What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

AdamT

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Once Newton made it clear HE didn't want to play for the club it made his position untenable. He had a position with the club for 2007 - he was the one who walked out on us.

Don't blame Smith. Don't blame the club. Don't blame any one but Clint for this.

"Bleeding Red and Blue" would have been seeing out the year after everything he has been through with the club with dignity and getting the farewell at the last home game that he deserved. He wont get it, nor does he deserve it.

Maybe our Mastermind and Acting CEO had decided to LET HIM GO to free up the salary cap for this year. They heard Roosters and Dragons were doing a similar thing and thought he'd copy seeing he rarely conceives an original good idea. Maybe he's poised to sign SBW or another great star like we did with BK in about 1999 - We havent signed any superstars since - apart from Carney who went back to England on compassionate grounds only to play Rugby for Ireland.

We can have all the money in the Salary Cap free we like but there are only so many players that clubs are silly enough to let go of. So we wil generally on get the dreggs with our management's expertise. We dont even have a REAL CEO for F sake. We've known since Dec 2006 or really 4 years before that we didnt have a real CEO. And we still dont.

AdamT

Juniors
Gene Krupa said:
You can justify his dummy spit all you want. The club didn't turn their back on him. So we should keep every under performing player because they WANT to play for us? Seriously JM, you usually make sense but your love of Newton is clouding your judgement. He's the one who called it quits, not Smith, not the Knights. He's the one who wanted to walk away from his mates. He's the one who put his own self interests first! No one came up to him and said, Clint, we're letting you go as of now. The Knights were given no option. Why would they WANT to keep a person who only thinks of themselves around? Atleast we know for sure his heart was never in the game on Sunday. Just wanted 100 games. What a team player! :roll:

Simon - you are one strange dude to talk about Dummy Spits. You can compete with the best of them.

Big Tim

First Grade
I dont say this much, but Johns Magic I totally agree with you.

If the Clint was walking out on the club, and leaving it in a mess, you would think the Knights management would have the right to refuse his request..... thats right, they do have that right. They could have kept him of they wanted him.

All of you that are calling it sour grapes, wake up. Have you ever been at a job (Football is his job) and been told that in a few months you wont be needed.... do you:

a) Put in the most effort you can in a useless attempt to convince management otherwise.
b) Cut your ties immediately and find work somewhere else where you are wanted and appreciated

Imagine now that this job is your life, you live and breath Football. Consider the options rationally.

I applaud Clint's decision. Anyone who doesnt feel they are wanted are certainly never gonna give 100% and nobody on this forum wants a player wearing a Knights jersey that is not willing to give his heart and soul to the club.

I have no doubt Clint would give everything for his mates, but how can you expect him to play for a management that doesnt want him???

Saying it is selfish is also incorrect. I highly doubt that the Storm will pay him anything close to what we were.... so it was not a money issue, but a management one. we have over 1.5mil to spend for next year, it is not like the O'Meley case were the Dogs couldnt afford all 3 players, so they are in no way similair cases.

I have heard that this all began after Clint represented Country and Smith refused to let him back up, even though Clint was rearing to go.

Good luck Clint, I hope you get your premiership ring.

I feel that we are not going to have a shot at the title this year as we do not have the depth in Forwards at the moment.

I feel for guys like Franze and Sargeant who have 1st grade experience and are being overlooked. If Sargeant doesnt play this weel I will be very pissed, and if young Pup doesnt impress, or Tighe has another standard game Franze should get a go as I dont see any of them sticking around.

Our club is up sh*t creek, lets hope we have a big paddle.

B-dos

Referee
Big Tim said:
All of you that are calling it sour grapes, wake up. Have you ever been at a job (Football is his job) and been told that in a few months you wont be needed.... do you:

a) Put in the most effort you can in a useless attempt to convince management otherwise.
b) Cut your ties immediately and find work somewhere else where you are wanted and appreciated

its called a contract mate.

Big Tim said:
I dont say this much, but Johns Magic I totally agree with you.

