What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown scrap Jim Beam

Jeffles

Bench
2 True Blues said:
been trying to find out who they are for sometime jeffles, can you enlighten us with some names perhaps there cobber ???

No idea. I leave that to the coaches and I haven't been around training for quite some time. It is important to note that the list will be bigger than appears, given that some Roosters contracted players will have payments subsidised by Newtown.

bluebagger

Juniors
Just as a mattter of interest how much does it cost to put a Jim Beam Cup tem on the paddock ? I guess the decision looks set in stone but anyway of raising revenue to field a team ? I've always thought a summer rock concert at Henson would be a great revenue raiser for Newtown. However the local residents would be up in arms with taht idea. Seems such a pity to the team fold hopefully it is only temporary. Will miss seeing guys like Andrew LeBreton run around.

Bluebag

Juniors
Check the roosters site for their squad. Depth isn't that big an issue as most this year came from Flegg and only a handful of JBC played in PL. Bennett, Lang, Parker, Vial, Lai.

The rest were Flegg players. The Jets site will be rejigged soon.

Bluebag

Juniors
The club had a sponsor a player plan which was not fully subscribed by fans and given the potential revenue to help pay for JBC players. Hopefully everyone can either sponsor a PL player this year and get their boss to do the same where possible and help out the club. Costs are closer to 500k not 300k.

2 True Blues

Coach
The salary cap is about 150 thousand per season if I recall correctly, so they would have to spend that much on players just to be competable unless got plenty of cheap talented buys.

Jeffles

Bench
There is no auditor for the JBC so if there is a salary cap, it's pretty useless. In fact, seeing what other clubs do spend, $150k is wishful thinking for a few.

The NSWRL recognises that the points system is what brings teams closer together in that competition.

2 True Blues

Coach
Think you will find there is a cap and that is the amount ?? Remember reading it on the saints forum somewhere, in relation to the new Shellharbor side etc.

Jeffles

Bench
2 True Blues said:
Think you will find there is a cap and that is the amount ?? Remember reading it on the saints forum somewhere, in relation to the new Shellharbor side etc.

That wasn't my point. There may well be a cap but there is zero enforcement. That's one reason for the Points System. The NSWRL keeps this as a leveller.

testeagles

Juniors
still find it hard to comprehend no jim beam team. what are newtown goin to do with the extra cash that they will save from not entering a team??? i felt as though the jim beam were the real newtown jets training and all signed to newtown, with loyal players like David Vial and Adam Bennett giving up more money at other clubs prefering to play for newtown. Now we just have to follow the roosters who put on a newtown shirt once a week.

Jeffles

Bench
testeagles said:
still find it hard to comprehend no jim beam team. what are newtown goin to do with the extra cash that they will save from not entering a team??? i felt as though the jim beam were the real newtown jets training and all signed to newtown, with loyal players like David Vial and Adam Bennett giving up more money at other clubs prefering to play for newtown. Now we just have to follow the roosters who put on a newtown shirt once a week.

Spoken like a true outsider!

The money saved = the difference between making a loss and breaking even. We won't be saving anything because we were spending money quicker than we were getting it back.

As for the players, they do have a Newtown spirit. The players want to play NRL obviously but they really get into the Newtown Jets culture because (unlike at other clubs) they are appreciated by loads of people despite being "2nd graders".

Any more flaming?

2 True Blues

Coach
From Bluebag on the NSWRL forum :

This is a year of consolidation as we are spending considerably more on PL for contracted places, it is hoped we will reenter in season 2008 but the costs of JBC and the lack of return made it difficult next year.

*** Would be really good if you posted this gossip on our own website Bluebag !!! ***

2 True Blues

Coach
testeagles said:

It's all business mate !!! ;-)

girvie

Staff member
2 True Blues said:
From Bluebag on the NSWRL forum :

This is a year of consolidation as we are spending considerably more on PL for contracted places, it is hoped we will reenter in season 2008 but the costs of JBC and the lack of return made it difficult next year.

*** Would be really good if you posted this gossip on our own website Bluebag !!! ***

Does anyone know who Newtown have signed? Or who is training with Newtown?

Bluebag

Juniors
2TB,

Those are my views and the official website does not post "gossip" it will depend on a lot of issues ie MONEY as the cost of running a JBC team is very high and considering that the crowds for JBC games were no where near as high as PL games it would be very diificult to continue.
For those who had the opportunity to sponsor a player this year for JBC and did not then what can you say.

Jeffles

Bench
I didn't see that you asked me a question. Newtown players don't get finalised until late February. I don't know who is signed at the moment and I won't find ut for a while. I'm on holidays.

testeagles said:

I have to admit, I too thought of the JBC team as the real heart and sole of the Jets as the blokes who played JBC were Newtown players and not Roosters reserves. *sigh*...

Oh well, guess that the reality of modern rugby league and it's better than watching merged scum!