What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Captain

My opinion on Young

Decent footballer who wears his heart on his sleeve and bleeds red and white, has a fantastic attitude and would never give up.

In years gone by these qualities have stood out greatly because the team has lacked leadership from its coach, and with overpaid nuffies like Ryles and Gaz, Youngs fantastic attitude stood out and was impressive.

Now all the players in the club share the same attitude with Wayne at the Helm.

IMO opinion Young would struggle to be in the top 17 at quite a few NRL clubs

He has no real position....

These days a 9 needs to have quick feet and a sharp passing game, Young Posesses neither

As a back rower, you also need to have some pace to run into holes or at least be able to bend the line back, Young cant do this either.

I know it is a bit of a hard luck story with his knee and such and his old man is a legend at the club but this is a proffessional sport, its tough and i dont think he is the best option anywhere in our team

im sorry if it hurts, but hey thats my opinion

You have no idea what your talking about, its better to let people think your an idiot as opposed to opening your mouth and removing all doubt...

petetheileet

First Grade
You have no idea what your talking about, its better to let people think your an idiot as opposed to opening your mouth and removing all doubt...

HAHAHA

mate i have put forward an opinion with logical reasons why i think that way...

argue against my point if you are upto it, but honestly most people would have to agree with most things i have said

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm not most people, and I guess neither is Bennett. Young is one of our more valuable players, which is why he has started every game this year (btw we're 4 points clear at the top of the ladder). The quality and quantity of his ruck defence is immense, the flexibility he offers the pack with his ability to play long minutes switching from hooker to a ballplaying backrower, he actually straightens the attack and attracts defenders when he has the ball in hand, his passing from dummy half is actually quite fine - Nathan Fien came up with more average passes on Friday night than Young, and add on that the intangible qualities he provides including leadership, a cool head, and the constant talk

I'm not most people, and I guess neither is Bennett. Young is one of our more valuable players, which is why he has started every game this year (btw we're 4 points clear at the top of the ladder). The quality and quantity of his ruck defence is immense, the flexibility he offers the pack with his ability to play long minutes switching from hooker to a ballplaying backrower, he actually straightens the attack and attracts defenders when he has the ball in hand, his passing from dummy half is actually quite fine - Nathan Fien came up with more average passes on Friday night than Young, and add on that the intangible qualities he provides including leadership, a cool head, and the constant talk

Thats exactly why we need him in our team!

watatank

Coach

I was in the middle of typing a similar post, but you've pretty much summed it up. Just to add though...

I think the main problem people have with Young is that he doesn't have the impact he used to or that the way he plays doesn't fit in with what people thinks he should be playing like (which ties in with the first point). I'm not sure comparing Young with other backrowers is wise anyway. Costigan for example runs harder and hits harder than Young but is no where as efficient in defence and can be much more of a liability, in both attack and defence. Not saying Young is a better player or anything but it's worth noting such things.

In saying that, he's still a quality player IMO and there's little doubt that he's valuable to this team.

To think Young is but a "decent footballer that wouldn't make the Top 17 of many teams you have to think you're a better judge of talent then:

1. Wayne Bennett
2. Phil Gould
3. Warren Ryan

You know, more or less the three best coaches still alive.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach

Spot on Godz. Every team needs a no-nonsense player like Young in their side to cover all the 1% duties around the ruck.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dean is the ultimate clubman. He gives it all for the club and will do anything for the boys. He leads by example and does not stop giving 100% from the 1st min to the last. It would be an easy decision to make him the next captain.

In saying that Coops would be a good captain as well. He has done it before. He is another great clubman and could have left the club for bigger dollars but chose to stay. Very well respected in the NRL. When he is injured he is at the game and next to Benny if you notice which goes to show how much he loves the club and how much respect he has for it.

big pat

Coach
i have a good idea for all the dean young knockers, come to the fanday at kogarah on saturday, and tell wayne bennett what you think.

Nugby

Juniors
Will definitely be Deano, can't believe the number of people who don't rate the bloke!

dragonfire

Bench
I don't think Wayne will ever hand Jamie the captaincy. He does not have the personality.

Jamie plays his best football when he concentrates on his own game as we have seen this year. I don't think he is a leader.

I say Dean Young.

Young/Creagh. As you said Soward i dont think will ever be able to be given the captaincy, you saw how he acted against the Storm and needed Hornby to settle him down. He needs to be able to control himself and dont know if he could

Latest posts