What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next team to break the drought?

gregstar

Referee
the storm.

rupert is demanding answers from the nrl.

4 years is too long.

or the drongos

rupert is demanding answers from the nrl.

10 years is too long

BranVan3000

Coach
It would look like Raiders but let's see if Ricky can keep them consistently up there for a few years. It wouldn't be the first or last time a team faded quickly after a fantastic year

natheel

Coach
It'd be either Raiders or Parra for me

Raiders for obvious reasons

The way eels played this year under such adversity even with make shift halves tells me Arthur has that group of players minds purely in the right state to go on a serious charge while he is in charge

Danish

Referee
Raiders or titans are my picks, either 2017 or 2018. I can see Parra winning one in the next 5-6 seasons as well, though.

I just don't see the Warriors winning one anytime soon

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Parra in 2018 going by previous history.

Bulldogs cheated 2002 won it 2004.
Storm cheated 2010 won it 2012.
Sharks cheated 2014 won it 2016.

Pattern much?

FTR I think it'll be Titans or Raiders to break the drought next.

Spade

Juniors
It would look like Raiders but let's see if Ricky can keep them consistently up there for a few years. It wouldn't be the first or last time a team faded quickly after a fantastic year

Penrith came 4th 2014, beaten by the Dogs in the prelim and then 11th in 2015, wouldn't surprise me if we see something similar here.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Who hasn't won a jj giltinan shield?

Bellyaches sour grapes moaning to the Melb fans that it's harder to win a minor prem than four rounds of finals footy has got me thinking whether there is a slight ring of truth to that.

Some people think finals should be done away with completely but that's just unaustralian. Also winning one just doesn't have that same level of satisfaction knowing you have to beat the next best head on.

Anyway looking at the winners is an interesting read. A lot of back to back winners. And warriors have won one, whereas Newcastle hasn't.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Giltinan_Shield

Last edited:

LazyDreamer

Bench
Raiders are probably best-placed of the drought teams to do it next year.

And given recent history (Dogs - cap cheats - won two years after being caught. Ditto Storm. Sharks - drug cheats - won two years after being caught), Parra in '18.