If the Clint was walking out on the club, and leaving it in a mess, you would think the Knights management would have the right to refuse his request..... thats right, they do have that right. They could have kept him of they wanted him.

Imagine now that this job is your life, you live and breath Football. Consider the options rationally.

I applaud Clint's decision. Anyone who doesnt feel they are wanted are certainly never gonna give 100% and nobody on this forum wants a player wearing a Knights jersey that is not willing to give his heart and soul to the club.

I have no doubt Clint would give everything for his mates, but how can you expect him to play for a management that doesnt want him???

Saying it is selfish is also incorrect. I highly doubt that the Storm will pay him anything close to what we were.... so it was not a money issue, but a management one. we have over 1.5mil to spend for next year, it is not like the O'Meley case were the Dogs couldnt afford all 3 players, so they are in no way similair cases.

I have heard that this all began after Clint represented Country and Smith refused to let him back up, even though Clint was rearing to go.

Good luck Clint, I hope you get your premiership ring.

I feel that we are not going to have a shot at the title this year as we do not have the depth in Forwards at the moment.

I feel for guys like Franze and Sargeant who have 1st grade experience and are being overlooked. If Sargeant doesnt play this weel I will be very pissed, and if young Pup doesnt impress, or Tighe has another standard game Franze should get a go as I dont see any of them sticking around.

Our club is up sh*t creek, lets hope we have a big paddle.

I appreciate your emotion Big T, but Newton is a very overrated footballer. Next season I am sure your tune that you sing will be a much happier one. Keep the faith man.

miladi

Juniors
Just one question, and I hope I don't get blasted for asking it. How is Clint Newton going to Melbourne mid season so much worse than Luke Mac Dougall coming to Newcastle or Jamie Soward's move? Or is it just when Newcastle players jump that it is not right?

B-dos

Referee
Clint Newton is a starting first grader. He would have played every game for us this year if fit.

Granted, its similar to MacDougal and Soward but there is a slight difference.

Frederick

Staff member
miladi said:
Just one question, and I hope I don't get blasted for asking it. How is Clint Newton going to Melbourne mid season so much worse than Luke Mac Dougall coming to Newcastle or Jamie Soward's move? Or is it just when Newcastle players jump that it is not right?
Soward and MacDougall hadn't preached about how they "love this club" and "wouldn't leave it for the world" etc etc etc. Also, they didn't have their fathers in the media mkaing us out to be the bad guys in all this. Soward and Doogs also weren't regular first grade players at their clubs - they were languishing in Premier League, so had genuine cause to be concerned. Newton was guaranteed to be in Firsts every week, and only jumped ship cause he lacks ticker.

Johns Magic

Referee
Frederick said:
Soward and MacDougall hadn't preached about how they "love this club" and "wouldn't leave it for the world" etc etc etc. Also, they didn't have their fathers in the media mkaing us out to be the bad guys in all this. Soward and Doogs also weren't regular first grade players at their clubs - they were languishing in Premier League, so had genuine cause to be concerned. Newton was guaranteed to be in Firsts every week, and only jumped ship cause he lacks ticker.

Where did Newton say he "wouldn't leave it for the world"?

Newton wasn't going to further his career here. He had no future here, and was specifically told so. What's the point of him being here? To unhappily see-out his contract?

As far as we know, MacDougall and Soward were not told that they had no future at the club. If anything, they had more to play for than Newton.

Newton switched because he wasn't happy at the club, and he would only be there until Smith could get rid of him.

MacDougall and Soward switched because they were upset at being in Premier League. That's softer than what Newton did.

You argue that those two left because they wanted to further their careers...well that's exactly what Newton did. His career here was dead.

Big Tim

First Grade
B-dos said:
Clint Newton is a starting first grader. He would have played every game for us this year if fit.

Granted, its similar to MacDougal and Soward but there is a slight difference.

What about the Dogs game after the Country game.... he says he was fit, but he didnt play. From what I heard that was the last straw.

Contract? That contract can be broken by either party at any time. Newton and the club came to this decision, so it is not entirely Clint's doing.

He is a novocastrian and wish him all the best as he attempts to further his career.