receiving a London Harlequins offer, Smith told him that he was considered a "floater" at the Knights and should strongly consider accepting it.

The Newcastle-born second-rower said he felt he could no longer play for the club after hearing that.

"It's extremely difficult for me to come to this decision but I feel it's in the best interests of myself to do this now," Newton said. "It's too hard a game to play at the best of times, let alone when you're struggling with other influences that make it even harder. Having to leave mid-season, leave all my best mates, and my family and this town behind me, that's the hardest thing for me. But right now I'm not happy, and I play this game because I love it.

"I'm just sorry that I can't help them for the rest of the year. I just can't do it any more, and that's why this decision has come to a head today."

Asked last night about a falling-out with Newton, Smith said: "[There's] no fall-out from my end, mate."

But Newton, who has a British passport, said he was considering offers from clubs in Australia and England, which are believed to include Wigan and St Helens.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said no one from his club had spoken officially to Newton or his father, but a Melbourne official confirmed the Storm's interest - provided he was prepared to play for little money this season.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/newton-the-first-to-quit-knights/2007/05/28/1180205160664.html

That is pretty piss poor there. When this news first broke I was worried that Smith was at fault, but after reading this article I can't see this at all. All I can see is a bad case of sour grapes from Newton.

And does anybody else have the feeling that Clint has had his dad whispering thoughts of loyalty and culture in his ear? What does the club seriously owe Newton? Certainly not membership in the "lifelong knight" club based solely on the fact he is a local boy.

Yosh

Coach
Man life sux atm.

Hopefully this is a one step back for ten steps forward thing. Newton leaving the club is a bad thing we all know it even if we are trying to make excuses that it is good ridance. He was a quality (in terms of comparing him to our other forwards) forward and it will hurt us for a couple of rounds till another forward takes his place. Geez bad bad week...

perverse

Referee
see ya clint, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

so how much more $ do we have in the bank now that this has happened?

Frederick

Staff member
perverse said:
see ya clint, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

so how much more $ do we have in the bank now that this has happened?
Apparently over half the entire salary cap

AdamT

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
I wouldn't rule out a rift. Newton never struck me as a workaholic, just simply a toiler who did what had to be done with a bit of heart. He probably struggled under Smith's regime of working hard at training after the years of Hagan. He has heart, but just never got the work ethic into him.

EG, i know he turned up late for a pre-season weekend training camp at Port Stephens this year (along with one other first-grader) and they were both sent home. That's just plain lazy.

Hey MadCow. Seems like you are in the scoop with such inside info. He was a professional athelte who may have been late for one training session - It doesnt make him lazy you tool. Check your facts before you shoot your mouth off for the 2,320th time with dribble son.

AdamT

Juniors
Bring it home Knights said:
A mate of mine used to be team mates with newton. My mate mentioned how he was one of the hardest trainers he has come across. There was an article in league week a few years ago also refering to his impressive training.

I'll be dissapointed to lose newton. He may have a few knock ons in him at this stage of his career, but his runs on the left edge are invaluable.

Well said Bring It on Knights. Me thinks Danish Mad Cow speaks through his butt.

Latest posts